Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rewes Posts: 40, Reputation: 4

Sep 21, 2009, 05:36 PM
    Toilet unused for 3 days smells of sewer
    We have had a sewer smell problem for a year and then discovered that the wax ring was virtually non existent. Put in a new wax ring. It seemed that the smell disappeared.

We went away for three days. Toilet was not used. Returned to the same aroma as before.

Before I pull the toilet off again Im wondering if there is something else that I'm not aware of that could be responsible for the smell.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Sep 21, 2009, 08:28 PM

When installing the wax ring, did you feel it being pressed down as you set the toilet? Before pulling toilet again, pour about a pint of water in each drain. Pour slowly. Do not flush toilet for a while and see if you still have odor.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 22, 2009, 03:32 AM
    When you left the toilet set did the bowl level go down any?

Sep 23, 2009, 07:02 PM

Bowl level was at normal.Yes, wax ring did feel as if it pressed down and into place.

No odor from other drains in bathroom
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 24, 2009, 04:57 AM
    When the toilet sets overnight will it smell worse in the morning? When you reset the bowl did you take a tube of Dap White Tub and Tile Caulk and run a bead around the base of the bowl to caulk it? If not then do it and see if that doesn't help. Good luck, Tom

Sep 24, 2009, 02:06 PM

Yes it smells a little worse in the morning after sitting overnight. I will try running a bead of tile caulk around the base of the toilet bowl thank you. Good thought. Why didn't I think of that!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My house smells like sewer [ 2 Answers ]

My house is one year old and it smells like sewer gas from time to time. All traps are full of water, no noise coming from drains and there is no smell outside. The temp outside is -4

Plug An Unused Toilet [ 1 Answers ]

I have an old toilet in the unfinished part of my basement that I've never used. The water to it is turned off. I have no intention to ever use it, but I don't know if I need to do anything to ensure sewer fumes don't come through it. (I haven't had any issues but have heard this could become an...

Unused, Empty Toilet [ 3 Answers ]

A year ago we shut the water to a toilet in our house off because it was constantly running. We were planning to replace the toilet (it was very old anyway) with a new one when we renovated the bathroom. Some time has passed and we are now ready to renovate and will replace the toilet. Will we...

House smells like sewer.really bad [ 1 Answers ]

The house has begun to smell like a sewer. I have a septic tank. It got really bad when the temp outside went below zero. The smell goes away at night and comes back in the morning as soon as the showers get going and toilets get flushed. I run from drain to drain and to toilets... I have 4 in...

1/2 bath smells like sewer [ 2 Answers ]

2 years ago we put in a new toilet in our half bath and everything was fine until 3 days ago. It started to smell like sewer in there. Please help, can't take the smell. :eek:

View more questions Search