Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    darsenault Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Aug 7, 2009, 07:22 AM
    Early withdrawal of 401K
    Will I be taxed the additional 10% for early withdrawal of 401K, if I am unemployed, and own my own home, and need it to survive?:(
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 7, 2009, 07:40 AM

Unless you were over 55 (I think) when you were terminated, then yes.

Aug 7, 2009, 08:08 AM

Thanks it just stinks that in this economy and trying to do what you need to - to survive, that they will take additional money!

Thanks again
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 7, 2009, 08:24 AM

You have to understand that you receive tax breaks to contribute to the 401(k). Its not a saving vehicle but a retirement vehicle. They don't want you using up your retirement money now.
    IntlTax Posts: 831, Reputation: 23
    Tax Expert

Aug 7, 2009, 07:22 PM

If bankruptcy is a possibility in the future, you may not want to touch your 401(k) funds. I believe that if you have funds in a 401(k) when you declare bankruptcy they cannot be taken away. On the other hand, if the funds are not in the 401(k), they can be taken away.

Just an idea. You may want to speak with a bankruptcy attorney.

Aug 8, 2009, 06:43 AM

I have no reason to declare bankruptcy and do not want to go through that course. It is just at the current time being unemployed I am only receiving 50% of my salary. Thank God I had a bank account which is coming in handy but dwindling. I guess I am just trying to seek out all my options in the case I am not soon gainfully employed. I have owned my own home for 15 years and would like to keep it that way. Thanks all for the help!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Early withdrawal of 401K [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I was working in US from 2000 May to 2004 May on HI B visa and I had $27781.0 in 401K. I am an Indian citizen with Australian permanent residency from 1992 onwards. In 2004 I moved to Australia and working here since then. Since I was bit concerned about my 401 K money without having any...

Early withdrawal from 401k [ 2 Answers ]

My husband recently quit his job to go back to school. Now we are living off my income only w/a little help from family. Can I pull from my 401k at my work as a hardship withdrawal? To help with living expenses so we don't have to borrow money from the bank again!

Early 401k withdrawal [ 1 Answers ]

If I take an early 401k withdrawal and have no reported income for the same year the withdrawal is taken, am I still penalized? Thanks!

401K early withdrawal [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 401K question about early withdrawal. I quit my job about 5 years ago where this 401k is. (I do have a new employer.) I am allowed a full payout, with the penalties. 401K balance - $5000.00 (apprx) I have the understanding that 20% is immediately taken out for federal taxes with...

Hardship withdrawal for early withdrawal of 401K [ 0 Answers ]

I am, 56 years old, live in the State of Florida, and just lost my job. I have a small 401K ($6,000) with this company and want to withdraw all of it and put it in a savings account to help tide me over until I find another job. I know I will be charged a 10% early withdrawal fee, and I also...

View more questions Search