Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Athos Posts: 1,108, Reputation: 55
    Ultra Member

Jul 20, 2009, 09:34 PM
    Talking In Tongues
    Has anyone here experienced talking in tongues? (Not those who have heard about it, but those who have experienced it).

What was it like? Did someone have to explain what you were saying? Or did you have to explain it afterwards? How did you feel during the experience?

What was the message?

Serious replies only, please.
    mudweiser Posts: 2,750, Reputation: 707
    Ultra Member

Jul 20, 2009, 10:00 PM

I never personally experienced it. I have been around someone that has.

I was in a Evangelical church, and well this lady started speaking in tongues-- what is odd is that she was speaking in French when all she knew in French was "Bonjour". Anyway what she said was "Be weary of the path you walk in; only darkness and sorrow will be ahead". I personally found it creepy- I was the only one there able to understand her.. ha- maybe she was talking about my now ex, it was an ugly time in my life!

I've also heard of other people being able to speak other languages that they do not speak themselves- perhaps a message to someone in that room?

Who knows.

I do however remember this baptist church that had classes on how to speak tongues and well I find that bull honkey- I thought it was something the holy spirit gave you not something you can teach like German.

I also have a feeling that some people "fake it"- who knows why? To look like a good Christian, to get attention.. meh. I also recall the bible saying that "mocking" or "doubting" the holy spirit is an unforgivable sin so I just let them be and zip my lip. Hey call me superstitious...

I'm not a Christian, nor am I religious. I've been exposed to many religions in the past, I'm curious and love to learn. If anything I remain Agnostic.

Sarah
    0EntitY Posts: 61, Reputation: 5

Jul 20, 2009, 10:51 PM

Yes I have. I was waking up one morning next to my girlfriend. She kept asked me a question and I answered her and she kept asking What? And I would answer her and again, What? I started getting upset from having to answer this question over many times. I finally turned over and looked at her and she had tears from laughing so hard. I thought she went temporarily insane. She saw my look of concern and explained that I was speaking to her in a language she never heard before and that she had even studied different languages in college. She called it tongues, but I knew better. I was speaking a language from one of my long forgotten past lives. I knew what I was saying when speaking to her, but lost it when I was fully awake and could not remember a word of it...
    adam7gur Posts: 372, Reputation: 38

Jul 20, 2009, 11:24 PM

I do speak in tongues and when this started I knew that the Holy Spirit came inside me just like Pentecost.Don't get me wrong , I am no Pentecostal.
    When I pray in tongues it is like I surrender my mouth and tongue to the Holy Spirit and the Spirit starts to speak in languages I do know or I don't know,mostly languages I do not know.
    It is good when someone can explain but many times there is no such privillege, you just keep on praying in tongues and at the same time you pray with your mind also.It is like there are two persons praying at the same time,the Spirit using your mouth and yourself using your mind.
    Deuteronomy 19:15... at the mouth of two witnesses, or at the mouth of three witnesses, shall the matter be established.
    Some have both gifts,speaking in tongues and translating.
    It is not always a message that comes up but most of the times it is like the Spirit is praying with you Matthew 18:20 For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them.

1 Corinthians 12:8 For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit;
    9 To another faith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit;

10 To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues:

11 But all these worketh that one and the selfsame Spirit, dividing to every man severally as he will.

12 For as the body is one, and hath many members, and all the members of that one body, being many, are one body: so also is Christ.

One of the latest messages that I have is that this is the sixth hour!
    Ultra Member

Jul 21, 2009, 01:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by adam7gur View Post
    I do speak in tongues and when this started I knew that the Holy Spirit came inside me just like Pentecost.Don't get me wrong , I am no Pentecostal.
    When I pray in tongues it is like I surrender my mouth and tongue to the Holy Spirit and the Spirit starts to speak in languages I do know or I don't know,mostly languages I do not know.
    It is good when someone can explain but many times there is no such privillege, you just keep on praying in tongues and at the same time you pray with your mind also.It is like there are two persons praying at the same time,the Spirit using your mouth and yourself using your mind.
    Deuteronomy 19:15...at the mouth of two witnesses, or at the mouth of three witnesses, shall the matter be established.
    Some have both gifts,speaking in tongues and translating.
    It is not always a message that comes up but most of the times it is like the Spirit is praying with you Matthew 18:20 For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them.

1 Corinthians 12:8 For to one is given by the Spirit the word of wisdom; to another the word of knowledge by the same Spirit;
    9 To another faith by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of healing by the same Spirit;

10 To another the working of miracles; to another prophecy; to another discerning of spirits; to another divers kinds of tongues; to another the interpretation of tongues:

11 But all these worketh that one and the selfsame Spirit, dividing to every man severally as he will.

12 For as the body is one, and hath many members, and all the members of that one body, being many, are one body: so also is Christ.

One of the latest messages that I have is that this is the sixth hour!
    Thanks for answering. I thought that 'speaking in tongues" had to be translated by someone for it to be true. What do you mean by the "sixth hour"?

Jul 21, 2009, 02:05 AM

Mark 15:33 And when the sixth hour was come, there was darkness over the whole land until the ninth hour.
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Jul 21, 2009, 02:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Athos View Post
    Thanks for answering. I thought that 'speaking in tongues" had to be translated by someone for it to be true. What do you mean by the "sixth hour"?
    What you are saying here is the 'interpretation of tongues' which is completely different.

For your question, I have too, and the first time was when I got baptised by the Holy Spirit. My mouth was just saying words that I myself couldn't understand and I wasn't 'controlling' it. It just happened.

I know someone, who prophesies. He talks in tongues first (most if not all people don't understand that) but he then interprets it as a prophecy. For example, he may refer to a particular person whom he has never met, never talked, but know his/her name and advise him/her on certain points, where he/she has problems in life.
    450donn Posts: 1,821, Reputation: 239
    Ultra Member

Jul 21, 2009, 06:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Unknown008 View Post
    What you are saying here is the 'interpretation of tongues' which is completely different.

For your question, I have too, and the first time was when I got baptised by the Holy Spirit. My mouth was just saying words that I myself couldn't understand and I wasn't 'controlling' it. It just happened.

I know someone, who prophesies. He talks in tongues first (most if not all people don't understand that) but he then interprets it as a prophecy. For example, he may refer to a particular person whom he has never met, never talked, but know his/her name and advise him/her on certain points, where he/she has problems in life.

Let me try and explain this to you in layman's terms, something that is more easily understood.
    Lets say you were traveling to Spain for holidays. Now, Spanish is not your native language, but you know enough to get a hotel room and order dinner. So here you are trying to order dinner and the waitress turns to you in perfect English and says, why not order in English. I understand well.
    Same thing for speaking in Tongues. It is a way for your spirit to speak directly to God without someone having to interpret for him. Not that God needs some to translate for him LOL, but it is far easier when two can communicate directly to each other.
    Tongues is for the edification and direct communication with God the Father. Now, when you talk about giving a word of prophesy that is a totally different subject.
    Words are given in the body for many reasons. But they are not valid as a word from God UNLESS the word is interpenetrated for the bodies edification and understanding.
    Two completely different subjects.
    classyT Posts: 1,562, Reputation: 214
    Ultra Member

Jul 21, 2009, 07:29 AM
    Has anyone here experienced talking in tongues? (Not those who have heard about it, but those who have experienced it).

What was it like? Did someone have to explain what you were saying? Or did you have to explain it afterwards? How did you feel during the experience?

What was the message?

Serious replies only, please.
    I have spoken in a prayer language which is a different tongue. It doesn't feel like anything except praying to the Lord. Sometimes it can be emotional and I can cry but it is nothing more than a prayer or speaking directly to the Lord. When you use a prayer language you don't really know what you are saying the Holy Spirit takes over for you.
    Ultra Member

Jul 21, 2009, 07:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by adam7gur View Post
    Mark 15:33 And when the sixth hour was come, there was darkness over the whole land until the ninth hour.
    What do you think the meaning of that message is? And is your understanding that you are to pass on that meaning to the world? If so, have you done so before this?
    Ultra Member

Jul 21, 2009, 07:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by 0EntitY View Post
    Yes I have. I was waking up one morning next to my girlfriend. She kept asked me a question and I answered her and she kept asking What? and I would answer her and again, What? I started getting upset from having to answer this question over many times. I finally turned over and looked at her and she had tears from laughing so hard. I thought she went temporarily insane. She saw my look of concern and explained that I was speaking to her in a language she never heard before and that she had even studied different languages in college. She called it tongues, but I knew better. I was speaking a language from one of my long forgotten past lives. I knew what I was saying when speaking to her, but lost it when I was fully awake and could not remember a word of it...
    Which past life? Is this Biblical or extra-Biblical? (I am unfamiliar with speaking in tongues being related to past lives).

Jul 21, 2009, 07:40 PM

It was just my opinion of what happened and the opinion of my girlfriend who witnessed it. She was the one who called it speaking in tongues and not I...
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jul 21, 2009, 08:21 PM
    Which past life? Is this Biblical or extra-Biblical? (I am unfamiliar with speaking in tongues being related to past lives).
    Past lives is reincarnation which the Bible says it is appointed ONCE for a man to die and then the judgment.
    Uber Member

Jul 21, 2009, 08:24 PM

I used to speak in tongues and when you get caught up in it like you really get going it is like a peaceful feeling you can't describe that makes you feel free from burdens and you don't want to stop.

Jul 21, 2009, 09:12 PM

Past lives is reincarnation which the pulpit says... and not necessarily what is written in the Bible. These can and usually are two separate realities in my opinion. Gosh, how many Theologians agree with each other on certain Biblical literature? Not many. I have to go by how I interrupt what is written, otherwise I would probably miss the truth I seek...

Jul 21, 2009, 10:44 PM
    What do you think the meaning of that message is? And is your understanding that you are to pass on that meaning to the world? If so, have you done so before this?
    I cannot be sure what exactly this means , so I cannot pass it to others like a direct message from God.
    But I believe that we are getting closer to the end.The sixth hour was the hour that Jesus was on the cross and darkness covered the whole land,three hours before our Lord died.
    Our world will be covered in darkness a little bit before the end and this time is now.
    I don't think that it is just me saying this, but there are so many voices saying the same thing in different ways.
    arcura Posts: 3,773, Reputation: 191
    Ultra Member

Jul 21, 2009, 11:30 PM
    I have heard people speaking in tongues and to me it is just gobbledegook.
    There was no one there who understood what was said (if anything really was said).
    As a result I did not believe they were actually speaking in tongues.
    I also know a person who speaks in a language that no one understands but he claims that when he does speak it he is being a comedian and indeed even though no one understand what he says he IS very funny.
    He gets people laughing so much they have tears in their eyes.
    The man is also a successful lawyer.
    So life goes...
    Fred
    Triund Posts: 271, Reputation: 24

Jul 22, 2009, 03:53 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by 0EntitY View Post
    Past lives is reincarnation which the pulpit says...and not necessarily what is written in the Bible. These can and usually are two separate realities in my opinion. Gosh, how many Theologians agree with each other on certain Biblical literature? Not many. I have to go by how I interrupt what is written, otherwise I would probably miss the truth I seek...
    Interesting. I had never heard before your posting that the Bible also talks about reincarnation. I am eager to see those verses in the Bible.

Theory of reincarnation is for Hindus where they believe that whatever you do, you come back into a human form after being born in 860 millions other forms of different animals. Woww... they know there are 860 millions living forms on this earth. Has science counted so many animals both mutlicellular and unicellular?
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jul 22, 2009, 04:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Triund View Post
    Woww... they know there are 860 millions living forms on this earth. Has science counted so many animals both mutlicellular and unicellular?
    That same argument can be applied to the Noah's Ark story. I don't think we should make light of someone else's faith.
    Uber Member

Jul 22, 2009, 04:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by arcura View Post
    I have heard people speaking in tongues and to me it is just gobbledegook.
    There was no one there who understood what was said (if anything really was said).
    As a result I did not believe they were actually speaking in tongues.
    I also know a person who speaks in a language that no one understands but he claims that when he does speak it he is being a comedian and indeed even though no one understand what he says he IS very funny.
    He gets people laughing so much they have tears in their eyes.
    The man is also a successful lawyer.
    So life goes......
    Fred
    The Bible shows that tongues can either be a heavenly language, a foreign language or of the devil.
    Basically your friend is *using tongues* to get attention and it *may* borderline mockery.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Speaking in tongues? [ 15 Answers ]

I'm just new to this topic and I actually believe that I know how to speak in tongues in the personal sense but not in a corpral way. I asked a friend of mind about how you can tell the difference and what the purposes are, she said that one is for personal and another is for someone else. Although...

I like a girl who I've been talking to her and she's talking to her ex a lot [ 7 Answers ]

I have been talking to the girl down my block and we have been talking a lot and I like her I visited her school today because a lot of my friends go there and they all saw her talking to him a lot throughout the day and I asked her about it and she said "we're not together right now haha" is this...

Black spot on tongues [ 3 Answers ]

Why do people have black spots on their tongues

Who originally spoke in tongues? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a Bible that was printed in 1880. It is so different from anything that I have read, heard, seen, etc. It has created a lot of questions. Thanks.

View more questions Search