Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    scotta Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Sep 8, 2009, 01:18 PM
    Faucet Handle
    I have a house that was buildt in 1980 and all the plumbing water supply is copper.
    In my Guest bathroom the handles for both Hot & Cold water haven't been working lately, they are slowly stripping the copper handle extensions, see photo attachments.
    I bought several boxes of those universal handle adapters at Lowe's to secure to the copper handle extension. They secure with 3 very tiny screws, and lately these screws losen up or start to slip their grip and the other end screws onto the plastic knob.

Without getting into having a plumber come out a re-install new hot & cold lines into the shower with new updated hardware... is there a better way to save this situation?

I've attached 3 photos to make it easier to understand the situation.

Thanks for any help,

Scott
    Attached Images

ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Sep 8, 2009, 01:27 PM

If you could determine the brand you could replace the stem, they are shot.

Sep 8, 2009, 02:00 PM
    No clue on what brand it is... also How the heck do you get the stem out without busting into the wall? Is there a stem wrench that can go all the way down the shaft of the stem to unlcok the nut at the end?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 8, 2009, 03:48 PM
    Hey Scotty,
    Is there a stem wrench that can go all the way down the shaft of the stem to unlcok the nut at the end?
    There sure is!(see image) Remove the chrome plate and use the correct size wrench to remove the stem. Good luck, Tom

Sep 8, 2009, 04:51 PM
    Thanks Tom... I'm assuming I can pick one of these up at Lowe's?
    Is it this model or is the wrench and all around standard model?
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Sep 8, 2009, 07:57 PM

Hello Scott,

Follow Tom's instruction, for info also open the link below and watch the clip, good luck.

Removing the Stem from a Leaky Bathtub Faucet: How to Fix a Leaky Bathtub Faucet | eHow.com
    retiredmanvan Posts: 35, Reputation: 4

Sep 8, 2009, 08:16 PM

Once you have removed the valve stems for the hot and cold water you will need to remove the stem to the shower head also. Then you will need to get a seat wrench and remove the seats from the bottom of the mixing valve so you can replace everything not just part of the problem.

Looking at your pictures I do not think Lowe's will come close to having what you need to do this repair.

I would look in you phone book for a plumbing supply house in your area that will sell to the public. This is where you will find exactly what you need to do the job correctly.

Then reinstall the parts in reverse order of how you removed them.

I wish you well,

Van

Sep 9, 2009, 05:17 AM
    Thanks Van for the good information
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Sep 9, 2009, 07:31 AM

If you don't know what brand of faucet it is - than close water to the whole house, remove one stem and take it with you down to the store. Show them the old stem so they can ID it for you and to sell you exactly the same stem. This way you will save yourself trip, or two, or three... to the Home Depot.

Advice: small, Mom'n'Pop's store is better place to visit rather than going to big box stores. Good luck !

Sep 9, 2009, 07:52 AM
    Milo and everyone else. I just realized everyone is talking about replacing the stem.
    When it's replaced to I still go back to installing the universal handle adapter on the new stem to get a handle to work?
    If not what goes on the stem to get other faucet handles to work?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Sep 9, 2009, 08:29 AM

Yes that will work but by then you will know the actual name of the faucet so you can get OEM handles
    Plumbing Expert

Sep 9, 2009, 11:29 AM

No, no... you don't want to use the universal adapter! That adapter is there bcs the guy who installed the handles didn't want to mess with the stem replacement. Once you know what brand of faucet it is , you can go to this brand's catalog and pick any handle they offer for the stem. Then, you install it the right way, directly onto the stem, as it should be installed in first place.

No adapters. Toss them. Adapters are retrofit.

Sep 9, 2009, 11:34 AM
    Milo... thanks. I was hoping that was the answer, cause otherwise this seemed like one big circle. So once I want to take the stem off, just turn off water to the house and go to faucet and turn on what's remaining in there and then I should be OK till I have it replaced?
    Also is the stem as simply as unscrewing and screwing it back in?. nothing hiding that I'll have to deal with?
    Plumbing Expert

Sep 9, 2009, 12:17 PM

Yes, turn off water for the whole house, open lowest faucet, drain water.

Stem is like a big screw. Use socket wrench as posted by other Expert in previous post to unscrew it.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Sep 9, 2009, 12:58 PM

I would like to add that when reinstalling the stems, do so with the stems in the open position, that is turned all the way counter clock wise. If in the closed position the washer will hit the seat before you have the stem completely screwed into the valve body.

Sep 9, 2009, 01:32 PM
    Harold,

I assume you keep the stems closed just to screw them in and once they are screwed on you then close the stems prior to turning back on the water?
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Sep 9, 2009, 01:42 PM

Keep them open to screw in, then close prior to turning water on. (A typo I assume)
    Plumbing Expert

Sep 9, 2009, 09:49 PM

Scotta: Just a reminder : make sure you get the stems ID-ed. That will tell you what brand of faucet it is. While in the store, ask them what trim / handles you can use with these stems. It is important bcs only same brand trim will fit on these stems.

Sep 10, 2009, 07:42 AM
    Thanks for the reminder... Milo
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Sep 10, 2009, 08:39 AM
    HI all:

And just because I don't see it mentioned anywhere above Scotta... see image below.

The chrome trim plate gets removed separately or it gets removed with the chrome sleeve that spins off counterclockwise. You'll then use the stem wrench to remove the stem... ;)

Just F.Y.I.

MARK

Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Loose faucet handle [ 12 Answers ]

We just installed a new Price Fister faucet in our kitchen sink. The lever that turns the water on doesn't stay up unless you hold it (up is on, down is off). We can't lift the handle halfway to get only a little water because the handle falls to the off position immediately. Is there a screw to...

3 handle shower faucet [ 7 Answers ]

Where can I find a 3 handle nickel finish shower and tub replacements

One handle faucet has low pressure! [ 13 Answers ]

Hi: I have a price Pfister one handle faucet. It has a pull out style sprayer in the middle, not separate faucet and sprayer. I had low pressure on the faucet lately, so I cleaned the screen on the spray head. It increased the pressure for a while but the pressure dropped again. The pressure...

Low hot water pressure from kichen faucet only- 1 handle faucet [ 7 Answers ]

Hi. My question is similar to one asked a few posts ago except this is a 1 handle faucet. I plan on maintaining the boiler from now on but I have to fix the flow problem first. I disconnected the hot water supply line to the faucet and the pressure is excellent so I assume the problem is in the...

Kitchen faucet handle [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to get off my kitchen faucet handle (single faucet) but the hex nut that unlocks it will not turn. Any suggestions how to unloosen the hex nut? I tried vinegar and oil with no success. It is a Kohler single faucet kitchen sink. Thanks, gatnus

View more questions Search