Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    clarky2 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 3, 2009, 05:24 PM
    Renting a room in a house
    What are the legalities if I were to rent out a room short term, just to people on vacation for a week or so here and there (maybe a total of 1 or 2 weeks per month). No food included. Besides submitting the income from this on my tax returns, would I need to do anything else? I'm thinking of doing this to help out with my mortgage.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 3, 2009, 05:45 PM

You need to check zoning laws as this might run afoul of them.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 3, 2009, 05:47 PM

Your home would need to be zoned either multi family or for a rooming house. ( or for a bed and breakfeast, what ever type of zonning rules your local government has) Your city may also require a business license.
    clarky2 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 3, 2009, 06:53 PM
    The thing is that I live in the house and will be living there. Its just a way to get a little extra income. I would be doing it maybe only once or twice a month for maybe a few days at a time. It wouldn't be a bed and breakfast. Room only for out of town guests... who would pay me a small amount.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Renting a room in my house [ 4 Answers ]

Hello there, My question is I am trying my best to stay in my home with my family. To do this I don't see any other way than renting out one of the rooms. It's on the other side of the home and has it's own bathroom with a shower stall. I also have a 5 year old boy I am very apprehesive about...

Contract for renting a room in salon [ 2 Answers ]

Hello I wonder if anyone can help, I am a self employed beautician who at the moment rents a room and has profit share in a local beauty salon. My problem is this... At this time I pay a rent of £25.00 per week to the salon owner plus I give her 55% of all moneys I take. This is what I and...

When Renting An Apt. Can kids (boy & girl) share a room? [ 1 Answers ]

I get numerous calls from families wanting to rent a 2 bedroom apartment, when what they really need is a 3 bedroom apartment. :confused: Is there a law that states how many children can fit into 1 bedroom (their parents would have their own bedroom)? :confused: Is there a law against a boy...

Renting a room to a friend, what kind of lease should I use? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a friend that needs a place to stay for 6 months until they move into a house. I am willing to rent him a room in my house for him & his wife in the meantime. I want us to remain friends, so I told him that we would write down everything ahead of time prior to his moving in so that we all...

Renting a room in a beauty salon [ 2 Answers ]

I pay full time rent for a room ia a beauty salon, but I profer to use the room four days a week. I pay the rent so as to not share the room.Does the owner have the right to ask me too allow someone else to use the room in my absence?

View more questions Search