Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    DJGreg Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jul 21, 2009, 01:48 AM
    Refrig not cooling
    Hello. I have a Maytag refrig, model MSD2957AEW, and it is not running properly. I went through the manual troubleshooting section and could not find anything to help. I also read through several posts but did not find what I was looking for.

Is there anyone out there that can suggest a few things for me to look for before I have to call a repair man. If I can fix it myself, it would be much better.

Here's my situation. The refrigeration and freezer both stopped cooling. I noticed it before I went to work in the morning and by midnight we had to start throwing things out. There is power so it's not a breaker or anything.

Any suggestions on what I can try to look for? I appreciate all feedback.

Thank you!
    Greg
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jul 21, 2009, 03:55 AM
    It could be the cold control or a bad defrost timer. NOW I will also say there are many other items that it could be and you will need a meter and other tools to test each item.

Jul 21, 2009, 05:31 PM
    It's not the cooling controls if you mean the levers where we adjust the coolness of the refrigerator and the freezer. We have them both maxed out and still nothing.

If it is the bad defrost timer, would it kill the entire fridge?

Jul 22, 2009, 01:57 AM
    If the light still works in the refrigerator then power is being applied to the unit.

It's not the cooling controls if you mean the levers where we adjust the coolness of the refrigerator and the freezer. We have them both maxed out and still nothing.

If the main cooling control/thermostat is defective I do not care how much you turn it up the unit will not run because the control is BAD and not allowing the signal to pass through to start the refrigeration system for the refrigerator.

A bad defrost timer/control board can stop the refrigerator from working IF it is stuck in the defrost mode OR the contacts are bad for the normal refrigeration operating circuit.

Sorry but there is NO magic bullet for this type of a problem. You have to use a electric meter to track down the offending circuit then take the corrective action be it replacing the defective part or correct the problem wiring.

Here is a pic of the wiring diagram for your unit

Jul 22, 2009, 01:58 AM
    All parts and pictures here.

Part Advantage :: Category Search

Jul 22, 2009, 06:11 PM
    HVAC, you rock! Thank you for the tips. I'm going to start checking it out today. I have a meter and will see if I can find anything. And thank you for the diagrams!! That was very kind and helpful of you!!

Greg
    MarkwithaK Posts: 955, Reputation: 107

Jul 22, 2009, 06:16 PM

Apart from the stat or timer check the start components themselves (relay, capacitor and overload), if everything else is fine and you are comfortable with electricity then check the compressor's motor windings.

Jul 22, 2009, 08:36 PM

OK, so the capacitor to the compressor is not holding a charge and the compressor is not working at all right now. I am going to replace the capacitor to see if it will get the compressor going. If not, I'm getting a new fridge. This one is at least 9 years old although in great condition. We'll see tomorrow. Thank you all so far for your help and ideas!!
    stuartn Posts: 85, Reputation: 2

Jul 22, 2009, 09:57 PM

You should check the Maytag repair site. Your fridge may qualify for the Maytag recall. Your model number starts with MS which is a qualifying model number. You need to check your serial number against the qualifying numbers. If both numbers are on the list then call Maytag and you will get the relay and capacitor replaced for free.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Maytag Refrig not cooling [ 1 Answers ]

My Maytag Refrigerator is not cooling. I hear the fan but the temperature is staying the same.

Refrig. Not cooling [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 5 year old refrig/freezer that is not staying cold. The refrig. Is at 50 degrees. Ice cream soft in freezer. Fan is working when I open the door and push the button in. Frost is on the back of the freezer. What do you think is going on?

Mobile home cooling unit not cooling [ 1 Answers ]

We recently purchased a couple of mobile homes for rental properties. When we hade them inspected they said everything was in working order. When we moved in a tenet the first thing they complained about was that the a/c was not cooling during the day, but at night it was fine. We sent out a...

View more questions Search