Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    theo827 Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Oct 30, 2006, 09:55 AM
    Relocating bathroom pipes
    Question. I am in the process of remodeling a bathroom. The bathroom is on the first floor and sits on a concrete slab. The plumbing for the sink and toilet are all under the concrete. The shower that was there had a raised floor and the plumbing was installed under that floor. I would like to relocate the sink and toilet. How hard would this be to do? I am pretty handy and thought about doing it myself. Is this a job that I should be calling a plumber in to do?

Many Thanks
    Chippe Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Oct 31, 2006, 12:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by theo827
    Question. I am in the process of remodeling a bathroom. The bathroom is on the first floor and sits on a concrete slab. The plumbing for the sink and toilet are all under the concrete. The shower that was there had a raised floor and the plumbing was installed under that floor. I would like to relocate the sink and toilet. How hard would this be to do? I am pretty handy and thought about doing it myself. Is this a job that I should be calling a plumber in to do?

Many Thanks
    I'm just like you, too cheap to hire anything done. I've built two houses by myself. What I would do is to dig around the outside to see where the sewer pipe is and what direction it goes. Is the new plan possible knowing that situation? Is it a gravity feed (or pumped). Is the sewer pipe concrete, metal or plastic? You're going to have to connect to that pipe, so make sure you can get the materials to do that. Then, assuming your plan is possible, go rent yourself a jackhammer, get yourself the proper safety protection, prepare the room for the dust and jack out the old, jack in the new (giving yourself enough room to work) and don't plan on using the fixture for a couple weeks.

Oct 31, 2006, 12:24 PM
    By no means am I cheap :o I am in computers, but love to do work around my house. Just the feeling alone of what you accomplished afterwards is great! It is a gravity feed and all the pipes are cast iron or copper. Does this matter? Is it hard to relocate the pipes once I figure what direction they are coming from? Also, should I replace with plastic or metal?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 31, 2006, 12:51 PM
    Hey Theo,

By all means convert to PVC for your changes. Tell you what we can do!
    This is major surgery you're getting into, not a weekend project. If you're a "puter geek" I know you have a digital camera and can scan us some pictures. After you jackhammer up the floor and remove the fixtures so we can see what you have we can walk you through the remodel one step at a time. Will you be pulling a permit for this job? Back to you Theo. Tom

Oct 31, 2006, 01:00 PM
    Do I need a permit for this job? How much do you think a job like this will cost? I have a call into a few plumbers to stop by and give me an estimate. This is also a second bathroom, so there is no rush. Do you want before pics also? Thanks
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 31, 2006, 01:25 PM
    Hi Theo,

"Do I need a permit for this job? How much do you think a job like this will cost? I have a call into a few plumbers to stop by and give me an estimate."

Call your local building department to ask about a permit but in any area that I've ever worked in any time you make a major change in your system they're going to want to inspect it. As for the cost remodels cost more then new construction. You can shavfe a large part of it by doing the work yourself. In order to help we would like a floor plan and a picture of the underground pipes before you start and follow up pix after that. Let us know. Tom
    Chippe Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Nov 1, 2006, 06:42 AM
    I would: go to a hardware store (or maybe to a plumbing outlet store if the old pipes are "exotic") and ask the guy on the floor what you need to couple plastic (which is what I would use - schedule 40) to whatever you have going to the street. You say cast iron or copper? Is cast iron; sewer out and copper; water in? Are there two pipes? Is one your water main? Got to be careful with the water main.
    Eternal Plumber

Nov 1, 2006, 07:31 AM
    Chippe,
    Go to a hard ware store for plumbing advice? Ask a big box sales person a question about plumbing design? Why do you think those guys are out there selling instead of out there doing? I think I would take the advice of the plumbers on this page before I would that of a parts salesman. We've been out there in a ditch laying pipe and working with our own plumbing designs while they hang in the stoire. Unless the salesman is a retired plumber I would certainly take a working and licensed plumbers word over that of a sales person any day of the week. We can tell you how to convert to PVC. I don't know exactly what "exotic pipes" are but when I find out we can probably help with that too. In short I think Chippe's mistaken in his advice and we stand on our record. Regards, Tom

Nov 1, 2006, 08:20 AM
    Well, I am undecided on whether to tackle this job. I have done plumbing before, just never dealt with concrete. However, if I do decide to go forward there will be plenty of pics being posted:D
    Thanks

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bathroom sink, pipes from floor [ 12 Answers ]

Hello. I just moved into a new apartment and find the bathroom sink vanity in terrible condition. I want to replace it, but see that the three pipes for water and drainage come up out of the floor (when you open the vanity doors you see the pipes going up from the floor to the basin)--instead...

Relocating from NY to KY [ 13 Answers ]

Ok so I am divorced from my son's farther, I have sole custody and he has visitation every other weekend. I am currently married to a United Sates Soldier who is located in Kentucky. My husband is 33 and I am 25, so no we are not young. I do medical billing for a hospital, I make OK money but...

Bathroom pipes [ 3 Answers ]

I am installing a new pipe in my bathroom sink. I thought I had everything attatched correctly, but water does not exit the pipes. The pipes are NOT clogged. Can you help me?

Relocating to Calgary [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I love drawing. I am by profession a textile engineer. I will soon get my immigrant visa to settle in canada and I plan to live in calgary. I have to think and plan of how I will start my new life there and how to earn money as I don't know a single person in calgary. Regarding earning I have...

Questions regarding bathroom pipes [ 8 Answers ]

I am having an issue in refinishing my bathroom. I have 1/2" cpvc pipes for the toilet water supply and also the hot and cold water supply for the sink in the bathroom. I need to replace the shut off valves for all three of these lines because they leak but I am considering taking these lines out...

View more questions Search