Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kadd0007 Posts: 68, Reputation: 5

Oct 18, 2006, 12:28 PM
    How do you trust again.
    Hey guys just a quick one?

As some of you may know my last relationship ended it in disaster lol, but aside from that, how do you trust the new person you are with when you are so scared that the past will repeat itself.

I mean I met this awsome person but I can't seem to trust her or believe a word she says and I know that because of my last relationship. And I know that evetually I have to trust her otherwise it will never work I need TRUST in my relationships.

Any advice??
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Oct 18, 2006, 12:49 PM
    Maybe you are not as ready as you think for this relationship. If you still have issues then maybe you should back up and put a little more time in your healing process. Or your instincts are giving you a warning you don't want to hear. Either way you need to give yourself more time.
    Wildcat21 Posts: 3,582, Reputation: 435
    Ultra Member

Oct 18, 2006, 01:12 PM
    TAKE IT SLOW!! Don't put too much importance into it early on.

Because of the past you really need to take it slow - and there absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Ask a lot of questions. Spend time together.

But, yes - it also could be gut instancts about this particular person.

Questions for you:

Has she given you ANY reason to doubt her?

Has she been aloof or unavailable at times?

What actions has she done to doubt you?

What makes you feel this way?

Don't put pressure on her and rush things. Slow is the way to go. Always.
    momincali Posts: 641, Reputation: 242

Oct 18, 2006, 01:18 PM
    One thing is to trust, the other is to put all your eggs in one basket. Trust with what? That she won't hurt you, won't lie, won't cheat?? No one can know for sure what will happen. It happens to people who have been married for 25 years... we just have no guarantees.

So what's the alternative? Living a life without that significant other because they just might cheat or lie? Is that living?

Have your eyes, ears and brain open. Don't ignore that sign because things were going great, or she's the one you want to be "the one". Be responsible enough to listen to your common sense and not always your heart. Be trustworthy yourself and you may earn her trust as well.
    Ultra Member

Oct 18, 2006, 01:22 PM
    Yes - have other things in life - she will never be your life. Be busy - go out with her when you can. Don't contact her every day. Hang with friends.

Work o nyour self - make sure you workout - lift weights or long runs.
    Wonder1984 Posts: 74, Reputation: 2

Oct 18, 2006, 05:05 PM
    Yes definatley take it slow...
    And also tell her about your problems... makes it easyer for her to understand you and if problems occur in the future she won't have to wonder what is wrong...

But lay it out softly and not too much just letr her know how you feel...

And again move slow
    Skell Posts: 1,863, Reputation: 514
    Ultra Member

Oct 18, 2006, 06:08 PM
    I think if you can't trust someone then you aren't ready to start again. So I would advice against getting too involved.
    Keep it very casual and fun. Very very SLOW.
    That may help you regain some trust.
    But honestly, not having trust for anyone just means you need a little more time to recover. And there is nothing wrong with that!

Oct 19, 2006, 06:46 AM
    yeah I think I am just not fully ready yet so I'll take everyone's advice and take it slow =)

Thanks guys I'll be cautious and check for signs I just don't want to go through that pain again...
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Oct 19, 2006, 08:00 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by kadd0007

As some of you may know my last relationship ended it in disaster lol, but aside from that, how do you trust the new person you are with when you are so scared that the past will repeat itself.

i mean i met this awsome person but i can't seem to trust her or beleive a word she says and i know that because of my last relationship. and i know that evetually i have to trust her otherwise it will never work i need TRUST in my relationships.

Any advice????
    Yes, here is a piece of advice.. Quit waiting for the shoe to drop. Nothing worse than forcing a relationship. If you are constantly wanting to verify everything this woman does, just how right is she for you - or maybe the better question is just how right are you for her? I know full well how hard it is to trust someone. Have you tried being a friend first to this person? Or did you zero into right away? Just be patient - with yourself above all else and it will develop. Good luck.
    anastasia2002 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 19, 2006, 09:15 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by kadd0007

i mean i met this awsome person but i can't seem to trust her or beleive a word she says and i know that because of my last relationship. and i know that evetually i have to trust her otherwise it will never work i need TRUST in my relationships.

Any advice????
    I am in the same relationship were me and my boyfriend are about to end our relationship because I don't trust him
    Ultra Member

Oct 19, 2006, 09:37 AM
    Without trust you have nothing. It's not worth it.

kadd0007: I think your starting to build barriers/walls - which are good. Don't rush things - don't dive in immediately. People should really earn the right tobe with you.

shygrneyzs makes some really gret points! I really like what was posted there.

Oct 19, 2006, 10:09 AM
    Trust me Wildcat I have huge walls up now, and I will make sure they only come down when the time is right...

My last relationship was a learning experince I will never forget!!
    Ultra Member

Oct 19, 2006, 10:59 AM
    Good. That's why you date a lot.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Oct 19, 2006, 05:58 PM
    Have you learned anything from your past? Were there mistakes you made that you can now see? Does your new interest give you any reason not to trust or believe her? Paranoia notwithstanding, has she said or done things that just don't add up? If you get a strong gut reaction it's generally good to go along with it. However, if you're just making assumptions that she's being dishonest with you, then that's not good and something you have to work on. Probably the best advice is to give the benefit of the doubt as long as there is no doubt. It has to be concrete doubt, substantiated by actual events, not just fear on your part.
    scheris Posts: 10, Reputation: 2

Oct 24, 2006, 03:34 AM
    It's understandable that you can't trust anyone right now because of you've been hurt badly from your previous relationships. I think there are two things that you need to look at before proceeding.

1. Are you really ready for a relationship right now, emotionally, mentally and physically? Maybe your hesitation with this new person is caused by your own turmoil about relationships.

2. You keep having mistrust for every person you want to start relationships with, it's a guarantee that relationship will not last. One of the most important things (HUGE) in a relationship is trust and if it you don't have it or can't give it then that relationship has no future.

Trust is one of the foundations of a strong and lasting relationship, without it you can't build a real relationship.

Oct 24, 2006, 04:44 AM
    all good points and I for sure have to work on them, I just don't want to pass up something good due to my insicuritys!!

But I am taking it slow and so far so good =)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Should I trust him? [ 26 Answers ]

I have a hard time trusting people in general but I'm dating my ex again after 3 years of not talking we broke up the 1st time 3 years ago because he cheated on me and I don't take that crap but I took him back a 2nd time and the same thing happened and now I'm dating him again 3 years later for...

How Can I Get Him To Trust Me Again? [ 2 Answers ]

Recently my boyfriend and I got into a huge fight. I have always had problems trusting the guys that I am with. I don't know why, but I always think that I can't trust them. Anyway... we got into a big fight one night and I had always told him that I trusted him. I have always trusted him. The...

How do I trust again [ 7 Answers ]

Hi ;) I am in a lot of confusion. I don't know what to do with my situation if my insecurities have really gotten the worst of me. I have been in a 4 year relationship I have thought of him as my soulmate the love of my life we have a beautiful little girl together. Well recently in April of 2004...

How Do I Get Him To Trust Me Again [ 3 Answers ]

:-[ I am a recently divorced mother. I met the man of my dreams during my separation about a year ago. I have never been out with anyone else, nor been unfaithful in this relationship. This June I quit my job Because of a lot of reasons at that time. I worked at a school and had an income...

Can I trust myself? [ 1 Answers ]

I think I'm beginning to fall for a friend of mine. I don't want to make any moves unless I'm sure because we're in a wonderful group and I'd hate to ruin the dynamic. I can tell that we've begun to feel each other out for the change in our relationship, but I'm not sure what message I should...

View more questions Search