Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Kevanovitch Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 23, 2006, 11:42 PM
    Installing a cleanout on my main sewer?
    Hello,
    My neighbor and I will be digging a 9 foot deep hole on the side of my house to access my main sewer line which is about 3 feet inside the foundation of my house. Can anyone tell me the level of difficulty of this job... and how to do it? I want to install a cleanout so I can have access to my main from the side of my house. I think I have clay pipes... house built in 1963 in Seattle. Much thanks!
    Kevin
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Oct 24, 2006, 03:25 AM
    The hardest part is the digging. Once you expose the drain it's easy from there.

You'll get a hub resembling a T that you'll shoot a vertical pipe off. Just be sure to get a tee that has a curve on the side point up so that your vertical line that goes down to it (the cleanout itself) will curve away from the house (so that when you shoot a snake down it it will easily go DOWN the line).

Like this:
    Attached Images

iamgrowler Posts: 1,421, Reputation: 110
    Ultra Member

Oct 24, 2006, 09:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevanovitch
    Hello,
    My neighbor and I will be digging a 9 foot deep hole on the side of my house to access my main sewer line which is about 3 feet inside the foundation of my house. Can anyone tell me the level of difficulty of this job...and how to do it? I want to install a cleanout so I can have access to my main from the side of my house. I think I have clay pipes...house built in 1963 in Seattle. Much thanks!!
    Kevin
    If it is clay, you will need to rent a snap cutter to cut the clay tile - Handy Andy up on Aurora usually has 1 or 2 to rent.

You will also need a length of pipe, a combination wye branch, a clean out adapter and plug and two concrete to plastic Fernco adapters, which can be readily found at the McClendons in Renton or White Center.

The only difficult part of this job is taking your time when cutting the clay pipe, too much pressure too soon can fracture the pipe beyond your cut.
    dclynch Posts: 202, Reputation: 19

Oct 24, 2006, 09:32 AM
    Digging a nine foot deep hole can be dangerous. Be sure you either dig a wide hole with a gradual slope or else properly reinforce the walls of the hole so they don't cave in.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

May 31, 2011, 12:56 PM
    Comment on dclynch's post
    Absolutely! 9ft. Is very deep for a DIY job. You and your neighbors life depend on it.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

May 31, 2011, 09:30 PM

Ma0641: you are responding to almost 5 years old question. This thread is dead.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Looking for the Cleanout [ 3 Answers ]

Jenniferb209 has asked a public question in Plumbing Question Title : finding a cleanout to snake Question Details: I seem to have a clog in the main line, as I have both plunged And used drain opener without success. My tub drains extremely slow, and if There is any water in the tub, the...

Toilet drains slow due to cleanout? [ 1 Answers ]

:confused: I have got an issue with a toilet that is draining slow. It seems to have started after I capped a cleanout access upline to the toilet. Is this possilbe? I haven't tried to uncap the access, but there is a vent between the cap and the toilet drain. It is a new toilet, and before I...

Main drain [ 1 Answers ]

My main sewer backed up 4 times a year. Cost me $100 every time I called the plumber. What type of chemical can I used to prevent this. I have no tree in front of house at all. Thank you in advanced

Cleanout access [ 1 Answers ]

I want to put in a laminate floor over the square hole in the basement that accesses the main sewer cleanout (3" PVC). What is the easiest and most recommendable way of doing that enabling access as well as making it aestatically pleasing? Any suggestions would be more than welcome...

View more questions Search