Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lost?? Posts: 234, Reputation: 7

Jul 29, 2009, 05:41 AM
    Water leaking from heater when cetral air is turned on
    Hi,

Last night I noticed that there is water leaking from my heater in the basement when my central air is turned on. It must have just started last night because I was down there the day before and did not see any water. I purchased my house this year and the previous owner said that the cooling system is about 2-3 years old so I am hoping that it is just a clogged draining system for the condensation. I've turned the unit off to stop the leaking (of course during the hottest weather we've had all year), but I do not know much at all about about heating/cooling systems. Is there a way I can tell if it's just a clogged draining system and if so, is this something I can fix on my own?
    StaticFX Posts: 943, Reputation: 74

Jul 29, 2009, 10:48 AM

I would say you are correct... when its nice and hot (and humid) you get a lot more condensation. Start looking around for tubes etc... I bet you can fix this one yourself.

What kind of furnace is it? Make/model... maybe we can find a diagram of it online
    siberianair Posts: 360, Reputation: -4

Jul 29, 2009, 02:31 PM

You would need to see if the drain line has an opening.. if not you might have to cut the pvc pipe and unglog it and repair the pipe. Is there a p trap on the line. Best bet is to cut out p trap flush line and put a new p trap in.
    wmproop Posts: 3,749, Reputation: 91
    Ultra Member

Jul 29, 2009, 04:22 PM
    Have you got a shop vac? Try sucking out the drain pcv first wrap a rag around end of shop vac hose so you get plenty suction,, try this before you perform surgery ,can`t hurt-might help

Jul 29, 2009, 06:11 PM
    I removed the drain line pipe and water and dirt shot out. After the clean up, I took a hose and ran the water through the pipe to make sure there were no clogs. I had a friend who works for an HVAC company take a look and he recommended I get caplets which dissolve the dirt and place them in the water pan, which I did. I then put the siding back on and screwed back in the pipe and no more leak. I am going to keep an eye on it for a couple days but I think I'm good for now. Thanks for your responses.

Jul 29, 2009, 07:05 PM
    Also, I never really paid attention before, but I noticed that condensation is building up on the drain pipe now, but its not that much. I was just wondering if that was normal?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New hot water heater but I only get hot water when the heat is turned on [ 3 Answers ]

I live in an apartment that was recently gut renovated and I have a new hot water heater as well. The issue is that I have to turn on the heat in order to get hot water in the shower, kitchen and bathroom sinks, otherwise the water is cold. When the heat is on, the water is very hot, but...

Very low water pressue to house after replacing leaking valve on water heater [ 1 Answers ]

I replaced the leaking valve leading to the hot water heater, drained the hot water heater, turned the main valve to the house back on and now have very low water pressure to the house (cold and hot) The house has galvanized metal pipes... HELP please!:confused:

Water leaking from refrierator. Water turned off - drained. [ 2 Answers ]

I have water (10 gal a day) leaking from my refrierator. All water is off and drained. Where can it be coming from? Can it be from auto defrost?

Hot water handle leaking when shower is turned on [ 4 Answers ]

My hot water handle leaks when I turned the shower on... it doesn't leak normally when running a bath or when it is turned off... it's a relatively new setup.. not sure what trype it is...

Can I Run A Dishwasher W/water Heater Turned Off? [ 7 Answers ]

Hi. I have an electric water heater with a slow leak that I can't replace until later next week. I already turned it off and drained it. I did this before I realized that the dishwasher only takes water from the heater, and now of course I can't run the utterly packed dishwasher (divorced mom,...

View more questions Search