Ask
    waldo5 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 12, 2009, 08:44 AM
    How to Wire a Split Receptacle Controlled by a Switch
    How to Wire a Split Receptacle Controlled by a Switch
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Aug 12, 2009, 12:05 PM

So you want half the receptacle to be controlled by the switch and the other half hot 24/7, right? Don't know how many wires are running to your outlet but it is likely you need a seconh hot which does not pass through the switch box. Conduit or cable?
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Aug 12, 2009, 08:38 PM

Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can a GFCI be controlled by a switch? [ 4 Answers ]

I currently have a vanity with a built in light and a built in outlet that is turned on and off by a light switch near the door. I want to remove the vanity, install a GFCI outlet and wire in two new lighting fixtures. I recently read that a GFCI outlet should not be controlled by a switch, but...

How to wire a new 4 wire receptacle for a dryer [ 2 Answers ]

Present dryer receptacle is three prong with four wires; white wire is not connected. Changing to a 4 wire receptacle for a dryer.

3 wire to 4 wire from sub panel to receptacle [ 1 Answers ]

I am installing a new stove and running new romex from the box to the stove. How do I properly connect the 4 wires at the box that currently has only 3 wires so that the new system is grounded? Saw this above and it is similar to my question earlier, with the response being "yes" as to the box...

Wire connections for wall switches remotely controlled [ 2 Answers ]

I have two pool lights connected in series to a single wire. I purchased two remote switches and a remote controller. I do not know how to correctly connect the two switches s they can be operated separtely.:confused:

Outlet Controlled by a Switch [ 4 Answers ]

I replaced the electrical outlets in a room I recently had dry-walled. One of the outlets I replaced was partially (1 of the 2 receptacles) controlled by a wall switch. I hooked the new outlet up exactly as the old one was, but now the outlet is on all of the time. The wall switch no longer...

View more questions Search