Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    davidaltstatt Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 15, 2009, 10:25 PM
    Garden hose problems
    I just bought a house that came with a fitting on the outside garden hose bib and I believe it was put there to conserve water. It had a piece sticking out of the middle of it and if you press in that piece with enough force, it opens this fitting up for water to flow through. Well, I tried 3 different hoses on the two different outlet bib locations and each one built up pressure and popped, with a single hole in the middle of each hose that got bigger each time I tried to use it. So, I took this "water conserver" piece off the spigot. Then I put a hose on and now I can actually use my hose, but when I put a spray nozzle on the end of my hose, it causes too much pressure to build up at the bib and water will vilently shoot out of the fitting connected to the bib on my hose. I replaced the fitting on one hose after the hose blew off at the bib and now the replacement fitting that seems really strong seems like it is about to blow off the bib as well. I'm thinking that I have too much pressure coming out of the bib flowing through my garden hose. Something happens when it is not allowed to flow continuously. At old homes that I've had in the past, I could put on the spray nozzle and it would just hold the water in the hose, seemingly blocking off the outlet bib once the water went through the outlet bib and filled the hose. So it seemingly would not allow any more water to flow through the hose once the hose was full. It's almost like water just keeps coming through the bib at this house regardless of whether the garden hose is full. Maybe a pressure regulator would help, but I don't think that I should have to go to that extreme for a mere garden hose. What should I do to keep the hose from leaking or from getting damaged?
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jul 16, 2009, 04:23 AM
    Hi David...

By your description I think you are describing a vacuum breaker.. see image

Google Image Result for http://www.ashireporter.org/photos/thumbnails/2006_08/Watts-Hose-Vac-B.gif

You can also click on the above link to learn about why that vacuum breaker should be reinstalled. A vacuum breaker prevents backflow of contaminants (dirty water, pesticides, other chemicals, etc.) from entering the hose and potentially entering the drinking water in your house... ;)

First thing you need to do here is to test the pressure coming out of the hose bib. A simple hose bib pressure gauge (see image) is sold at all home supply stores and can be connected easily so you can determine pressure.

If pressure exceeds 80 P.S.I then you will need to install a pressure regulating valve either to the entire home or you could also just install a pressure regulator on the water supply to this hose bib. Any pressure beyond 60-80 P.S.I. can lead to other plumbing issues down the road so if you have excessive pressure do consider installing a pressure regulator to the cold water supply to the house.

You can install a SHARKBITE type of pressure regulator (see image) that doesn't require any soldering skills... a simple PUSH FIT design that only requires a copper tubing cutter and basic mechanical skills to install.

Lastly, check the condition of the hoses... if old... may be time to replace... ;)

Let us know what you think...

MARK
    Attached Images

davidaltstatt Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 16, 2009, 09:33 PM
    55 psi is coming out of bib. I now think it is because when I took the backflow device off, I stripped the threads on the bib. I think that if I replace the bib, this problem will go away. I stripped both bibs' threads, so I would have the same problem with both outlets. Do you agree that this should solve the problem?
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jul 17, 2009, 04:16 AM
    55 P.S.I. certainly isn't the issue.

The vacuum breaker has a break off screw (see above image again) that, well, breaks off at a particular torque so the vacuum breaker can't be taken off... without extreme EFFORT anyway... ;) That explains the stripped threads.

Replace the bib and install a new vacuum breaker and I think you will be all set here!

MARK

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Garden hose [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I have a Pfister kitchen faucet which has the spray hose built in, I would like to hook up a garden hose so I can spray my patio, I have no water connection on the outside, my question is can I even hook a hose to this and if so what kind of connector or adapter would I need? Thanks

1" pvc adapter to 5/garden hose [ 1 Answers ]

The pump is 1" a male 1" pvc adapter screws into the pump okay. But The other end of the adapter needs a male 5/8 threaded part to screw into a garden hose . What would you call that type of fitting??

Garden Hose Left Hooked Up Outside in Winter [ 1 Answers ]

As a first time homeowner(having bought our house in the summer) I was unaware the you're supposed to unscrew the garden hose from the outside faucet. My question is, what now? My basement is finished with wood panel ceilings and sheet rock/drywall walls and carpet. I haven't turned on the water...

Water pressure too high for garden hose? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I don't know what the water pressure is at my house, but I do know that it is very high/ strong. We live near the water plant- I assume that has a lot to do with it? We've been through several garden hoses in the last couple years. We've bought regular hoses and the last one we bought was...

View more questions Search