Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    unluckynut Posts: 294, Reputation: 23

Aug 1, 2009, 02:55 PM
    Cherry trees
    How far apart can you plant cherry trees and still have them pollenate?
    KUXJ Posts: 975, Reputation: 97

Aug 1, 2009, 05:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by unluckynut View Post
    How far apart can you plant cherry trees and still have them pollenate?
    Hi! unluckynut
    Depends on how hard you want to work the bee's... sorry couldn't resist, but it is a valid concern... colony collapse disorder - Google Search

Years ago the norm was 200 trees per acre, now it's 400, and some orchards are approaching 5,000.

With a little math an acre comes to 43,560sq' divide that by 200 = 217.8sq' or each tree is in the center of an area approximately 11' on a side or 11' from each other.

For 400 trees I think it would be safe to assume half that distance or 5.5' from each other.

For 5000 that would be 8.7sq' or trees 4' apart.

The planting density has increased exponentionaly, because of CCD, that has hit certain areas of the U.S. hard, On the page link above. The fifth link down is an image, If your in one of those states keep 'em close, you might even have to self-pollinate.
    My Dad never planted fruit trees further than 10' apart

Case Study: Weaver’s Orchard

EB0838 Why Fruit Trees Fail To Bear

Potential pollen parents

k

Aug 2, 2009, 08:26 PM

Kuxj
    Thanks so much. We wanted to put 2 cherrt trees on a small island but thought they would be too close. You proved us wrong!! Thanks again.

Aug 3, 2009, 04:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by unluckynut View Post
    kuxj
    Thanks so much. We wanted to put 2 cherrt trees on a small island but thought they would be too close. You proved us wrong !!. Thanks again.
    Your Welcome!
    Though something was botherin' me 'bout that 5000figure ever since I posted it...

I'm glad I slept on it... I was thinking an area like 2'x4' to come to 8.7, but I was doin' the apples/oranges thing an not stayin' with sq.' so the answer for 5000 is 2.95 feet apart

Don't know how far you got with the Colony Collapse articles, The last I heard, they had it narrowed down to a bacterium in the digestive track of a spider mite.

On the flip side there are schools of thought on how far apart do you need to keep certain plants, or trees so they don't hybridize.

what's that eddie?....my helper eddie wants to know if your gonna make pie with those cherries, he'd like to see a pix if possible...:)

k

Aug 3, 2009, 01:35 PM

I forwarded the info to family, what we were doing was making a memorial for my brother who past recently and placed his ashes on an island on his property. He liked cherries while he was sick, so thought we'd planted him some. The island is about 50 x 20.at the base. The top a lot smaller. Someone kept saying they had to be 25 feet apart. But ypu let us know we can fit both, which is what they wanted to do. Many many thanks, There is a bench on top of the island so maybe some day we can visit him and eat cherries. You helpedd us out greatly. Xoxo

Aug 3, 2009, 03:22 PM
    I am so sorry to hear of your loss, and what you are planning will be very comforting to you and visitors to the memorial.

If I may make a suggestion. You could have a Living memorial here to.

You could still take a photo and uploaded it to the bereavement forum Bereavement - Ask Me Help Desk where it would be available to all of your family members that have web access. All you would need to do is give them the link and then they would be able to visit.

You could periodically update the photos and leave comments. For something like this, I don't think the Admin's would mind if you gave your log-in to your family to allow them the chance to comment also. That would be your secret.

Footprints

One night I had a dream--
    I dreamed I was walking along the beach with the Lord
    and across the sky flashed scenes from my life.
    For each scene I noticed two sets of footprints,
    one belonged to me and the other to the Lord.
    When the last scene of my life flashed before me,
    I looked back at the footprints in the sand.
    I noticed that many times along the path of my life,
    there was only one set of footprints.
    I also noticed that it happened at the very lowest
    and saddest times in my life.
    This really bothered me and I questioned the Lord about it.
    "Lord, you said that once I decided to follow you,
    you would walk with me all the way,
    but I have noticed that during the most troublesome times in my life
    there is only one set of footprints.
    "I don't understand why in times when I needed you most,
    you should leave me."
    The Lord replied, "My precious, precious child,
    I love you and I would never, never leave you
    during your times of trial and suffering.
    "When you saw only one set of footprints,
    it was then that I carried you."

...Mary Stevenson

The Official Footprints In The Sand Page

Aug 3, 2009, 11:05 PM

Thanks again I'll look into that

Aug 3, 2009, 11:26 PM
    Your Welcome... If there's anything I can do... don't hesitate to PM me... Steve

May 13, 2010, 11:30 PM

Just a note to let you know the cherry tree has cherries on it already. Thanks steve.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cherry juice [ 7 Answers ]

I've heard good things about pure cherry juice. I've heard that it can cure headaches and a friend of mine says that her boyfriend swears by it he will usually drink a glass mixed with water once in the morning and once at night and he doesn't have the usual aches and pains anymore from his...

OLD CARTOON- Look at the cherry trees, they are beginning to blossom [ 2 Answers ]

Does anyone remember there was an old cartoon... I think it was like an ad... those mini cartoons they showed between shows. And there was this princes... and the line that sticks with me is 'Look at the cherry trees, they are beginning to blossom'. Her husband was missing for 20 years because...

Cherry tree [ 1 Answers ]

If I were to plant a sweet cherry tree would I have to plant 2 trees in order for pollination or will one tree self pollinate to get cherrys?

Trimming Weeping Cherry Trees [ 1 Answers ]

I have a weeping cherry tree that I planted about 3 years ago. The trunk must be a very slow grower but the limbs are everywhere, dragging the ground. The trunk is now about 4' tall and the thing just looks like a big bush. When is the proper time to trim these limbs back and how far back is it OK...

View more questions Search