Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tan4christ Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 12, 2009, 02:33 PM
    Falsely Accused of Murder Knowingly

On May 1, 2009 my fiancé was murdered by an unknown assailant who was attempting to do a home invasion robbery. We had only moved there in March. After the crime me and my girls were relocated by law enforcement. The next door neighbor who I really do not know begin spreading lies and rumors to everyone who visited the residence to put down candles and flowers for my fiancé. The lie begin that I locked him out of the house and that is why he was killed, it then went to I took his keys off his ring that is way he was murdered, it then went to I had him set up to be murdered and these things were told to my fiancés family, my family and mutual friends of my fiancé and I. This has caused a lot of talk, threats and doubt as to my credibility as a member of the clergy. I wasn't able to attend his memorial service because my family felt it wasn't safe after the rumors had been spread, causing me much emotional distress. I have filed a suit in small claims court against this person for slander, defamation and emotional distress. Do you believe I have a chance at winning this case?
    LovesTheSun13 Posts: 68, Reputation: -2

Jul 12, 2009, 02:40 PM
    The court could question if the other person's story could possibly make sense, Unless they have already caught the person who murdered your fiancé. But if everything is in order, when my cousin got her computer account hacked, she sued the person for emotional distress and being mis-charactered, and she Won so I'm thinking, you have a good chance
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Jul 12, 2009, 02:46 PM
    It seems that you've suffered sufficient damages to have a case. And if your neighbor cannot prove her claims I think you have a good chance of winning.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jul 12, 2009, 03:45 PM

What are your damages financial wise? Have you been seeing a therapist/psychologist/psychiatrist for your emotional distress over this and paid out sums of money for treatment?

I can see slander and defimation of character winning, but I am not too sure about the emotional distress. You will need more than just telling the judge you were upset about the untruths being spread around by that neighbor.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 12, 2009, 04:55 PM

What State? Small Claims in many States - but not all - will not entertain emotional distress/pain as grounds for a lawsuit. Has the Court Clerk OK'd this filing?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Getting accused of stealing [ 7 Answers ]

Ok so I'm a former employee of a gas station here in Indiana. They are saying that I stole 240.00 dollars when I only stole 40.00. Ive worked there for about 3 mnths. They say that I had the money in my hand and walked off where the camera's couldn't see me and never walked back in with the money....

Falsely accused any recourse? [ 11 Answers ]

We have been accused of molesting our grand daughter. As you can imagine , it has upended our lives and we have lost all contact with our grand daughters since this accusation has been leveled. This has been going on for 2 years now and we have never been investigated or approached by the legal...

Addiction; knowingly? [ 4 Answers ]

People know that these things are not good for health and life; then also they get indulge in drinking; drugs ; smoking etc... why?

View more questions Search