Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Oct 20, 2006, 05:43 AM
    Is the Bible divine?
    Just for my curiosity, What is it that makes the Bible the divine word of GOD? As it was written by men (many) how do we know it is the word of GOD? What credibility do the man who wrote it have? Is this the only word of God?
    Starman Posts: 1,308, Reputation: 135
    -

Oct 20, 2006, 07:43 PM
    Below is a link leading to an article which addresses your question.

http://www.acoc.org/bduncan/iob.htm
    Kyo_of_Dir_en_grey Posts: 13, Reputation: 3

Nov 1, 2006, 05:54 PM
    Honestly The bible has been changes so many times NOTHING in it is correct... well at least not 100% anyway. I don't believe in any god so the way I see it man has made the word divine because they are week and need a support that they cannot get from other people.

P.S. My religion is Wicca
    laurenjd Posts: 50, Reputation: 6

Jun 26, 2007, 07:50 PM
    2 Timothy 3:16 "All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness," I believe the Bible is the only Word of God. It's hard to convince people to believe in the Bible by telling them what the Bible says of course. But I can tell you that I've applied it to my life as have millions of people all over the world, and it's words prove to be powerful and effective in changing and helping people. There is no other book in history that can even compare! How would you explain that! If is was just merely a book written by men, why is it not long forgotten?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jun 27, 2007, 01:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Starman
    Below is a link leading to an article which addresses your question.

THE INSPIRATION OF THE BIBLE

Unfortunately it doesn't address it very well. Like trying to prove the existence of God, such arguments ultimately dissolve into philosophical positioning, not logical arguments.

At the end of the day there is no way to "prove" that the bible as we know it today was divinely inspired. Many Christians hold it as a fundamental point of faith - by arguing that the bible is literally inerrant it gives a solid bedrock to their faith that helps make things clear. There are other Christians who hold a less rigid view, understanding that the Bible was written by a collection of men (who by definition were not perfect) and has undergone numerous transcriptions and translations by people or committees that may not have been divinely inspired. For this group faith is still grounded in the Bible, but their interpretation and understanding of the bible's teachings is not set in concrete. This is what allows some Christian denominations to make significant changes in tradition, such as ordination of women and elevation of women bishops, without being in conflict with fundamental teachings of the bible (in their view).
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jun 27, 2007, 01:36 PM
    How would you explain that! If is was just merely a book written by men, why is it not long forgotten?
    There are many that keep it alive(Christians), the same can be said for the Torah, and the Quran.
    laurenjd Posts: 50, Reputation: 6

Jun 27, 2007, 06:48 PM
    Sorry, never heard of the Torah, Ovid or Homer. I'm not one to argue, all I believe a person can do is have faith. Besides, if I'm wrong, no big deal, but what if I chose not to believe in it and it really is true.
    Wangdoodle Posts: 217, Reputation: 50

Jun 27, 2007, 07:11 PM
    I believe the Bible to be the Word of God because I accept the authority of those who declared it to be the Word of God. At the Councils of Hippo 393 A.D. and Carthage, 397 A.D. it approved the books of the OT and NT. Before that there was much debate over which books were inspired. Various lists were presented. Pope Innocent I in 405 A.D. approved and closed the canon of the Bible. I believe these Councils had the authority to decide what the Word of God was and what was not. The Apostles were given the authority by Christ to teach all nations. Those Apostles chose men to secede them, and those men chose men to secede them, and so on… These men then decided on what books and letters were the Word of God.
    cassini Posts: 39, Reputation: 2

Jun 27, 2007, 10:41 PM
    WHY we can't create a religious text like bible, that is the answer.
    nikki_22 Posts: 63, Reputation: 10

Sep 15, 2007, 02:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman
    Just for my curiosity, What is it that makes the Bible the divine word of GOD? As it was written by men (many) how do we know it is the word of GOD? What credibility do the man who wrote it have? Is this the only word of God?
    The Bible was written by men. The Council of Nicia was commissioned by the Roman Emperor Constantine to pick the books of the Bible. It was here that the tenets of the Christian faith were established. The Bible is great and we would all do well to live our lives by it, but we must be realistic. The Bible was written by men inspired by God. Believing it is a matter of faith. Some think men wrote it for political power. Some think men wrote it because they were led by the spirit of God to do so.
    Choux Posts: 3,047, Reputation: 376
    Ultra Member

Sep 15, 2007, 06:12 PM
    What makes The Bible the divine word of God? Because people **BELIEVE** that it is.

[Religion is faith, and faith is belief - not fact.]

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bible Help [ 3 Answers ]

I am looking for the translation from the Hebrew, Greek and Aramaic Bible into English. There are so many versions, and I keep getting pointed in different directions. Please Help! I'm Catholic, and I want something the King James Version. Thank you!

Bible question [ 119 Answers ]

:) Hello everyone, I have a question for all you Bible scholars. What is the theme of the Bible and what does it have to do with the end of this system of things? Thanks, Happyperson

The Background to the Bible [ 1 Answers ]

Thinking about something Keenu wrote about the background to the Bible wouldn't it be accurate to say that it didn't have one single background but each book of the Bible had its own background? What thoughts do you have? MORGANITE

Bible Help [ 2 Answers ]

I am looking for the oldest translation from the Hebrew, Greek and Aramaic Bible into English.  There are so many versions, and I keep getting pointed in different directions.  Please Help!  I'm Catholic, and I want something before the King James Version. Thank you! RionerPoet

View more questions Search