Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    miguelito3218 Posts: 60, Reputation: 1

Oct 16, 2006, 02:56 PM
    2" shower trap: won't tighten anymore, no leak, but still a tad loose.
    Hi there. I am currently installing a 2nd bathroom in our house. The shower trap moves a little, but I can't tighten it anymore, and water does not leak when I stick a hose down the drain. Can I cover this up even though it moves it a bit? Is it supposed to move at the swivel point even when fully tightened? Thanks!
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 16, 2006, 04:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by miguelito3218
    Hi there. I am currently installing a 2nd bathroom in our house. the shower trap moves a little, but i can't tighten it anymore, and water does not leak when i stick a hose down the drain. Can I cover this up even though it moves it a bit? Is it supposed to move at the swivel point even when fully tightened? Thanks!
    Hey Miquelito, How loose are we talking about?
    As long as it doesn't leak when water's run through it it should be OK. If you're about it you can take a large pair of pliers and snug it up. Not too much, those threads are plastic not metal. Good luck, Tom

Oct 16, 2006, 04:42 PM
    Hi there Tom, thanks again for the fast response... Eh, not to loose, got to use some force to get it to move... I used a 18" pipe wrench and it won't budge either way. I ran the hose for about 10 minutes and it didn't leak at all... I guess I'll just back fill it in then.

On a different note, do I have to leave a concrete boxed area around the stup out for the shower? Seems like a lot of work to set a form just to pour that concrete around the stub out. I was going to hook up the tub, then just back fill with some dirt or even concrete around stub. Any other suggestions? Thanks.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Oct 16, 2006, 04:51 PM
    "do i have to leave a concrete boxed area around the stup out for the shower?"
    That boxed in area is called a "dap out" and is only needed when you install a tub. If you're sure of the stub-up position it's OK to patch around it with cement. Just make sure that there's enough pipe sticking up to connect the drain to. Good luck. Tom
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Oct 16, 2006, 07:18 PM
    If you skimp on the concrete in a lightly loaded area, if you ever have to redo it, it makes it easier. I had to move where my furnace vent comes through the garage floor this summer. Fortunately, 10 years ago, I only put in about an inch of concrete.

Oct 17, 2006, 07:06 AM
    Great, thanks! That's what I'll do, more of a rat slab under the tub.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to tighten loose chair legs [ 5 Answers ]

I have a vintage (not sure if it qualifies as antique yet) Duncan Phyfe diningroom set I inherited from my mom. It was in pretty bad shape when I got it. I found an older gentleman who knew how to restore it. It looked beautiful when it was finished but now after a few years, all the chair legs are...

Murray 14 hp 42" cut Blade Drive Belt Loose [ 3 Answers ]

What are ways of tightening the blade drive belt on a Murray Model 42813A Riding lawn mower with a 42" wide cut? Just installed new one & blades will turn while mower is stationary, but will stop while trying to run over any grass?

Electrical outlets "loose" [ 2 Answers ]

My husband and I recently purchased a 16 year-old home. Great house, but we've noticed that when we plug anything into any of the electrical outlets, the plugs don't want to stay in firmly, they just hang there loosely. Is there anything we can do to remedy the situation?

Is an "S" trap ever allowed? [ 4 Answers ]

The house we've just moved into has the piping for a full bathroom in the basement floor complete with an ejector pump. My intention is to put a washer\dryer and laundry sink in that area of the basement instead of a bathroom. There are 4 drain pipes running up from the floor. Three of the...

1-3/8" bottle trap drain connection? [ 7 Answers ]

Hello. I have a little problem. I'm remodeling my bathroom and am installing a basin sink. I recently purchased a chrome minimalist bottle trap from the UK. I believe it's a Hudson Reed. It's model number is EK302. Anyway, I've discovered that the drain pipe supplied with the trap that would go...

View more questions Search