Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    krazykat02 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 22, 2009, 09:08 PM
    Can I move out?
    So I'm only 16 but I'll be 17 in a few months... and I want to know if I can move out of my moms house and in to my dads with out my moms concent??
    HelpinHere Posts: 1,062, Reputation: 144
    Ultra Member

Aug 22, 2009, 09:15 PM

Depends on where you live.
    But, most likely, the answer would be NO, if your mother has custody.

And, just so you know from experience, you wouldn't enjoy that move as much as you think you would.
    number9forlife1 Posts: 51, Reputation: 1

Aug 23, 2009, 10:39 AM

Like HelpinHere said... you basically isn't going anywhere if your mom has full custody of you... now I don't know if you go to your dads for so long then back to your moms cause that's probably a different story... but if she has full custody of you, you have to wait till your 18.
    little_n_lost Posts: 20, Reputation: 4

Sep 6, 2009, 07:56 PM

There is a way round that but it may be a long and painful process. You may need to take your mum to court with your dad and file for a change of custody but you may need a better reason than "i want to". If you're feeling mentally unstable at your mum's and more comfortable with your dad this may be a good enough reason but it may come down to if your life is at risk. E.g. physical abuse from your mother or some one else living in the house or attempting suicide which I do not suggest.
    ohsohappy Posts: 1,564, Reputation: 314
    Ultra Member

Sep 6, 2009, 08:00 PM

In some states, you can change who you live with at as young as 13. (I would know, I had that option) Most likely you'll just have to talk to your parents about it.
    justcurious55 Posts: 4,360, Reputation: 790
    Ultra Member

Sep 6, 2009, 08:21 PM

ohsohappy, I'm curious about your comment. I've always heard that in some cases the judge will take children's desires into consideration but but it still comes down to what the judge decides, not just what the child wants. What state are you in?
    ohsohappy Posts: 1,564, Reputation: 314
    Ultra Member

Sep 6, 2009, 09:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by justcurious55 View Post
    ohsohappy, i'm curious about your comment. i've always heard that in some cases the judge will take children's desires into consideration but but it still comes down to what the judge decides, not just what the child wants. what state are you in?
    Well the court system my parents went through when they got divorced was Missouri. And in that state, once a child turned 13, they could dispute their living situation in court, and the judge would consider it. But now I'm 19 and living in Minnesota. So nobody has custody over me anymore.
    HelpinHere Posts: 1,062, Reputation: 144
    Ultra Member

Sep 9, 2009, 06:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ohsohappy View Post
    Well the court system my parents went through when they got divorced was Missouri. And in that state, once a child turned 13, they could dispute their living situation in court, and the judge would consider it. But now I'm 19 and living in minnesota. So nobody has custody over me anymore.
    Exactly, you could DISPUTE it and the judge would CONSIDER, but it is not the child that decides it in any circumstances (in the United States). It may make some leverage, but is definitely not a deciding factor just because the OP "wants" to live with someone else.
    brittanymommy08 Posts: 183, Reputation: 5

Sep 12, 2009, 05:39 AM

Hey honey!
    Look your mom has rules for you for a reason. I moved out at 17. You can't rent turn on lights and it hard to find a job, so I started dating my ex. Well I came up pregnant with my little girl. Things got bad he would work wouldn't take care of his child and to this today he still don't. I have learned maybe if I would have stayed home I would have the normal teen life. But I am rising kids and wondering how I am going to get through college I just gradated in may. All I'm saying your mother looking out for you so please I know why? She don't want you to end up like I did. I Don't reget my kids but they could have waited.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 12, 2009, 06:06 AM

This is a legal issue, so its . Until you reach 18 your custodial parent is responsible for you and you have to abide by their rules.

If your mom refuses to allow the move, your dad can get in legal trouble by letting you move in. If he wants a change in custody, he needs to go to court and ask for it. Generally, your preference will be listened to, but a judge will make the decision.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I move h1 to f1 and in between I get the project so I will again move to f1 to h1 [ 2 Answers ]

Hi this is andy here. Right now I am in h1 of usa and for the knowledge purpose I want to move h1 to f1 and after finish my study of 4 month can I move f1 to h1 again easily? Can please give some idea what is the exact procedure and law for changing status? Thanks Andy

Want to move out of Texas with my children have not been served any papers can I move [ 2 Answers ]

Want to move out of Texas with my children have not been served any papers can I move

Move School Move Country [ 2 Answers ]

Hey, In early 2007 I decided I wanted to study over seas. My dad thought it was a good idea so we went to the meetings and I got prepared. In the last 6 months preparing my dad told me I can't go. Its not the money and he said it was because I was been rude or something. Now I want to move over...

To move or not to move - Tub Drain [ 3 Answers ]

Hi there, I am installing a 72" soaker tub into a properly roughed in basement bathroom. The soaker tub's drain is not in the traditional spot and is positioned in the middle of the length of the bath. I have a 2" snub up located about 24-30" from where my tub drain will sit. Do I have to cut up...

View more questions Search