Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Joker Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 19, 2006, 06:53 PM
    Terrible sewage oder throughout house and outside
    Hello, I am new to this forum, and I've browsed a bit. Seems there are a lot of knowledgeable people here, which is a good thing, because I'm stumped!
    Well, where to begin. My house was built around 1915, and is on the side of a hill. There might be a crawlspace underneath the basement floor, but I would have to tear up the floor to find out. The problem I am having is with a sewage odor. When it happens, which is very often, it is throughout the whole house, and about 3/4 of those times, you can also smell it outside. I have municipal water and sewage at my home, and the borough won't do anything about it. I don't know what to do. There are no leaks inside the home, and the sewage drain line runs out under my front yard to the street, through the basement wall. What do I do?
    andrewcocke Posts: 439, Reputation: 22

Oct 20, 2006, 06:11 AM
    When I moved into my house 4 years ago I had the same problem.
    I identified it immediately as a improperly seated toilet wax ring.

Old houses like yours and mine have had their share of weekend warrier type people working on the plumbing, its been 4 years and Im still getting things straightend out. Anyway, here are some things to check on:

If its out in the yard as well, you may have a sewer line leak somewhere in the yard, or close to the house. Check (sniff) all of the drains in your house, also check around the base of the toilet for strong odor.

If you notice the smell strong by the base of the toilet, pull the toilet and inspect/replace the wax ring. If you pull up the toilet, have a new wax ring handy, you can not reuse the old one. They cost about $3-$5 at a local hardware store.

Check all drains, if there is odor coming from the drains, pour water in the drain. If the odor continues, check the trap itself, make sure it doesn't have a hole or something causing the water to drain out, make sure there is a trap on the line. I once helped a lady out in a house that is about your age, someone connected a bathtub up to the septic without bothering to even put a trap on the line.

Check the any basement drains, I once read the master plumber here, speedball1 say that if the water is evaporating on the regular basis, you can pour motor oil in the drain so it won't evaporate.

Less likley culprits will be things you may have to call a plumber for. Why just a week ago, I replaced my drain stack (main sewer line in the basement) from the toilet to the outside sewer connection, When I busted out the old cast iron, I discovered a hole that had been eaten through the bottom of a 2" galvalnized drain that ran along the basement floor. That was causing a lot of my odor in the basement.

Check those things out first. Also verify that your drain system is vented. (you should see a small pipe or two coming out of your roof).

PS: If your basement floor is concrete, Im pretty sure you don't have a crawl space under it, its probobly on a slab filled with dirt, if you do, its probobly something a groundhog or something dug out, and not a place where the average human would want to be. :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Sewer oder [ 12 Answers ]

I have not submitted a question here before but found such useful information I thought I'd give it a try. We have a new home that we moved into 2 months ago and have run up against a very puzzling problem. We have had a bad, intermittent sewage odor at the front of the house since prior to...

Oder coming from sump pump [ 5 Answers ]

I have a foul oder coming from my sump pump. I have had 2 plumbers in and they both say there is nothing wrong with my sump pump. The smell is awful and I don't know where to go or who to call at this point. They both agreed that the oder was coming from my pump but not sure why. Any...

Sewage smell under house near bathroom [ 3 Answers ]

My house has base floors, and there is a bad sewage smell reaking near one of our bathrooms. I checked for leaks even crawled under the house and nothing. Even checked the P-trap to make sure it was full. The smell comes and goes but is most common around hot weather. 2 plumbers have already...

Sewage Smell All Over the House [ 3 Answers ]

I have read all of the forums posted on this subject, but none seem to relate to my exact problem. My dad and I built this house in 2002. The plumber we hired was very good. My plumbing is all in the concrete slab. However, I am getting a sewage smell throughout the house with no obvious...

Sewage Odor Throughout House [ 14 Answers ]

Hello, I found this site by accident and am hopeful someone can give me advice. We are experiencing a sewage type odor throughout the house whenever water is turned on. I believe it happens when it is traveling through the pipes, hopefully not under my home. It ONLY happens when water is used....

View more questions Search