Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    TGMcCallie Posts: 45, Reputation: 2

Aug 30, 2009, 02:13 PM
    Ground at transformer & grounding rod at meter
    If there is a ground at the transformer which grounds the main entrance cables then why is there the necessity of a separate grounding rod at the meter or breaker box?
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Aug 30, 2009, 02:24 PM

They serve two different purposes. The Neutral or "Grounded Conductor" provides the return path for the circuit from the pole (transformer and back.

At the main panel, both the Neutral and Ground are tied together also. But the use is totally different.

The ground in a main panel is used to carry large spikes (lightning) safely away from the residence and discharge it into the earth. Also, the ground in the main panel is used to carry "Fault" level electricity at a high rate to earth ground. This allows the OCPD (breaker or fuse) to open and kill the circuit thereby preventing fire or electrocution.

You ground the Neutral and main panel together to make sure that there is no "electrical" difference between them. If there was a difference, s small back channel could flow which would effect the operation of the ground circuit.
    TGMcCallie Posts: 45, Reputation: 2

Aug 30, 2009, 02:39 PM

Thanks

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Grounding for Transformer [ 2 Answers ]

My project have 600v 800V disconnector with neutral,From this disconnector I have 300KVA transformer(600/208,triangle/y),My question is : Do I have to run transformer ground wire to building common grounding system,if I have to ,what is wire size ?

Grounding a Panel and Meter Box [ 4 Answers ]

I am installing 200 amp electrical service in a new residence using 2/0 SE cable. The main breakers are in the panel. Since it is a GE panel, I have added grounding bars which did not come installed in the panel. The neutrals will all go to the neutral bars and the grounds to the grounding bars....

Grounding secondary on 24vac transformer [ 14 Answers ]

On a York air handler, I have a 60hz, 240/208 -> 24vac, 40 va transformer. That's a 2 * 120v primary and (2) 24v outputs. On one of the 24v output terminals, there is a split connector that feeds the thermostat (RC) and strangely grounds(?? ) on the firewall, next to the circuit board, inside...

Grounding/neutral meter box and panel [ 1 Answers ]

I'm istalling a 100 amp service in the yard w/meter for the lake equip. The pole will have 3 conductors from the power transformer to the meter box (neutral an two hots). The ground wire from the ground rod connects at the meter box at the same lugs as the neutral? Yes? Or to the meter box...

Amperage lost from a current transformer to utility's electric meter(?) [ 2 Answers ]

I work for an Electric utility. Have noticed that the actual amperage running through a phase does not match the amperage being sent to the meter with it's proper multiplier from the current transformer (CT)? Example: phase A is using 83 amps. The X1 tap to the meter from the current...

View more questions Search