Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kjeff678 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 17, 2009, 08:53 AM
    Reset computer back to factory settings
    I was trying to clean up my computer and did a recovery. Now all my files are gone, it won't let me restore to a previous time and I can't even get online.
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

Aug 17, 2009, 09:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by kjeff678 View Post
    I was trying to clean up my computer and did a recovery. Now all my files are gone, it won't let me restore to a previous time and i can't even get online.
    If you used a recovery disc provided with the computer by the manufacturer, these types of discs often completely erase the hard drive before reinstalling all the software. Consequently all your files as well as all the prior restore points may have been erased. The recovery utility usually provides a warning to this effect that needs to be acknowledged in order to proceed. Please clarify exactly what you did.

If the drive was wiped, a data recovery service may be able to recover some of your data, although the odds are probably low if the drive has been overwritten with the reinstalled software. In any case, further use of the computer will reduce the odds even more.
    kjeff678 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 17, 2009, 10:36 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Scleros View Post
    If you used a recovery disc provided with the computer by the manufacturer, these types of discs often completely erase the hard drive before reinstalling all the software. Consequently all your files as well as all the prior restore points may have been erased. The recovery utility usually provides a warning to this effect that needs to be acknowledged in order to proceed. Please clarify exactly what you did.

If the drive was wiped, a data recovery service may be able to recover some of your data, although the odds are probably low if the drive has been overwritten with the reinstalled software. In any case, further use of the computer will reduce the odds even more.
    I didn't use a disk I just went to the system recovery in the start menu
    seahwk83 Posts: 3,276, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Aug 17, 2009, 12:03 PM

Did your computer come with recovery discs?

What model computer do you have?

What Operating system?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Reboot to factory settings. [ 4 Answers ]

How do you reboot your laptop to its original factory settings without a back up disc?

How Do I Reboot My computer to factory settings? [ 4 Answers ]

I want to reboot my computer, I've given up on trying to fix it, I own a laptop Hp pavilion dv4000. I have two disc that I think might be the ones I need but I am not sure, One is Application and Driver Recovery DVD I tried it but all it did was reinstall a bunch of programs, I want my...

If I return my laptop back to factory settings will it remove viruses [ 2 Answers ]

If I return my laptop back to its factory settings will it remove viruses

Rebooting computer to original factory settings [ 6 Answers ]

How do I reboot my computer to my original factory settings

Re set my laptop to factory settings [ 3 Answers ]

Hi can anyone tell me how to reset a laptop to its factory setting if you have none of the original discs all I have is the laptop and want to get rid of all the excess junk on it

View more questions Search