Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dancer419 Posts: 50, Reputation: 2

Sep 6, 2009, 12:44 PM
    Water Line
    Hello again everyone. Back again with another plumbing question. Tom-are you out there :)
    Fri when I got home I noticed it was wet at the end of my drivway and there was water along the road in front of my house. This is only in front of my hpuse and it's on the side of the house the main is. This morning there is more water and my lawn right in that area is wet and soggy. There is no curb on my street. I come inside and turn on the kitchen sink and go look at the meter and it's spinning. I turn off the water and the spinning stops. Please tell me that this is the townships problem
    Thought I got everything fixed this weekend-the lawn tractor and the gutter and now this pops up-will it never end?
    Thanks
    Phyllis
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Sep 6, 2009, 01:07 PM

Call the water company.

In most instances you are responsible from the curb stop to your property.

In some localities, your not allowed to turn off the water at the curb stop. The Curb stop generally requires a 5 sided socket and a water valve wrench.

Homeowner's wher I live are allowed to go to the water company and put a deposit down on the key and valve wrench.

If you live in the city limits, only the city may turn off the water.

So, generally, before the curb stop, their problem. After the curb stop, your problem. Rules can vary.

Sep 6, 2009, 01:44 PM

Thanks. I don't know where the curb stop is
    So I guess I'll have to call the local township and have them come out and test it
    Phyllis
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 6, 2009, 04:54 PM
    . Tom-are you out there
    I'm never very far away Phyllis.
    I come inside and turn on the kitchen sink and go look at the meter and it's spinning. I turn off the water and the spinning stops. Please tell me that this is the townships problem
    You're going to love me ,Sweetie! If the meter would have kept on spinning when you should the house down the leak would have been on your side. Ya lucked out. The leak is on the Township side and is their problem, not yours. Call them out to repair it.
    Good luck, Tom

Sep 6, 2009, 05:39 PM

Hey tom-i can always count on you-big thanks
    As usual. With my ocd I checked the meter several times and it's only moving when the water is on. Got the copper stuff for the roots in the septic pipe and everything is OK now till the next disaster.
    Will be calling out the township bright and early
    Thanks again tom-until we meet again :)
    Phyllis
    Uber Member

Sep 6, 2009, 05:42 PM

Not around here it wouldn't necessarily be. The valve at the street even though it's before the meter doesn't mean it's their problem.

Sep 6, 2009, 05:44 PM

Will let you all know what they say-
    Thanks
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 6, 2009, 06:29 PM
    Kiss,
    I've worked many areas and the water meter is located on the edge of the lot line on the city side with the curb stop upstream from the meter so it can be replaced without shutting down the main. Are you saying that there are no property lines where you live and that the home owner's responsible for repairing the street main? By the way, where do you live? Tom
    Uber Member

Sep 6, 2009, 06:51 PM

Yep, live in a weird place. We have a city named x and suburbia city named x, yep same name different rules. Different water company.

Main runs down about a 3' piece of grass which is an easement next to the street. Meaning, you plant a tree there, the water or gas company can cut it down if it breaks a main.

Then you have a sidewalk. The curb stop is on the opposite side of the 3' wide sidewalk or can be in the sidewalk.

The line travels about 25' and then into the house where it has two valves; one before and after the water meter. The water meter is read electronically through an RF transmtter.

If the leak occurs after the curb stop, it's your problem even if it's unmetered water.

Sep 6, 2009, 08:23 PM

OK guys-now I am really confused. There is no sidewalk or curb here-it's a "rural route"
    My meter is inside the house next to the main turn off and it is read electronically. This house has a well that hasn't been used since I moved here 11 yrs ago although there is a pump in the basement. Don't know if it works. If the leak does occur at the curb stop-how much am I looking at in repairs if it's my dime?
    Thanks
    Phyllis
    Confused in nj

Sep 6, 2009, 08:26 PM
    Oh
    And I do have proberty lines that are on the required paperwork when buying a house here in nj-a survey has to be done before settlement
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 7, 2009, 05:11 AM
    Hey Phyills,
    fri when I got home I noticed it was wet at the end of my drivway and there was water along the road in front of my house. This is only in front of my hpuse and it's on the side of the house the main is.
    Where, in relation to your property line, is the wet area. Have you called the water company and told them of the leak? Let ne know what they say. Good luck, Tom

Sep 7, 2009, 06:03 AM

Haven't called them because of the holiday tom.
    I have to drag out the survey to see if I can tell.
    I know they used a marker in the road to do the survery but don'y know where that line is as this was all wells at one time
    Phyllis

Sep 8, 2009, 05:18 PM

The township came out this am and I got a call saying it was their problem and it will be fixed
    Tomorrow. When I got home there was a small hole dug where I can feel some kind of box.
    This is about 1/2 of the way from the street to the hole and it's maked in blue paint from that hole to the street and across the front of the house. The card thery left said I would get an estimated bill next 1/4 because of a "turn over"
    That's all folks-happy I don't have to pay for this one.
    Thanks for all the info and I'm sure I'll be talking to you again soon
    Phyllis

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Utilizing a clothes washer line for an icemaker water line [ 3 Answers ]

Hello! A few years ago, I moved my washer/dryer from an inside washer/dryer inset located in my kitchen into the garage. I turned this area into a pantry and left both the hot and cold water valves protruding from the wall, as well as the 220 for the electric dryer. I'm tearing out the...

Plastic water line leak near water connector at sink [ 4 Answers ]

How can I fix a leak in blue plastic tubing that goes to ice maker? The leak is under the sink and tubing goes under the house to fridge on other side of room.

Hooking up water line to refrigerator for ice maker and water dispenser [ 2 Answers ]

Here is my problem, I just bought a refrigerator that has an ice maker and water dispenser which by the way is a Haier PRCS25. I then purchased an ice maker kit from the hardware which came with a self piercing saddle valve. From here I connected the valve to a 3/4" copper cold line pipe...

Water line replacement = entire house low water pressure [ 3 Answers ]

I recently had a water line break in my front yard. The city replaced the line but ever since (immediately following the water being turned back on) the water pressure has been significantly lower throughout the house in both the hot and cold. I checked and the valve is completely open so I am...

Replaced Main Water Line, Now Shower Line Is Clogged [ 3 Answers ]

We had a leak, so we had the water line and sewage line from the house to the street replaced. Now we have no water in the shower. Some debris most have clogged up the line coming into the shower. All the other lines are fine. My Dad is somewhat of a handyman and wants to fix the problem...

View more questions Search