Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mumanddaughter Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 26, 2009, 12:48 AM
    Dark chocolate to light brown? Hair crisis
    Hey. My natural hair colour is medium/light blonde. Last year I started getting a few light blonde streaks. 7 weeks ago I dyed my hair warm brown which said it would wash out in 6-8 weeks. It didn't come out fully so I was left with a light brown with a few blonde bits through it. I didn't like it. So my mum dyed it blonde but all that happened was it gave me a blonde GT stipe down my hair line. That same day we bought a permanent chocolate brown colour. I really still want to be a blonde again. We did a tester streak with bleach to see what it would turn out to if we streaked it. But I'm afraid it will be too dark.
    Is it possible to dye my hair a light brown then streak it afterwards? :confused:
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Sep 26, 2009, 05:38 AM

"Color won't lighten color" is a phrase often heard in the industry. You tried to lighten dyed hair. You need to remove the current color (ColorFix, Color Oops, Color Zap) and then re-dye it the color you want.

After using color remover, your hair won't be a pleasant color, so don't panic. You may have to bleach it after using color remover if you want to get it fairly light. However, bleach doesn't work on artificial pigment the same as it does on natural pigment so that's why you need to remove the artificial pigment with color remover, first.
    catsang3 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 7, 2010, 09:12 PM
    Trying to remove color can leave you with a big mess... especially if you don't know what your doing... and more than that... it is usually unnecessary... although color doesn't remove color... bleach will, (something better left to a licensed stylist)... and it sounds like that's all she's needing a few hi-lights... and just a few tiny sections would make a difference) hi-lighting and low lighting is always they best way to go unless your trying to cover gray hair or darken... If your going to play with color the best bet is to use temporary colors although they will not lighten the hair only deposit color... but no matter what it's called... temporary only applies to virgin.. healthy... non porous hair... something a lot of people even hairdressers don't realize... that' why your color didn't come totally out... it would be like pouring cool-aid on a white table cloth... ( the white table cloth being your over processes or porous hair... it may lighten when washed.. but only bleach will get it out... it may wash off your hands but it stains the porous table cloth... Coloring hair is a simple process... if you know the science of it and twenty years of corrective experience... stripping hair and starting over again is rarely the solution... bottom line is you can either play until you get it right... or go to a professional... and by the way light brown or dishwater hair is the easiest to color or hi-lite... your first mistake was when your mom put an all over blonde on your scalp... a lot of tiny hi-lites would have done the trick and would have looked more natural...
    catsang3 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 7, 2010, 09:12 PM
    Trying to remove color can leave you with a big mess... especially if you don't know what your doing... and more than that... it is usually unnecessary... although color doesn't remove color... bleach will, (something better left to a licensed stylist)... and it sounds like that's all she's needing a few hi-lights... and just a few tiny sections would make a difference) hi-lighting and low lighting is always they best way to go unless your trying to cover gray hair or darken... If your going to play with color the best bet is to use temporary colors although they will not lighten the hair only deposit color... but no matter what it's called... temporary only applies to virgin.. healthy... non porous hair... something a lot of people even hairdressers don't realize... that' why your color didn't come totally out... it would be like pouring cool-aid on a white table cloth... ( the white table cloth being your over processes or porous hair... it may lighten when washed.. but only bleach will get it out... it may wash off your hands but it stains the porous table cloth... Coloring hair is a simple process... if you know the science of it and twenty years of corrective experience... stripping hair and starting over again is rarely the solution... bottom line is you can either play until you get it right... or go to a professional... and by the way light brown or dishwater hair is the easiest to color or hi-lite... your first mistake was when your mom put an all over blonde on your scalp... a lot of tiny hi-lites would have done the trick and would have looked more natural...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I dye dark brown hair to light ash brown [ 3 Answers ]

Can I dye dark brown hair to light ash brown color

Can I dye my hair a light brown the day after I died it dark brown/blackish? [ 1 Answers ]

Alrighty, so I died my hair a dark brown, and it kind of came out black. So I would like to go back to a lighter brown but still dark. Can I do that today? I have a business thing tomorrow and would rather I did not have this hair colour?? HELP!! :confused:

How do I color my hair from dark brown to light brown [ 1 Answers ]

I did my hair from light brown to dark brown. Now I can't go back to light> I already tried. I tried adding lemon to my hair. Even a bit of peroxide but it still doesn't work. Does anyone else have a suggestion without bleaching my hair what I can do?

Dying my dark brown hair light brown. [ 5 Answers ]

I'd like some advice on dying my dark brown hair light brown. I dyed it myself few years ago a light ash brown and it turned red :eek: After that I had my hair stylist put blonde high lights in it to cover gray. Now that the highlights aren't covering the gray, I'd like to dye my hair light brown....

Dark blonde/light brown to dark brown hair [ 3 Answers ]

Hey! My hair color is dark blond or a really light brown.. I-m not sure and I want to dye it dark brown? Is it safe? Or will I be getting a reddish color after a few washes? My natural hair is light brown but I dyed it.. a medium chocolate the stylist said but it really turned out to be a blondish...

View more questions Search