Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DaveS002 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 21, 2006, 08:22 AM
    Cannot open file
    I'm running Windows XP, home edition. If I drag and drop or cut and paste a file from one directory to another, I cannot open the file with it's associated application. If instead, I copy and paste the file from one dirctory to another, I have no problem opening it.

I get an error message that says that the file is read only (not true) or that the disk is full (not even close).

This happens to me with all Window based applications I am running.

Dave
    Sager Posts: 31, Reputation: 4

Nov 2, 2006, 01:03 PM
    You might try, right click the file, change attributes to archive
    And change properties to original file association when you drag and drop.
    raull Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 14, 2006, 08:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveS002
    I'm running Windows XP, home edition. If I drag and drop or cut and paste a file from one directory to another, I cannot open the file with it's associated application. If instead, I copy and paste the file from one dirctory to another, I have no problem opening it.

I get an error message that says that the file is read only (not true) or that the disk is full (not even close).

This happens to me with all Window based applications I am running.

Dave
    Hello Dave,
    I just found the same problem on my laptop but only on one of its disk drives, which happens to be the one I just duplicated using Retrospect 7.5 (not sure if Retrospect is guilty or not).

I wonder what to do. Has any one found a solution? Setting/clearing the archive bit did not help.
    Thanks,
    Raul
    coolbalan Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jan 1, 2007, 02:55 AM
    Hi.. can u tell what type of file are u using es is it Word, adobe, etc.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to open a MPP (Microsoft Project) file [ 10 Answers ]

How can I open a mpp file? Do I need Microsoft project? Is there anyway to open the file if I don't have this Microsoft project?

System reboots when open video file [ 2 Answers ]

My computer restarts whenever I open any video files. I have download some videos from the internet and wheneve I try to open them my system reboots. Windows shows the following error: C:\DOCUME~1\SIMERJ~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\WER71cc.dir00\Mini101206-01.dmp...

How to open .that file [ 5 Answers ]

I'm trying to open a .dat file, does any one know how ? :(

Can't Open PDF File in New Window from Captivate [ 5 Answers ]

I have a Captivate (cp) file where I have a button that should open a new window and open a pdf file. It doesn't work. It just opens my browser. I tried using java script, and it would open a new window, but I can't get the pdf file to show. Any suggestions?

Cannot open file anymore after moving them [ 2 Answers ]

I used XP professional at home which has three accounts. Both my spouse and I have the accounts of administration. I downloaded recently several important documents and I can read them at that time. Today I want to classify them and created several folders and move these files and folders...

View more questions Search