Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    FRUITLOOPS Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 30, 2009, 10:06 PM
    Can I LIGHTEN dyed hair if I strip it first?
    All right, so my original color is black. It's currently dyed to a medium, golden, (red tinted in pictures) brown with face-framing highlights. Both base, and highlights from a box dye-store brand.

My goal is to go lighter; asher, closer to ash blonde (or as my sister would state, a very light brown). I want to get rid of the red hues completely.

My question is if I strip the color (with Colorfix), and dye my hair with a blonde dye, will I become lighter?

My understanding is that hair dye cannot color dye that's already on the hair shaft. And so you have strip the shaft of the color, and input a new one to fill it in.
    <Someone correct me if I'm wrong, or further explain this? (Yes, I've researched, but that's as far as I understand it)

My hair is already lightened with the brown (it's not a dark brown), so if I strip, of course it won't go darker (unless you oxidize it or whatnot?) but it'll be the lightest its been with the current dye. (Does that make sense?) Now that the shaft would be raw, can I lighten it (or deposit color) with blonde dye?

[My current dye]
    Base: Loreal Paris Feria, Hi-Lift Cool Brown (B61 Cooler Shade) <This is a good reference for my hair now, except it's a bit more of a darker golden shade, and red in pictures.
    Then dyed over the roots with, and also did highlights: Loreal Paris Couleur Experte Express (8.3 Warmer, Dulce de Leche, Med Golden Blonde)

Of course, my hair isn't the exact shade, but the Feria did lighten it considerably.

[Experience]
    ColorFix: I've used this before, so I can say I've sort-of experienced with stripping.
    Ash Blonde dyes: I've also used blonde dyes before and it's given me a medium, lightened brown (in the light/sun).
    Blonde: I have actually been blonde before (salon-done). An actual bleached blonde, with ash chunks. And I loved it!
    Damage: Don't particularly care for it, as I've gone blonde^ before, and had straw-like, stretchy hair before, and breakage. But you can always tell me how much it'll hurt :)
    Hair: My original hair is an Asian Black (not to be prejudice or anything!) and I've been coloring my hair since I was ten ;)
    Salon: No, thank you, I've gone before, but it's expensive! (I MIGHT go if it'll be overly complicated, but I've always been an experimenter and have a no-care attitude about coloring my hair. But since I'm trying to grow it out now, I just want it colored the exact shade that I want, and grow/condition it that way.)

[Hair chart reference]
    Original color: R2 (Brunettes)
    Color before I dyed it: R9S(ish) with inches of roots (Brunettes)
    Current dyed hair: R30 (Hi-Lites)
    Desired color: R38 (Grays)

Thank you for reading this overly long detail! (I may have repeated myself a few times)
    stylist101 Posts: 43, Reputation: 3

Aug 30, 2009, 10:35 PM

That's a lot of info!lol!however my answer I will make brief! I'm very educated and have specialized in color for 7yrs! Do not attempt this on your own! If your worried about damage stripping color will do it! What your doing is considered corrective color!this must be done by a colorist at good salon in order to go about it in the least damaging way!I promise if you do this yourself you will be very sorry n end up in salon anyhow to fix your mess! Haircolor is chemistry and requires education! Now corrective color can be costly! For instance I would charge you a minimum of 200! It sounds like your worried about money so the cheapest way2get your desired results is to keep the light brown you have applied on your ends! Lift your black new growth to the same level! This will leave you w a brown base!if your wanting lighter my very best suggestion would be an extremely heavy full foil highlight! A toner may be needed afterward to cancel out any unwanted tones if the highlights do not completely lift out the coloR! This must be done@salon! If done correctly your overall result will be a very pretty dimensional blonde! This will look great! And one more thing just in case you don't listen to my advice? If your hair is naturally black? Doing a completely allover solid blonde would be extremely costly even if you did it yourself because once your hair grows out even the slightest bit it will look really trashy having very obvious black new growth and blonde ends! You would need2touch that up every 3to4weeks!! Horrible idea! Go see your stylist n get your new growth lifted n a heavy full foil! You will love it n you will feel blonde!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to lighten my dyed dark red hair to a bright red? [ 21 Answers ]

I have been to 3 different salons over the past year, and I bring in the same pictures and ask for the same color red (think lead singer of paramore or poison ivy in batman)... not once have I been able to get what I keep asking for. I have had my hair dyed dark brown, black, and even purple. To...

Hot oil to lighten dyed hair color [ 4 Answers ]

Has anybody used the extra virgin olive oil method to lighten dyed black hair? If so, did it turn your hair a orange or any strange color? How did it work? Anybody's expereince with this method would be very aprreciated to here from! Thank you

How to lighten dyed hair [ 2 Answers ]

HELP PLEASE! I have died my naturally light brown hair too dark and hate it. I went back to the store and bought a lighter shade and used it to no avail. I have read some of the other posts and do not understand what peroxide 20 is?? I have used three different dyes now on three consecutive...

How can I lighten my dyed dark auburn hair? [ 1 Answers ]

My hair was dyed at the salon but turned out really dark auburn. I wanted light brown. It has been two weeks. I tried washing it with dawn dish soap but nothing happened. Any suggestions?

Advise on how to lighten hair that was dyed too dark [ 1 Answers ]

I have naturally dark brown hair. I colored it at home using a dark brown color (cornsilk #613) and it turned out black. Now when I look at myself that is all I see. Is there anything that can be done at home to lighten my hair? I've heard to use prell, laundry soap, dish soap or dandruff shampoo....

View more questions Search