Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    FfionStevenson Posts: 10, Reputation: 2

Jul 29, 2009, 12:26 PM
    I need a good book
    I love reading. I'm fifteen years old. My favourite book is Memoires Of a Geisha. I also love books like Goodnight Mister Tom (sooooo good!) and The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time. I would loove any recommendations, they're all welcome :D. I also enjoyed Series Of Unfortunate Events. Oh, and I adored Wolf Brother :). Varied I know :p.
    Xxxxxxxxxx
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

Jul 29, 2009, 12:38 PM

Since you liked Memoirs of a Geisha(one of my favs also) you might like The Joy Luck Club.

Jul 29, 2009, 12:43 PM

Thank yoou :)xx

Jul 29, 2009, 01:09 PM
    Any more books?
    Xxx
    0EntitY Posts: 61, Reputation: 5

Jul 29, 2009, 01:18 PM

I didn't realize I loved reading until I started reading Fantasy stories. My first book was, Magician Apprentice by Raymond E. Feist.
    There are too many stories and series to list here, but here are a few really good Fantasy writers.
    George R. R. Martin
    Robert Jordan
    R.A. Salvatore
    Terry Brooks

Jul 29, 2009, 01:28 PM

Thank you :) Keep recommendations coming :]

Xx
    0EntitY Posts: 61, Reputation: 5

Jul 29, 2009, 01:33 PM

Well, if you want a treat read,
    The DemonWars Saga is a series of seven novels written by R.A. Salvatore.
    I just could not put these books down and when I was finished I wanted More!
    TulipJen Posts: 9, Reputation: 2

Jul 29, 2009, 02:47 PM
    If you enjoyed Memoirs then "Snow Flower and the Secret Fan" might interest you. My fav of all time is Jimmy Buffett's "A Salty Piece of Land." Yep, Jimmy Buffett the singer. The book is a nice light beach read.
    XOXOlove Posts: 830, Reputation: 131

Jul 29, 2009, 03:11 PM

I love the Kite Runner and also A Thousand Splendid Sons and Harry Potter.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 29, 2009, 03:16 PM

Sue Monk Kidd - The Secret Life of Bees

Jul 30, 2009, 11:11 AM

Thank you :) xxx
    roxypox Posts: 1,028, Reputation: 328
    Ultra Member

Aug 1, 2009, 08:37 AM
    "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time." is a great book isn't it :) Loved it. I also work with kids who have Autism, and that's why I read it to being with, but I adore it so so much.

If you want book suggestions I have a ton :D So get ready ;)

Seeing as you like the books you do you might enjoy some of Alice Hoffman's books:

1. Practical Magic.
    2. The Probable Future.

Both are lovely, the latter is a book that centers on 3 generations of women. The grand mother, the mom and a teenage girl. They all have special abilities. What I really love about this book is how Hoffman is able to portray the bonds between all 3 of the women as well as their bonds with each of the other.

She has a great way of writing, practical magic was the first one I read and her writing got me from page one.

Have you read Harry potter? I personally love those books. So much more detailed of course then the movies (although I'll say that the movies are pretty good adaptations from the books :))

Mark Haddon also has written some other books
    1. A Spot of Bother
    2. The Talking Horse and the Sad Girl and the Village Under the Sea: Poems.

I also like Girl, Interrupted by Susanna Kaysen. Its not a very long book, but I think its fascinating how Kaysen writes about her experiences (while she was at a psychiatric ward in the late 60s. She was there for two years. She has a great way of looking at her situation.)

Nice and neat order:

1. Piratical magic by Alice Hoffman
    2. The probable future by Alice Hoffman
    3. Harry potter 1-7
    4. Girl, interrupted by Susanna Kaysen.
    5. A Spot of Bother by Mark Haddon
    6. The talking horse and the sad girl and the village under the sea by Mark Haddon

If you like poetry I have great suggestions there as well.

Hope this was of some help. :)

Aug 2, 2009, 04:23 AM

Thank you so much for the recommendations :] I'm currently reading Wild Swans by Jung Chang :D you ever read it?
    Xx
    Ultra Member

Aug 2, 2009, 06:41 AM

No Can't say I have. ;) are you enjoying it?

I must admit that I don't get to read nearly as much for pleasure as I would like. I usually only have time to read stuff for school. And now I've started doing research for my Grad theses. LOL which is interesting reading at least ;)

Right now I'm re-reading Harry potter and the deathly hollows (I didn't finish it last time)

So what is the book you're reading now about?

Aug 2, 2009, 07:59 AM

I'm only on the first chapter but its really good so far :) haha. I've read all of the Harry Potter books except the last one! I'm to nervous that everybody I like is going to die! LOL

It's about China. That's all I've really learned so far :P
    Wild Swans - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    There you go :)
    Xxxx
    nikosmom Posts: 1,611, Reputation: 488
    Ultra Member

Aug 2, 2009, 08:05 AM

The Harry Potter books are awesome regardless of age!
    I'm a fan of some of the classics like To Kill a Mockingbird and Catcher in the Rye.
    Ultra Member

Aug 2, 2009, 11:46 AM
    It sounds very interesting (wild swans that is). I think mom has it at home. I can remember the picture of the book. : Although mom read this some years ago. ;)
    WaBeHS Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 2, 2009, 08:32 PM

I think you will love to read Dan Brown deception point
    Clive Cussler Valhalla rising- Sahara. Dean Koontz has a book that really enjoyed reading Watchers and Icebound.
    Try those books and let me know what you think.

Aug 3, 2009, 01:44 AM

It's really. I think you should read it, it reminds me of Memoirs of a Geisha for some reason with all the ceremonies :).

Thank yooou :)) I really want to read To Kill A Mockingbird but my library doesn't have it. Typical Wales :P. Thank yoou :)
    Xxx
    Chey5782 Posts: 423, Reputation: 65

Aug 3, 2009, 03:01 AM
    Genre?

I LOVE Ursula LeGuin, she is a captivating author, but she might be a bit more college level. Her stories tend to run on the shorter side, you can get compilations of her short stories in books easily. I heard about her in a movie and fell in love.

I just finished the Jim Butcher series about a wizard in modern day Chicago who advertises in the paper, there are 12 book in the series so far.

At fifteen I was very into F Scott Fitzgerald and Maya Angelou. My favorite author of all time is Jerzi Kozinski. He wrote a lot in the 70's ish and taught at Yale for a while. The first time I read The Painted Bird it changed my life. I have never read a book that strange since.

Christoper Moore is a very good popcorn writer. You would love him if you like comedy with a fairly interesting twisted plot. Lamb was written by him. It was about the life of Christ from the point of view of his childhood pal Biff, chronicling the period of Christs life the Bible left out. It's pure fiction and highly blasphemous, but quite funny. Jesus meets a wizard and a guru in India.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is a good thesis statement with any book and another book or movie [ 2 Answers ]

Well do u have a good thesis stament for sny book and movie

Needs of a good book [ 1 Answers ]

I'm looking forward to write a book... well its my own story actually... I want the readers to feel the love,pain,curiosity,thrill,prediction and so on... should I use good english or mix up some old english too ? Because they ve very nice n exact expressions,but still very hard to find their...

Is this book good? [ 1 Answers ]

I just bought the sequal to Inkheart called Inkspell. Is it worth reading? I read the back but it doesn't give a lot of info... so I was like what the heck is the book about:confused:? Anyway thanks please leave comments. There can never be too many:p!

Looking for a good book [ 10 Answers ]

Does somebody know a book about teenage experiences? Kind of for teengers not the same old boring child stories.

Good dog book? [ 9 Answers ]

If I had to buy one very good dog book which should I buy? I would like one that could give me all the information I need from training to caring for the dog to well, everything.

View more questions Search