Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fblankinship Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Sep 18, 2009, 05:54 PM
    Can I use #2 Aluminum for a 100amp service
    Home Depot has wiring chart that says I can use #2 aluminum for a 100 amp underground service I am running, that just doesn't sound right, but I bought it, please let me know. The aluminum I bought is for direct bury but only has 3 conductors. I bought a single #2 aluminum it's alumaflex (TM) AA8176 TYPE USE -2 OR RHH OR RHW-2, IT'S 60 mils 600 volts. Can I bury this cable along with the 3 conductor cable I bought? It's for the ground.
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Sep 18, 2009, 07:42 PM
    What exactly are you doing? Is this a main service or a sub-feed?

Sep 19, 2009, 05:55 AM

This is a 100 amp subpanel for my barn. It will be fed from a 200 amp main about 60 feet away. I am going to install a main disconnect on the subpanel along with a 100 amp breaker at the main. I was going to run the 3 wire direct bury cable I bought along with the #2 AL ground if I can. I will keep the ground and neutral separate at the panel and run a #4 solid copper ground attached to 2 ground rods separated about 7 feet.
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Sep 19, 2009, 09:01 AM
    That is fine then.
    Two things, you only need a #8cu or #6al ground and you only need a #6cu to the ground rods. Although, if you have everything already then what you have is OK, it's just a bit big.

Sep 19, 2009, 10:40 AM

Thanks, your always a big help

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Central air on 100amp service [ 1 Answers ]

I recently had the 100 amp service line to my house repaired but a friend worried me when she said she couldn't believe my electricians didn't suggest upgrading to 200 amp service since I have central air. Is this a common concern or is 100 amp service typically enough to support central air?

Change 100AMP service to 200AMP service? [ 2 Answers ]

What are the steps need to change from 100 AMP service to 200AMP service?

4 wire 100amp service box but only 3 wires? [ 2 Answers ]

:confused: 4 wire 100amp service box but only 3 wires? I replaced my water heater with a tankless water heater. My service box is set up for hot, hot, neutral, and appliance ground for 220 watt hook up. But the water heater only has 3 wires, hot hot, and "Bare wire" ground. I currently have the...

4 wire 100amp service box but only 3 wires? [ 1 Answers ]

I replaced my water heater with a tankless water heater. My service box is set up for hot, hot, neutral, and appliance ground for 220 watt hook up. But the water heater only has 3 wires, hot hot, and "Bare wire" ground. I currently have the water heater connected as, hot, hot, to breaker, and the...

Upgrading from 100amp service to 200 amp service [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 1994 model double wide home, and would like to change my 100 amp service to 200 amp service. ( I want to go to electric heat) I have a disconnect at the house after the meter and it say 200amp. Is the wiring from there to my breaker box able to handle 200 amp service, and if not how do I...

View more questions Search