Oct 24, 2006, 07:29 AM
    Dachshund
    I Have Been Taking Care Of My Brother-in-laws Two Mini Dachshunds
    Since He Was Called Up (army) About A Year Ago, One Of Them Has Become
    Very Aggressive About Everything Space, Toys, Bones, My Daughter,
    But I'm The One Who Does For Them, But He Sleeps With My Daughter
    Why Would He Start This Now? Nothing Has Changed! He Has Tried To Bite
    Me And My Son. I Have Had To Put Him Outside To Keep Him Away Because
    He Was Getting Out Of Hand. What Should I Do?

Help!! Jessica
    pontiacqueen85 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 24, 2006, 08:19 AM
    I have a mini dash. And at times she can be aggressive with her bed or new bones and sometimes with my father in law. I took her to the vet and he said at times things are shaken up for her and it is hard for her to adjust. It's like new scenery or something for them. The one dog may be having a hard time adjusting. I would take it to the vet and let him know what is going on. Sometimes dogs need routines just like we do and you may want to ask whoever the owner is to give you a list of routines. Those type dogs also get tired really easy, so if you guys are home all day and he's not use to that, then he is not getting proper rest or the rest that he is use to. I hope this helps.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 24, 2006, 03:09 PM
    How old is he? It is quite common for dogs to change temperaments as they age until their personalities are mature at 3 years old. With somebody the right age in the family, 4-H dog training is a great idea. In my area, clubs form soon after the first of the year. That seems a long to let the problem fester, but realistically, the holidays are almost upon us and a lot of what else will be done this year is already done. Even many urban areas have 4-H. For info look in your phone book under government listings for extension or cooperative extension offices. Ask specifically about a dog or canine club. The dogs see all the people and dogs in the household as a pack with each having their own rank in the pack and a top dog. Life is much easier if the 2 legged pack members outrank the 4 legged ones. You can learn to play the role of top dog by reading some books or going to a good obedience class. A good obedience class or book is about you being top dog, not about rewarding standard commands a treat. Start at http://www.dogsbestfriend.com/. If your son or daughter isn't old enough for 4-H, perhaps you can attend a class or work out of a good book.

In the mean time, start applying these rules to him, http://www.dogbreedinfo.com./topdogrules.htm

Note, almost always, if a behavior problem crops up, start with a vet visit. Since it isn't your dog, you might not be free to neuter it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Vomiting dachshund [ 4 Answers ]

I have a 8 month old mininuture dachshund who has been on the same food all of it's life. IAMS for puppies. Every once in awhile she would vomit but now she does this all the time. I have changed food and she still does it.

Dachshund sick [ 14 Answers ]

Hi my dog was throwing up bile and could note even hold down water for 2 days so I brought her to the vet. The vet gave her an injection and it has made her worse she is very thirsty but as soon as she drinks it comes up again. I have tried feeding her bits of food but she won't eat anything. She...

Dachshund [ 2 Answers ]

I just adopted a 5 year old miniature dachshund. I have noticed that she has not been eating very much. She goes over to her food dish, puts her nose down into it and pushes the food around. What does that mean?

My dachshund is sick [ 2 Answers ]

Scooby is our dachshund's name. He is wonderful to have around. Yesterday he started coughing and trying to get something out of his throat. When he does get something up it is just white mucus. He isn't eating much and isn't his usually playful self. What can I do for him?

Dachshund won't eat [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 15 year old mini dashund that was recently diagnosed with a cancerous tumor in one lung. To limit her coughing she was put on codine. She has progressively lost her desire to eat. Other wise she seems OK. We've given her steak, liverworst, peanut butter,. Each time we think we find...

View more questions Search