Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SlightlyBroken Posts: 38, Reputation: 2

Sep 21, 2009, 07:09 PM
    Calories burned/eaten?
    So I keep reading somewhere that for every 3,500 calories you b urn that you burn 1 pound of fat. I would like to start working out and burning 500 calories a day (eventually). I used to do that so I know I would be able to do it if I put my mind to it.
    However I don't know how many calories I need to eat in order to lose weight while doing that.
    By the way I am overweight.
    I am 18 years old and 5'5" and about 210 pounds so losing weight would be important to me but I want to do it in a way that would be possible. I love the feeling I have after working out so I wouldn't mind maintaining an exercise schedule.
    What should my goal on calories I eat be?
    Any other advice?
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Sep 23, 2009, 07:21 AM

Your BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate - or how many calories you burn just being alive) is about 1750. You can figure that you burn about 500 calories a day in an average day just doing the things that you do.

So add that up and your current static number is about 2250. So if you take in 2250 calories a day, your body will remain exactly where it is.

Now to lose weight, you need to adjust that number, either by exercising more or eating less... or better yet, a combination of both.

A good rule of thumb to follow is a 1500 calorie diet and 300 calories of exercise a day. That will give most people the target 1-2 pounds a week in weight loss. The exercise has the additional benefit of speeding up your metabolism making the diet more effective.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Converting J, calories, Calories, and KJ [ 2 Answers ]

1.) How much heat is absorbed when 132.2g of water is heated from 12.0 degrees Celsius to 85.0 degrees Celsius. Give your heat change in Joules and kilojoules. 2.) Specific Heat for water is 4.18 J/g Celsius degrees. How much heat is absorbed when 16.8g of water is heated from 3.0 degrees Celsius...

What fraction was eaten between them? [ 4 Answers ]

John eats 2/5 of a bar of chocolate. Linda eats 4/9 of what remains. What fraction of the bar of chocolate have they eaten between them? Is this correct? 1-2/5=3/5 (Which is what was eaten by John) 4/9 of 3/5=4/15 (She ate 4/15) 4/15 + 3/5 = 13/15 Which is the answer.. I am not sure...

Calories Burned During Sex: [ 4 Answers ]

:D REMOVING HER CLOTHES: With her consent... 12 Calories Without her consent... 2,187 Calories OPENING HER BRA: With both hands... 8 Calories With one hand... 12 Calories

My dog hasn't eaten for days [ 4 Answers ]

I have a 10month Shepard terrier mix who hasn't eaten for 10 days. He isn't depressed, actually he still wags his tail when he sees us. We took him to the vet but that was no help. All they did was give us some antibiotics but he still won't eat. Is there anything else I could do?

Calories burned in these exercises [ 0 Answers ]

How many calories are burned in 1 set of 15 push-ups? Crunches? Jumping jacks? How many calories are burned in 1 set of 12- biceps curls, using 10lb dumb bells? How many calories are burned in 1 set of 25 crunches using a body ball?

View more questions Search