Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    guscusi Posts: 65, Reputation: 1

Sep 10, 2009, 02:43 PM
    Jornalize Income Tax payment
    What is the journal entry for the payment of Income Taxes?

Eg: FY closed as follows...

Net Income 50,000
    Income Tax: 15,000

I suppose the process and journal entries in the GAAP statements (not the IRS version) would be:

a) When closing the FY and determining the Inc. Tax (in order to reduce the Retained Earnings available to shereholders after the payment):

Retained Earnings (Debit): 15,000
    Income tax payable (Credit): 15,000

b) Then,. when Paid:
    Income Tax Payable (Debit): 15,000
    Checking Account: 15,000

Am I correct?

Thanks in advance...

Shouldn't the income tax paid be shown also in the Retained Earnings Statement?

Thanks!
    ArcSine Posts: 969, Reputation: 106

Sep 10, 2009, 04:08 PM
    Typically the debit in your part (a) would first hit the P&L as "Income Tax Expense". Of course, it then finds its way into Retained Earnings via the closing of your P&L.

So your Inc Statement will have the full tax expense, but you'll only deduct the state portion of the tax on your federal return. The non-deducted federal portion of the tax expense will be a reconciling item in Schedule M of your corporate return (the "book - tax diffs").

Given that, it might be helpful to have both "Federal Income Tax Expense" and "State Income Tax Expense" on your Income Statement, since the latter is deductible on your federal return, while the former is not.

Sep 10, 2009, 04:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ArcSine View Post
    Typically the debit in your part (a) would first hit the P&L as "Income Tax Expense". Of course, it then finds its way into Retained Earnings via the closing of your P&L.

So your Inc Statement will have the full tax expense, but you'll only deduct the state portion of the tax on your federal return. The non-deducted federal portion of the tax expense will be a reconciling item in Schedule M of your corporate return (the "book - tax diffs").

Given that, it might be helpful to have both "Federal Income Tax Expense" and "State Income Tax Expense" on your Income Statement, since the latter is deductible on your federal return, while the former is not.
    Very clear. Thanks again.

I understand. So, if there were a journal entry for that Schedule M, would it be like this?

Retained Earnings 15,000 (Debit)
    Income Tax 15,000 (Credit)

Thank you.
    ArcSine Posts: 969, Reputation: 106

Sep 10, 2009, 05:37 PM
    No, Sch M doesn't have anything to do with journal entries... and in hindsight I may have just muddied the water by bringing it up, since you were asking about the appropriate JE.

Going back to the beginning, you'd make a JE that would hit your books this way:
    Debit Income Tax Expense (an Income Statement expense account)
    Credit Income Tax Payable (Balance Sheet liability account)

Then when you close your P&L, Retained Earnings will automatically be reduced by the income tax expense, because the expense reduced your year's net income, via that JE above.

In other words, just treat the income tax expense as any other accrued expense at year end.

Later, when you pay the tax, you'll simply debit the liability.

Sep 11, 2009, 05:42 AM

Pefect,. now I understand.

Thanks again for your clear explanations. Have a nice weekend!
    morgaine300 Posts: 6,561, Reputation: 276
    Uber Member

Sep 11, 2009, 06:25 PM

I'm assuming this is a C corp..

You do have to account for the differences between your book tax and your "IRS" tax. That's what the Sch. M is for.

That is, what you report as income tax expense on your books is the tax that would be on your book income. But what about your taxable income? Those usually aren't the same. There's two types of differences:

*Permanent differences. For instance, travel & entertainment. You can't count all that as expense for your taxes, so that changes taxable income. In this case, you're going to be going by what the applicable portion for taxable income is and using that for book tax as well.

*Temporary differences. A common example is depreciation. Like if you use straight-line, that will come out differently than the MACRS you must use for tax. But all that does is change the timing of when the expense is taken. So the book and tax would eventually match up over however many years, but when you book the tax expense and when the IRS wants the tax will be at different times.

The latter has to be taken care of via either an asset or liability account, depending on the circumstances. (Which is the NET of all differences.)

I realize that isn't a very good explanation and wasn't meant to be. That's because I'd have to know exactly what's going on with your books, not to mention that I'd have to be a tax expert, which I'm not. If I have the numbers, I can figure out how to do the entries. (I can give some examples though, if you want to better understand the concept.)

I brought it up because it's something you need to consider. If it's something you're not aware of, then it might be better to have an accountant doing it for you anyway.
    rehmanvohra Posts: 739, Reputation: 27

Sep 11, 2009, 11:59 PM

In your post, you have said:
    Shouldn't the income tax paid be shown also in the Retained Earnings Statement?

Income tax paid appears in the Statement of Cash Flows and not the retained earnings statement. I am sure you must have read that a retained earnings statement shows:
    Balance brought forward
    Net Income after taxes
    Less:
    Dividends paid
    Appropriations made
    Balance carried forward

Sep 12, 2009, 08:14 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by morgaine300 View Post
    I'm assuming this is a C corp..

You do have to account for the differences between your book tax and your "IRS" tax. That's what the Sch. M is for.

That is, what you report as income tax expense on your books is the tax that would be on your book income. But what about your taxable income? Those usually aren't the same. There's two types of differences:

*Permanent differences. For instance, travel & entertainment. You can't count all that as expense for your taxes, so that changes taxable income. In this case, you're going to be going by what the applicable portion for taxable income is and using that for book tax as well.

*Temporary differences. A common example is depreciation. Like if you use straight-line, that will come out differently than the MACRS you must use for tax. But all that does is change the timing of when the expense is taken. So the book and tax would eventually match up over however many years, but when you book the tax expense and when the IRS wants the tax will be at different times.

The latter has to be taken care of via either an asset or liability account, depending on the circumstances. (Which is the NET of all differences.)

I realize that isn't a very good explanation and wasn't meant to be. That's because I'd have to know exactly what's going on with your books, not to mention that I'd have to be a tax expert, which I'm not. If I have the numbers, I can figure out how to do the entries. (I can give some examples though, if you want to better understand the concept.)

I brought it up because it's something you need to consider. If it's something you're not aware of, then it might be better to have an accountant doing it for you anyway.
    Thank you, Morgain300. I did understand your point, which is clear after looking at Sch. M. and also very logical. Thanks again.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Payment Plan Mortgage payment behind [ 3 Answers ]

I was recently off work for two months and unable to pay my mortgage payments. My company put me on a payment plan and now they are charging me with other fees that were not told to me. I want to know how can I find out if their practices are legal. Who is the watchdog for these companies. I am...

Can they reposess my car after they agree to payment arrangements and take my payment [ 5 Answers ]

I bought a car in 06 and I have been paying on it every two weeks. I have been a little behind but I still pay or talk to someone about when I will pay... I have never lost communication with these people. I am only one payment and some late charges behind Monday I made a payment on the due date of...

Can a collections agency refuse payment or payment arrangement ? [ 2 Answers ]

I owe a hospital bill of $1000 from back in march and it has gone to a collections agency. Now my problem is, my insurance company actually sent me the check to make the payment. They instructed me to put it into my checking account then send a personal check to the creditor. However when I put...

View more questions Search