Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lcly21 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Aug 31, 2009, 01:24 AM
    Boyfriend restrictive and possessive
    I am together with my boyfriend with 1.5 years already. My pace at the starting of our relationship set off slower than my boyfriend. Probably he has got hurt and annoyed in the process that he lets things easier as things passed by. We have quarrelled a lot in this 1.5 years and every time this happens, I am just giving in by doing whatever he wants, but deep in my heart, I actually feel unsatisfied and unhappy. In my heart, I think he is pushing me too much because I think love must develop slowly rather than pushing it forcefully. However, he always thinks that he has done a lot for me especially during the period when I am gaining my momentum to transform from liking to loving him. Now, I could no longer hold on as he doesn't allow me to go on Facebook and msn often and limit Facebook to 1 week once and msn to 2 weeks once! I am very annoyed with this stupid rule as I think he is too controlling of my life. As I am from a conservative family, my parents do not allow me to go trips with my friends and especially with him alone. I know this is sad but this is a fact. I am very sad myself not being able to spend more time with him. I understand a boyfriend would love to go trips with their girlfriend but I couldn't! I supposed he should understand my situation rather than blaming me? Am I wrong on this? Besides, he doesn't like me going out with my friends even though they are just my all girl high school friends. He want to come along when I don't feel comfortable with him around as we did not meet for a long time and we would like to catch things up. I know I have a lot of restrictions that turned him down for lots of times, but if he really loves me, he should understand me and let me do things that could make me happy and trust me right? Am I wrong?

Aug 31, 2009, 01:35 AM

Other than all this, he is a very good guy which will definitely takes care of me for the rest of my life and I am confident about that. This makes me reluctant to break up with him and convince myself that these might be my problems making him behave this way. But I don't feel happy with him and I am just persuading myself to accept him while hoping he could love me as who I am. What shall I do. Please help me, I am stuck.
    amicon Posts: 6,066, Reputation: 1911
    Uber Member

Aug 31, 2009, 01:44 AM
    Big red controllfreak flag.He has no right telling you what to do or not to do-who to see or not etc.My advice to you harsh as it may seem is-leave him.
    jmjoseph Posts: 2,727, Reputation: 1244
    Ultra Member

Aug 31, 2009, 01:55 AM
    How old are you both please? Are you STILL in high school? This guy is NOT your father, and has NO RIGHT telling you what you CAN or CAN'T do. How dare he?

You're not happy? Do something about it.

You will be miserable with him.

It will get worse.

Bless you.

Aug 31, 2009, 02:29 AM

We are in our early 20's. I have told him about this and he said I must take time to let him have the confidence and slowly accept that I am not meeting guys and not meeting my friends too often. I hope for better all the time of course but I sometimes wonder what will my life be if I were to married him in future. Sighh.. I am doomed but I love him.
    jmjoseph Posts: 2,727, Reputation: 1244
    Ultra Member

Aug 31, 2009, 03:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by lcly21 View Post
    We are in our early 20's. I have told him about this and he said I must take time to let him have the confidence and slowly accept that I am not meeting guys and not meeting my friends too often. I hope for better all the time of course but I sometimes wonder what will my life be if I were to married him in future. Sighh.. I am doomed but I love him.
    Yes, it does seem that you are doomed. You're in love with man that tells an adult woman how much time she can spend on the computer. I feel sorry for you because this is just the beginning. He is way too dangerous of a person to stay with. Jealosy can make a person do crazy things. Your life will be miserable with a person like that. You are an inmate.

I wish you luck.
    I wish Posts: 5,296, Reputation: 2030
    Family & People Expert

Aug 31, 2009, 06:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by lcly21 View Post
    We have quarrelled a lot in this 1.5 years and everytime this happens, I am just giving in by doing whatever he wants, but deep in my heart, I actually feel unsatisfied and unhappy.
    If you feel this way, why are you still in this relationship.

Relationships do take hard work, but much of it should come naturally. For example, hard word should be done naturally and not forced upon. It doesn't sound like he's a good match for you. I'm sure you can find someone more suitable.
    Magic777 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 23, 2010, 08:27 PM

I will definitely say that he will not change... I have the same example... even worse... but in addition my boyfriend didn't allow me to dress like I wanted, to wear skirts, high heels etc... even to have make-up... he said that just prostitutes behave in such way... dated 2 years... we had relationships on a very long distance... I was sure about him that he didn't cheat me... now I finally decided to broke with him.. but he still tries to contact me.. and he may even arrive to me... it is another country... I am so mad with him... from the beginning it was like fairy-tale... roses, gifts, compliments... everything... but I don't to lose my health and nerves with him... I can imagine what would be if I we would marry... no personal space... no freedom... no friends... like dog in a cage... I thought I was only the one with such a problem... but we will have very big experience.. we girls are very kind... after that I became very feminist... I wish you to meet really good guy who will see you as a queen and will no limit yr personal space

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My Boyfriend is jealous, possessive, and emotional, what should I do? [ 20 Answers ]

I have been dating this guy for about a 2 years now, it started so amazing, I fell in love with him in no time, but since we met, a lot of problems have come up. His jealousy and possessive nature comes through in a lot of ways. He has become very angry at me for wearing v neck shirts or anything...

Why is my boyfriend so possessive? [ 7 Answers ]

My boyfriends name is randy. We have been together for 7 months. He has a huge issue with me talking to guys or even looking at guys. My mom tells me its because he is afraid to loose me but in reality if he keeps being that way he WILL end up losing me, even if i do love him with all my...

Breed Restrictive Legislation [ 3 Answers ]

Is anyone from a state that has overcome breed restrictions? It is nearly impossible to find housing that allows American Staffordshire Terriers, Chow Chows, Rottweilers, or Dobermans; I mean they don't even allow temperament testing, which seems ridiculous to me. For instance at the apartments I...

Possessive Boyfriend [ 1 Answers ]

:confused: I have been in a relationship with my boyfriend for 3 years and 9 months. He has always been protective of me, but I always thought he would grow out of his parinoia, he had a bad meth problem for several years before me that I helped him kick. This is kind of a long story, please bear...

Restrictive covenants [ 17 Answers ]

I have a situation and I am sure how to help my uncle. Arturo owned a seven acre tract, Skyacre, which was adjacent to a similarly sized meadow, Greenacre, owned by Benno. In an effort to protect his view of Greenacre and sight line of the horizon, Arturo, without benefit of counsel, drafted...

View more questions Search