Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    house11674 Posts: 19, Reputation: 2

Jul 28, 2009, 06:36 AM
    We keep losing prime on water well
    When ever we hose or try to wash car if we continuously hose for like 2 0 min we loose the prime on our well. Why is this and how can we fix it as its very aggravating. Our well is 80 feet.:(
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 28, 2009, 06:41 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by house11674 View Post
    When ever we hose or try to wash car if we continuously hose for like 2 0 min we loose the prime on our well. Why is this and how can we fix it as its very aggravating. our well is 80 feet.:(
    At first I thought it might have been a faulty check valve but not if you lose pressure when pumping.
    Larger pressure or storage tank would help. You might be pumping down a lowered water table if the pressure and volume suddenly drops and you lose prime. If you run out of water to pump that's what happens. When you get repaired let us know what was wrong. Good luck, Tom
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Jul 28, 2009, 03:37 PM

After twenty minutes solid, might he be pumping the well dry?
    csavage1 Posts: 86, Reputation: 5

Jul 28, 2009, 04:55 PM

You can install a large bladder tank and that will give you more water storage,more pressure,longer drawdown before the pump kicks in to satisfy the pressure switch.

You can also install a submersible pump and the priming is history. Although the submersible pump in the well can pump 10 gallon per min . Then a low water cut off pressure switch should be added to help save the pump from running when the water level drops below the pump. The 80 ft deep well hopefully has a good recovery.

A new fiberglass 100 gallon storage tank and a v60 bladder style tank would give you great results along with a submersible pump installed.

Good luck lets us know how it goes.
    Uber Member

Jul 28, 2009, 05:05 PM

If you pump into a 100 gallon storage tank, you will then have to repump into the pressure tank... two pumps.

Jul 28, 2009, 05:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jlisenbe View Post
    If you pump into a 100 gallon storage tank, you will then have to repump into the pressure tank...two pumps.
    Not if you install the 100 gallon tank in line with the bladder tank and use a check valve.
    Uber Member

Jul 29, 2009, 04:01 AM

If you do that, how will that not result in pressurizing the holding tank (which is not a good idea)?

Jul 29, 2009, 05:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jlisenbe View Post
    If you do that, how will that not result in pressurizing the holding tank (which is not a good idea)?
    Fiberglass,composite PRESSURE TANKS made by Wellmate 80 gallon and 120 are used where water is corrosive and reacts to galvanized tanks.

These are used for treatment,retention etc...

I have replaced many galvanized pressure tanks that have weep holes(leaks from rusting inside} Google Wellmate for more info.

Just trying to help!! Check it out.
    Uber Member

Jul 29, 2009, 05:55 AM

Now that makes sense. Your first reference was to a "new fiberglass 100 gallon storage tank". That struck me as a holding tank. Just a misunderstanding.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I prime a water well pump? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a well for the water in my home. I have no pressure the pump is in good working condition I took it to a repair shop they told me it was not my problem. I remember my dad having to prime the pump... but I never learned how.

Can't get water pump to prime [ 8 Answers ]

My pump motor seems fine but continues to run and no water comes out. I've tried to prime it and after pouring in the water, I can hold my hand over the hole and the suction is good but yet it will not allow the water to run in. Usually if you prime a pump, you can tell by the sound that it is...

GM 6.2L Diesel Losing Prime [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I've got an 85 Suburban, 6.2l Diesel. I'm losing prime after sitting for extended (10+ hrs) of time. I see no fuel leaks. I have replaced: Fuel Tank Sending unit Fuel Pump (with electric) Fuel line from tank to filter Fuel Filter and housing

Prime water pump [ 1 Answers ]

Please let me know how to prime a well water pump? Thank you, Luz

View more questions Search