Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    HelpinHere Posts: 1,062, Reputation: 144
    Ultra Member

Jul 28, 2009, 06:50 PM
    New connection problems?
    I have been having new problems with my internet lately.

It started Sunday, not too long after I fixed my last problem... so it might be related, might not... not sure.

These problems usually happen any time trying to play videos like one YouTube (flash?) or extended times (about 2-3 minutes) playing flash games. It does happen at other times tha I can't seem to see a connection between.

The days these problems started, on the startup of my computer I got a Win32 error message (see attachment) and it comes up every startup since. I believe that this is the root of my problem, or is linked to it.

Does anyone know what is causing these problems, or maybe how I could fix them?
    Thank you for your time.
    Attached Images

seahwk83 Posts: 3,276, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Jul 28, 2009, 07:39 PM

First thing to check is your startup items

Start, run, type msconfig and go to startup tab
    -go through items listed there and look for something not familiar
    -if not sure, you can Google them or you can post what you have here
    Ultra Member

Jul 28, 2009, 07:49 PM

Hmm... didn't think to check that.

See, the problem is this isn't my computer, so I'm not sure what should be on here or not. (It's my moms)

I'll check on the others I'm not sure on later, but there is one without a label. Could that possibly be causing the problems?

EDIT: Found one labeled "NvCpl" could this be a problem? Some reports on Google say trusted, some say virus.
    Ultra Member

Jul 28, 2009, 08:14 PM

It would be for a nvidia graphic card, it's not harmful but really does not need to be started with the computer - it's optional

If you would like, you could post a pic of a hijackthis log
    Trend Micro HijackThis - Free software downloads and reviews - CNET Download.com

But as you are getting this on startup, the computer is trying to start a program/file that it is having a problem with

If you know,
    Any changes that either happened or that you perhaps made to your computer around the time that the problem started; particularly any Software or Hardware that you installed or setup
    Ultra Member

Jul 28, 2009, 08:35 PM

Okay, good to know.
    As far as the startup menu goes, there is nothing that doesn't really check out, except the one without a label, unless something is mislabeled.

Okay, waiting on the hijackthis log...

As far as the hardware goes, I relpaced a phone line, and removed a wireless router, but this was about 5-6 days before this problem occurred.

Hmm... after the initial run, HijackThis refuses to open to let me view the logfile... :confused:
    Ultra Member

Jul 28, 2009, 09:12 PM

Does not open for Do just system scan only and the option to scan and save a log file?

Did hijackthis install OK

Maybe try and restart computer then run

If you can, post what is listed in the startup menu items but the hijack log would show more than just that

Also, have you tried to run Malwarebytes?
    Malwarebytes.org
    Ultra Member

Jul 28, 2009, 09:28 PM

It installed correctly, I selected "run and save a filelog" it ran, scanned very quickly, then shut itself down and refuses to open by accessing it's file.

Malware just shut down in the middle of a scan... I'm beginning to think that maybe whatever is causing my problems is doing it?

Sure, here is what is listed in startup:

Enabled:
    Ybrwicon
    Realsched
    Shwiconem
    Jusched
    PDVDServ
    RECGUARD
    Nwiz
    NvMcTray
    ICO
    MotiveSB
    McENUI
    Mcagent
    EKIJ5000MUI
    YAHOOM~1
    AdobeUpdateMana... [ger]
    GoogleToolbarNotifier
    Ctfmon
    Adobe Reader Spe... [?]
    AT&T Self Support... [Tool]
    VersionTrackerPro
    Ymetray
    TrueAssistant

Disabled:
    Dumprep 0 -k
    Msmsgs
    NvCpl
    Qttask
    ________
    (the last one isn't underscores, it's the blank one I previously mentioned)
    Ultra Member

Jul 28, 2009, 09:46 PM

Nothing there that would be affecting anything but you can safely uncheck items below as these can be run manually or will run when needed - will help boot faster and improve some performance

realsched
    Jusched
    AdobeUpdateMana... [ger]
    PDVDServ
    Ctfmon
    NvMcTray

What ever is causing issue is not with these items

Boot into safe mode and then run malwarebytes and let it remove whatever it may find.

Then reboot and see if you can run hijackthis again

Here is an alternative to hijackthis - the screenshot will be something like the one posted in the links below - this shows a few more items than startup tab

But hijack will still be able to provide more info

XP Startup Organizer 1.1 freeware
    XP Startup Organizer freeware download - Top-rated FREE XP Startup Organizer - Best Freeware Download
    Ultra Member

Jul 28, 2009, 10:30 PM

In safe mode now.
    The error message in the OP didn't pop up.

Malwarebytes still doesn't run. It ran for three seconds, scanned 0 files, and shut itself down.
    Again... :(

About to try the new link you gave me.

Okay, that new link did the same thing. It started scanning, then shut itself down. Refuses to open again.
    Ultra Member

Jul 29, 2009, 12:11 AM

The error message in the OP didn't pop up.
    Would mean that is it something that is attempting to start with windows

Do you use any Mcafee products? Try below but please post if you are using mcafee (reason I ask is because of this file that is in the startup menu - McENUI)

Try and do below in Normal Mode first, if fail, do below steps in Safe mode

When you run malwarebytes there are 2 options, a quick scan and a full scan - does this happen when just doing a quick scan?

-If it does stop like that when doing a quick scan, Click on the Settings tab in malwarebytes and Uncheck "Always Scan Memory Objects"
    -Then go back and try to do the quick scan again
    -If starts up, let it 'fix' whatever it finds and then reboot computer

At this point, try to run hijackthis again to see if it will open

So try above and post back and post about the mcafee

You can always try and take the check out of
    McENUI in startup menu and apply and let restart to see if the error comes back, if the error does not come back after taking check out, you know it is that file
    -If the error does come back after taking check out of McENUI, then put check back in box so still in same place as before unchecking (this just to check to see if this could be the file)
    0EntitY Posts: 61, Reputation: 5

Jul 29, 2009, 12:53 AM

Worth a try...
    1. Go to 'Run' and open 'cmd'
    2. Type 'netsh' in command console then press enter
    3. Then type 'winsock' and press enter and then type reset
    4. Restart Your PC

Ortype, netsh winsock reset
    Ultra Member

Jul 30, 2009, 11:28 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by 0EntitY View Post
    Worth a try...
    1. Go to 'Run' and open 'cmd'
    2. Type 'netsh' in command console then press enter
    3. Then type 'winsock' and press enter and then type reset
    4. Restart Your PC

ortype, netsh winsock reset
    Did this, didn't do anything visible, problem persists. Thanks for trying.

Quote Originally Posted by seahwk83 View Post
    would mean that is it something that is attempting to start with windows

Do you use any Mcafee products? try below but please post if you are using mcafee (reason I ask is because of this file that is in the startup menu - McENUI)
    Well, McAfee uses itself, if that counts... lol
    Took the check out, didn't change anything, so put it back in.

Quote Originally Posted by seahwk83 View Post
    Try and do below in Normal Mode first, if fail, do below steps in Safe mode

when you run malwarebytes there are 2 options, a quick scan and a full scan - does this happen when just doing a quick scan?

-If it does stop like that when doing a quick scan, Click on the Settings tab in malwarebytes and Uncheck "Always Scan Memory Objects"
    -Then go back and try to do the quick scan again
    -If starts up, let it 'fix' whatever it finds and then reboot computer

At this point, try to run hijackthis again to see if it will open
    It happens using quick scan and full scan.
    Followed above steps, MalwareBytes still wouldn't run in either mode, neither would HijackThis.

Sorry this problem is so lame, lol...
    It's really irritating me.
    Ultra Member

Jul 30, 2009, 12:20 PM

Do you remember when last date was when everything 'was' working all right?

Would use a system restore to go back to date when these issues were not happening.

Steps below are the same for Vista

System Restore
    -Go down till you see
    How to use System Restore to restore Windows XP to a previous state
    How to restore Windows XP to a previous state

If this is something you try, I would do the restore and right after the restore, run malwarebytes, your antivirus, restart and then post hijack log if all goes right
    Ultra Member

Jul 30, 2009, 01:22 PM

The last time it was working...
    It was last Monday before all of these problems started happening.

However, I'm starting to suspect a virus. These problems have occurred, before this the router AND phoneline stopped working. The speakers have now stopped being recognized by the machine.
    All of the up-to-date scans are shut down, and all of the old scans detect nothing.

I don't have much experience with viruses, as I always have them blocked on my computer, but could this all be related?
    Ultra Member

Jul 30, 2009, 04:59 PM

As mentioned above, I would suggest a system restore back to last Monday and then
    right after the restore, run malwarebytes, your antivirus, restart and then post hijack log if all goes righ
    t

Jul 30, 2009, 06:13 PM

Well, I tried that. System restored to day before last Monday, didn't work. Tried a few days before that. Didn't work. Then tried a week, two, and the beginning of the month.
    None of it worked.

I then tried all of that again in safe mode (first tries was not in safe mode) and it still didn't work.

In case you are wondering what it said, I took a screenshot.
    Name:  Problem3.jpg
Views: 113
Size:  39.1 KB

Thanks again for all of your help, even if it isn't getting fixed yet... :):(
    Ultra Member

Aug 3, 2009, 09:42 PM

Okay, well... we finally gave in, and she called Geek Squad.

Apparently, it was a virus.
    We were informed that, given the age/model of the computer, it would cost more to fix it than it would to get a brand new computer.
    Instead of a new computer.

This one is a gateway, 2003/04 (not sure).
    The hookups all work fine, speakers working again, everything else.
    Except, the internet won't let me download things such as IE8 or JAVA. I managed to download JAVA offline, but it still doesn't work.

The error message I receive for IE8 is below.
    FLASH gets to the download page, and refuses to get past 0.0%.

Also, occasionally in the error messages mention various things about using a proxy.

Any idea how to fix this? (at the very least, how to get JAVA/FLASH, because this computer is mainly used for these things)
    Attached Images

Ultra Member

Aug 7, 2009, 12:53 PM

That was the next thing, a nasty virus. Don't why you could not just format the current PC and just reinstall the OS and basically start from scratch.

Whichever will work out the best for the situation, a new PC is always nice. Hope all this gets worked for you.
    Ultra Member

Aug 7, 2009, 12:59 PM

Hmm... well, the PC was rather old.
    She decided to just give up on it and get a new (err... refurbished) computer. Now she is running a Dell Optiplex GX50, and I got to wipe the old EMachine and am now setting it up to be for gaming! :)

Thanks for all the help! :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

AOL connection problems [ 2 Answers ]

I had to wipe my computer clean. I was registered with AOL for internet connection. I do not have a AOL disc to re-install back onto my computer. What can I do? I tried to install the latest upgrade on my computer but my password ond log in is not recognized.:confused::confused:

Connection problems [ 2 Answers ]

I use window xp version on my desk top computer. I am not able to connect to the internet I push connect and it makes the dialing noise but doesn't connect. It gives me an error message 678 that a connection can not be found. Please help

Connection problems [ 1 Answers ]

Sometimes when I get on the web I get a message that states there is no connection, I currently have cable high speed connection but no dial up connection as the warning advises, is there any way I can correct this problem. Redirect to cable connection or ?

View more questions Search