Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jjustinia Posts: 136, Reputation: 1

Jul 28, 2009, 10:05 PM

Thanks for all the advice!! Does everybody think that 1/4 turn stops are OK vs the typical full turn stops? They seem better, similar to ball valve type shut off with no washer to wear out. Is this a correct assumption?
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jul 28, 2009, 10:19 PM

Yes, 1/4 turn is better.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jul 29, 2009, 04:13 AM
    Hi Jlisenbe:

Yes... I've been taught or should I say learned the HARD WAY to never overtighten compression fittings. Here, when I was a kid I overtightened the compression nuts and one of the compression valves blew clean off as I had driven the valve right through the nut! So, yeah... hand tight plus full turn maximum.

Jjustinia, as KISS stated, yes the 1/4 turn stops are just fine and seem to be less likely to break down in the future!

MARK
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 29, 2009, 05:21 AM
    I can 't believe it's taken 23 posts to solder on a angle stop.
    jjustinia Posts: 136, Reputation: 1

Jul 29, 2009, 07:24 AM

Well, we are no longer soldering anymore. Compression fitting is it now. Thanks for all the discussion. Some I knew some I didn't, but know I feel completely in the know about the choice I made. Thanks

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Angle stop with PEX [ 8 Answers ]

I would like the easiest route from a standard angle stop to a copper pipe (then to PEX). This is for a toilet supply. I would like to use a standard angle stop and screw it to a copper pipe, and use Shark Bite or Watts quick-connect to connect it to the PEX. I want to avoid using another...

Angle stop leaking [ 3 Answers ]

I recently installed new "fill valve & flapper" to my toilet. Basically all of the insides of the toilet. It was leaking at the bottom of the toilet so I added a washer wich fixed that leak, but now it leaks at the angle stop. I bought some teflon tape to use to try to use at the connection of...

Installing angle-stop [ 3 Answers ]

I need to replace my angle-stops for my kitchen sink. Never done it before. It seems easy, but I want to make sure before I do it, that I'm doing it correctly. Appreciate it, in advance.

Angle stop valve [ 3 Answers ]

Do you have any idea on how to install a stop valve under a bathroom sink? Thanks R. Koehn

Angle stop [ 3 Answers ]

What is a standard 1/2" compression angle stop? I am installing a sink faucet supply line

View more questions Search