Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ByeBye Posts: 34, Reputation: 8

Jul 13, 2009, 07:31 AM
    Lost and confused
    I love this guy and the feelings are not mutual. We did have a relationship for a while, but he said he didn't feel the same and things ended, but he wanted to be friends. The only contact we have had since is that I sms and ask him how he is about once a month or so, and he does reply. It's been a long while since we ended this, so I have recently asked him twice(sms,email) if he wanted to meet up and he didn't reply. I think about him 99% of the time and I miss all the time. I really love him and my feelings for him are growing stronger even though we haven't seen each in a long time. I don't know how I can move on because my feelings for him are so strong? I also don't know how to have a friendship with him, because everything I try it doesn't work out? I want to have him in my life even if it is as friends, but does he want this? I think if I have him even as a friend, I would be happy. Should I just ask him straight out if he wants to be friends? I feel he is really worth it, because I know that he is a good person.
    kctiger Posts: 3,653, Reputation: 1319
    Ultra Member

Jul 13, 2009, 07:32 AM

No, you shouldn't be friends, no you shouldn't ask him anything, and NO you should not contact him again!

You have done NOTHING to get over this, as you have done NOTHING but continually think about his feelings and what you can do to change them. Work on your feelings, starting with going no contact and making yourself happy. His actions have done more than enough to make it clear he wants nothing to do with you.

Jul 13, 2009, 07:38 AM
    It's not like I haven't tried to forget him. I have tried a billion times, but it is not easy.
    Ultra Member

Jul 13, 2009, 07:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ByeBye View Post
    It's not like i haven't tried to forget him. I have tried a billion times, but it is not easy.
    Try harder. No one said it is easy. Build a life you enjoy without him in it. Be selfish!
    I wish Posts: 5,296, Reputation: 2030
    Family & People Expert

Jul 13, 2009, 07:40 AM

You might still have feelings for him and you've even made attempts to contact him. The fact that he's not responding sends a very strong message.

He doesn't want to talk to you and is moving on with his life. If he chose to respond, it will give you false hope and lead you on, which would be worse for you.

It's time to stop holding onto the past and start moving on with your life.

You might still think about him, but it doesn't mean he feels the same way. You can't force someone to feel a certain way. It definitely is easier said that done, you're going to have to keep trying to bury your feelings by keeping yourself busy and doing other things.

Just a side note, every time you try to contact him, you reset all the progress that you've made in the recovery process. Start by stoping any attemps at contacting him. If you have to, block him from IMs, email, social networks, etc.

Jul 13, 2009, 07:45 AM

I gave my whole heart and soul to him and I just feel like my soul will never recover. I have had other relationships, but I just can't get over this one. I really fought for him.
    jmooney527 Posts: 200, Reputation: 83

Jul 13, 2009, 07:50 AM
    It doesn't matter how much you like him... he doesn't like YOU. He's not going to magically turn around and say he has these strong feelings for you. He tried dating you, and he wasn't feeling it after a while. Move on.

Obsessing over this isn't going to get him to like you.

When is the last time you had contact with him? You aren't going to start healing until you keep yourself occupied, start doing things you enjoy, and work on YOUR life. He has given you clear signals that he doesn't like you... other than abducting him you are not going to be able to be with him!

My point is, you cannot change his feelings (or lack there of) for you. You can only change yourself and your own life. Your happiness should not revolve completely on another person, especially one who doesn't feel the same way about you.

Jul 13, 2009, 08:01 AM

Thanks for the advise, I will definitely try and follow it! I feel much better after writing what I felt down. I just need to keep thinking he doesn't deserve and I deserve much better.
    roxypox Posts: 1,028, Reputation: 328
    Ultra Member

Jul 13, 2009, 08:15 AM

To experience rejection from someone you want to be with and love is hard! And with enough time you can get over him and leave him in the past!

And yes, you do deserve better! You deserve someone who responds to your emotions and who are as into you as you are into him.

To help yourself heal, you should delete his number and his email address. Him not answering really does say it all, and although that is painful to you. It also holds a significant message in itself. You can't be friends.

This might also be a good thing for you in the long run! Because what you need to do now is to be selfish and think about you and what will make you happy! Keep living your life, hang out with friends, enjoy life and all it has to offer!
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jul 13, 2009, 08:59 AM

I don't know how I can move on because my feelings for him are so strong?
    That's because your holding out hope he gets with you, and you keep contacting him. Your feelings will fade, and you will cope better with the reality that he doesn't want a relationship, and you MUST stop chasing him.
    I also don't know how to have a friendship with him, because everything I try it doesn't work out?
    Your not trying for a friendship, that's an excuse you use to keep chasing him once a month.
    ]I want to have him in my life even if it is as friends, but does he want this?
    He answers your texts and is being friendly, but that's not enough, you want more and he just ain't giving it to you.
    I think if I have him even as a friend, I would be happy. Should I just ask him straight out if he wants to be friends? I feel he is really worth it, because I know that he is a good person.
    No, if you weren't caught up, he is being a friend. Its you that isn't accepting his friendship, because you can't. You want more than friendship.

Stop this charade and be honest with yourself, so you can leave him alone, and get over your unrealistic quest to have him as a boyfriend, and heal, until you can see reality. You won't ever be his friend until then, and maybe never, till you get over him.
    CanIBuyAClue Posts: 144, Reputation: 39

Jul 13, 2009, 07:46 PM

I would have to agree with what the others say. I would not contact him at all. What I did with my current ex's phone number in my phone was rename her to "Rosie O'Donnell" (as a suggestion from someone here I believe lol). Perhaps you could change him to some equally unattractive male celebrity :D
    Torrid13 Posts: 637, Reputation: 149

Jul 13, 2009, 08:24 PM

Oof. If you don't walk away from this guy, "being friends" with him is going to EAT YOU ALIVE.

You'll always want more. You'll always be thinking, "Hey maybe if I act this way or dress this way when we hang out, he'll start to like me!" or something that will ultimately disappoint you. And then when you realize he's not any more interested in you than at the beginning of the day, you'll go home and cry and ask yourself why you're not good enough. Don't do that to yourself, okay? Trust me. I've been. And I am NOT a pretty cryer. o_o

But seriously. Just say no.

Jul 13, 2009, 11:43 PM

Thanks all of u.u have given me a lot of stuf to think about.I have another problem.I might see him as we both have been invited to attend a common friend birthday supper.how should I act when I see him?should I ignore him or what?
    Expert

Jul 14, 2009, 05:18 AM

I have always been polite but unavailable for and deep conversations about the past. Hi and bye is enough. No need to be rude or angry, just avoid being sucked into a talk with them.

Aug 22, 2009, 02:34 AM
    Is there hope?
    Threads merged

Hi,I find myself confused.last week a friend and I went out for supper.this friend happens to be the best best friend of my ex.me and her recently became friends and when we are together we do not speak about him.during the meal,out of the blue,she tells me that my ex still speaks about me to her and even has my picture in his flat,but I changed the subject because I didn't know what to say or ask.I know she wouldn't lie.I still care deeply about him,even though it has been a year since we brokeup and within the past two months,I have called him and sms him to try and get a friendship with him.my question is there hope we could get back together and if so how do I approach this situation?should I just be direct with this friend and ask her if he likes me?I just don't know what to do.please help me.
    amicon Posts: 6,066, Reputation: 1911
    Uber Member

Aug 22, 2009, 07:46 AM

The only person you could ask is your ex and he might or might not want to discuss this.you won't know till you ask him.
    Expert

Aug 22, 2009, 08:07 AM
    I suggest you resist talking about your ex, with this mutual friend, so the confusion, and false hope doesn't play tricks on your mind.
    I wish Posts: 5,296, Reputation: 2030
    Family & People Expert

Sep 1, 2009, 12:08 PM
    Just keep up the no contact. It might get tougher at first, but it will get easier eventually. Just be patient. Come back here if you ever need support and confirmation that no contact is the way to go.

I'm glad that the thread helped: https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/relati...es-351302.html

I find the other stickies very helpful too.
    Ultra Member

Sep 1, 2009, 12:10 PM

IWish I must say you have come to be a stand out in the advisory world here on AMHD and I am glad you stuck around to help others out! Well done my man!
    amicon Posts: 6,066, Reputation: 1911
    Uber Member

Sep 1, 2009, 12:19 PM

Hear hear guys -always good advice.:-)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Confused and lost [ 1 Answers ]

:confused: my mom meet a guy and well they are going to be getting married. So we moved to his place which I am not use the surroundings at all,new to me and I can't stand it. It had been a month and I decide I can't take it a anymore! I talk to my dad and he said that if I want to move with him I...

Confused and lost [ 34 Answers ]

I was touching my bfs penis and some discharge came out. It was like water and it was on my hand. I washed my hand after that but can I get pregnant from that? I don't remember all the details like me touching myself down there afterwards but I'm sure I didn't. Even so it wasn't real sperm it was...

Lost and confused [ 3 Answers ]

Without going into a long story, please tell me what you think. About a year ago, me and my girlfriend broke up, she broke up with me. We talked through out the year, still seeing each other and helping one another, me more then her. I moved out gave her pretty much everything. Cause she was in...

So Confused and so lost! [ 4 Answers ]

Hello again everyone! Long time no hear from me! Last time I wrote on here I was writing about my boyfriend at the time I was having troubles with... well recently we have just broken up... well it been a couple of months.. he has already got a girlfriend and moved on! Were as for me I am still...

Lost and confused [ 12 Answers ]

I've been dating a guy for 6 months knowing that he has some issues about being insecured and low self esteem from a previous relationship but I have accepted him for what he is. Things were going great spent 4 days out of the week together consistently talk on the phone everyday 5 to 6 times a...

View more questions Search