Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    prosborn76 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 19, 2006, 07:23 PM
    Heater blows warm air but also cold
    Our heater blows warm air out as it is supposed to, but also blows cold air out of the cold air return vents. Any idea on how to fix this short of replacing the system?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 19, 2006, 07:47 PM
    How old is the system, and how long has it been doing it? What other work may have been done on the house since the last time it worked right? Did it work OK in the cooling season? Where do the ducts run? Most systems have ducts gathering the return air in the center of the house, and ducting it to the furnace. At the furnace, it passes through the filter, the blower itself, through the heat exchanger, then to the A coil, and then into the supply ducts. If you have a heat pump, it is much the same except no heat exchanger. Are the filters are clean? My guess is that somehow you have damage to the ductwork, or even a cover left off the furnace. You need to start at the furnace and follow the ductwork in both directions looking for problems. If you find a problem, it may or may not be a fairly simple fix. If you can't find a problem, better call a pro. First give us a chance to help you find something easy.

If you answer my questions, either some of the others or I may have a better idea what the problem is.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Gas Furnace Blows Cold Air [ 18 Answers ]

This actually just started a day ago and I am trying to figure out as much as I can before calling a service person (if necessary). My apologies in advance if I am leaving out important details but I've never dealt with a faulty heater or A/C before. My central heater in the attic was running...

Forced air furnace blows cold at first... [ 7 Answers ]

Hi all, I found this forum full of helpful answers, so I'm hoping will be able to get some ideas on what could be wrong with my heating system. Iam using forced air furnace, that was working fine last year blowing hot air. However, this fall soon after turning it on, cycle starts but blowing...

Cold Air Duct Return Blows Instead of Sucks [ 16 Answers ]

HI, I need your help. I have purchased a home that has a new Hi-Effency forced air furnace. The house has a 2 1/2 ft crawl space - no basement. The heating and return ducts are below under the floor boards of the house in the crawl space. The crawl space is insulated as are the ducts. My...

Gas furnace blows out cold air at night [ 3 Answers ]

Hi there. I have a problem that I haven't quite seen here and I have no idea how to search for it. Here's the deal: I have a gas furnace. I'm trying to save energy, so I got a new thermostat at the beginning of the fall. I set it to 68 when we're awake and in the house, and 60 after 10pm and...

Day & Night forced air heater keeps blowing cold air [ 1 Answers ]

Yesterday my heater was working as normal. Today I replaced the filter in my Day & Night forced air heater. Later I bumped my thermostat when walking by it, but I'm not certain that this caused the problem. My heater turned on and blew hot air. I turned it all the way down, but the fan...

View more questions Search