Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    m goodwin Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Sep 24, 2009, 03:14 PM
    Well Water Preassure
    I looked at the other post and tried what they had to say about turning the two screws. It was no help I still have no water pressure. I put in a brand new well pump about a year ago. Do I need to call a plummer
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Sep 24, 2009, 03:58 PM

Right now you need to tell us more about your well and pump. What's it doing and not doing.
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Sep 24, 2009, 04:08 PM

Yes, please give us the lowdown on your situation. We may be able to give some better advice. Lee.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 25, 2009, 05:14 AM
    I want to know about your house piping. Is it copper, plastic or galvanized? How old is your home? Did this low pressure just start or has this been a ongoing situation? Is that why you installed a new pump? Details! Give us something to work with here. Tom

Sep 25, 2009, 02:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hkstroud View Post
    Right now you need to tell us more about your well and pump. What's it doing and not doing.
    OK I have a well and the water was real bad when I purchased the home. We got the rainsoft equipment and had nothing but problems sense. I ran out of water I called around and was told that I need a well pump which I bought about a year ago. When the well guys came by they told me that my preassure tank was not holding preassure so I purchased a new one all the equipment is 1-2 years old my home is around 2700 Sq Ft only 2 people my wife and I. OK to the problem I turn on the water from anywhere in the home and I get a trinkle at best. I looked at the gage on the tank it was at 40 I don't know where to start and do not want to get ripped off by some bad company
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Sep 25, 2009, 02:49 PM

I am assuming the gauge is good. If that's the case, then your water softener might be the problem. It probably has a bypass. Turn the bypass valve, then check your faucet in the house again.
    Plumbing Expert

Sep 25, 2009, 02:54 PM

Im agree with jlisenbe. I just had a call today for low pressure on well system and it was the water softener. Also, if you have any filters in the system change them. If your gauge is accurate, 40psi should be good. Watch the gauge while running water and let us know if it moves and what pressure it reads on the low and high end. Does the rainsoft equiptment have a bypass? Good luck and please let us know the outcome. Lee.

Sep 25, 2009, 03:08 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mygirlsdad77 View Post
    Im agree with jlisenbe. I just had a call today for low pressure on well system and it was the water softener. Also, if you have any filters in the system change them. If your gauge is accurate, 40psi should be good. Watch the gauge while running water and let us know if it moves and what pressure it reads on the low and high end. Does the rainsoft equiptment have a bypass? Good luck and please let us know the outcome. Lee.
    The system I have has 4 units and each unit has like a key thing on top, would that be the bypass? He told me to turn it if I had a water leak

Sep 25, 2009, 03:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jlisenbe View Post
    I am assuming the gauge is good. If that's the case, then your water softener might be the problem. It probably has a bypass. Turn the bypass valve, then check your faucet in the house again.
    I found the bypass I turned them and talk about the preassure int the shower. Do I need to call rain soft or can I do anything?
    Plumbing Expert

Sep 25, 2009, 03:33 PM

So your saying the bypass on the rainsoft cured your problem? IF so, yes I suggest contacting the installer and having them take care of the problem.
    rewes Posts: 40, Reputation: 4

Sep 25, 2009, 04:17 PM

Find out for sure if your problam is water pressure or water volume. They can appear the same but actually have different causes. For example : If you have an old wheel handle gate valve anywhere"past the pump", such as one typically used at your garden hose fawcett, the gate, the part inside the valve that actually blocks the water passage way when the valve is in the closed position, can break away from the stem that is turning it... inside the valve body. It can break in the completely closed position or any partially closed/open position therfore limiting the amount of water that is allowed to pass through the valve body and into the house plumbing. This type of valve malfuntion can give the appearance of pressure or volume.
    To get an idea if it is pressure, hold your thumb over a fawcett. If you can stop the water from spitting out from under your thumb, you may likley have a pressure problem. If you have a volume problem, you shouldn't be able to hold the pressure back with your thumb. Note: if you have very low flow, be sure to wait long enough to let the pressure build up under your thumb.
    Good Luck
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Sep 25, 2009, 10:11 PM

I think the water softener is the problem. Sure sounds that way.
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 26, 2009, 05:17 AM
    Rewes mentioned pressure and volume. Actually you have to have both for good water flow and pressure. If bypassing the softener gives you back your pressure then follow the advice given and call the softener guys. Good luck, Tom

Sep 27, 2009, 07:19 AM

With regard to rewes statement about pressue and volume: The intent was to rule out a dropped/broken gate valve.
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 27, 2009, 09:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by rewes View Post
    With regard to rewes statement about pressue and volume: The intent was to rule out a dropped/broken gate valve.
    Hey! If the gate drops in a gate valve wouldn't you lose both pressure and volume? Which brings me back to my original sratement,
    Rewes mentioned pressure and volume. Actually you have to have both for good water flow and pressure
    Cheers, Tom

Sep 27, 2009, 11:34 AM
    If a gate valve drops in the completely closed position not allowing any water to pass.. . Of course you will have NO water to even deal with.

If your gate valve happens to drop and remain in a partially closed position, allowing less than a full pipe diameter of water to pass to the house plumbing, it will create a condition where there won't be enough water available to supply 1,2,or 3 open fawcetts at the same time. If you were able to attach a pressure gauge to each one of these open fawcetts. The gauge, after 1/2 a minute, would show a normal pressure reading for that system.

Where the confusion between pressure and volume begins is this : You have 1,2or 3 fawcetts flowing. You also have a Gate that has dropped to a partially open position not allowing the full pipe diameter of waterflow to supply the open fawcett or fawcetts. The first thing you are going to notice is the lack of force in which the water is exiting each fawcett. The average person is going to say.. . HEY! I don't have any water pressure!".
    The pressure is fine but the volume is too small to supply each fawcett with enough water to exit the fawcetts with the same amount of force that they are used to seeing.

Please go back and read my original answer. Every response that comes through on this site has many unspoken gray areas. Thanks
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 27, 2009, 01:32 PM
    I agree, he could have old galvanized piping choking down the volume or he could have misadjusted the control box to lower the pressure going into the house.
    [Please go back and read my original answer. Every response that comes through on this site has many unspoken gray areas. Thanks
    Thanks for explaining volume and pressure for us. Now if you would just stick around and clear up those "gray areas" that we leave I'm sure we would all be grateful . We do appreciate your input. Regards, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New hot water heater installed, but no hot water pressure. Plenty of cold water? [ 11 Answers ]

Hi, I own a small plumbing service and have a problem I've never encountered before. I installed a new top vented gas water heater for a customer. Turned the main back on, bled air out of the lines, etc. Problem is there is no hot water pressure throughout the house. Cold water pressure is fine....

No hot water in shower and water heater affects both cold and hot water flow [ 1 Answers ]

1. No hot water coming from shower even though there is hot water coming from face basin in same bathroom and throughout the house( moen plumbing) 2. when water heater valve to house is turned off the cold water and hot water from shower does not flow, yet in other faucets throughout the house...

No hot water preassure but have cold water preassure [ 11 Answers ]

Ok so I'm new at this whole thing, so I'm not even sure if I'm in the right category. :confused: I have cold water preassure, but no hot water preassure. The water gets hot, but there just isn't any preassure. Can someone please give me step by step on what I need to do to fix my problem... please...

Daylight basement water leak, cause by broken water pipe or saturated ground water? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 6 units 3 stories with daylight basement apartment. Build in 1960. Just bought it few months ago. Last year the previous owner had a bad flood in the daylight basement after long period of rain. They cleaned out the area, remodel it. Good for few months, last couple of weeks rain long...

View more questions Search