Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jillrenee15 Posts: 103, Reputation: 11

Jul 12, 2009, 02:32 AM
    RV air conditioner
    This is actually a question about our 5th wheels air conditioner. We have a 2007 28ft Colorado 5th wheel. I have a suspision that the air conditioning unit is icing up. As an example: We were camping this past weekend. We had the air on all day on Saturday. It was hot and muggy outside most of the day. The thermostat was set at 72 to keep it cool in there. About 5pm when I went in to start fixing dinner, it was 81 in there. The fan was blowing, although sluggishly. Not normal for it anyway. Usually it blows full tilt almost knocking you over. I could tell the compressor was running, but that it was just not cooling in there like it should have been. It has always worked fine. I turned it off totally for a few minutes, hoping it would reset itself or something. I could hear what sounded like ice cracking up in the roof unit. It had started to cool down a little outside, we just left it turned off and opened the windows and doors. Is there anything I can check out myself? Maybe a thermostat needs replaced or something like that? Any advice would be appreciated.
    siberianair Posts: 360, Reputation: -4

Jul 12, 2009, 04:43 AM

Is it a celing mount system? If so have you cleaned the filter on the inside? Also there is an outdoor coil on those on the roof that you can hose down too. They get dirty when they are stored and not used. Either one can make the unit sluggish.
    jillrenee15 Posts: 103, Reputation: 11

Jul 12, 2009, 05:10 AM

Yes, it is a roof mount. We will try both things, thank you.
    siberianair Posts: 360, Reputation: -4

Jul 12, 2009, 05:15 AM

Make sure there is no power and don't wash the outer coil with to strong of a water pressure... just use a garden hose. Also don't stand on roof. Try using a laddrer and spraying dfrom the side.

Safety first!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Need to Replace GE Fan Motor for outside York air conditioner air conditioner [ 2 Answers ]

The motor model number is 5KCP39EG IT IS A HP 1/4, VOLT 208/230, rpm 1075, hz 60-50 pHASE 1. Are they making this motor anywhere? If so where? Thanks

Outside Air Conditioner Unit Runs When The Air Conditioner Is Switched Off [ 4 Answers ]

We bought a Panasonic split system inverter air conditioner (7.4kw) brand new over Christmas so it is only a couple of months old. We had it installed by a qualified air conditioner installer and everything works perfectly as it should. However we have noticed recently that when the air conditioner...

Air Conditioner [ 5 Answers ]

I need some help from you HVAC guys. I have a lady with AC unit outside with one 12" line going to the registers and one 12" return coming in the AC unit. Some filter material got into the return line and was sucked into the unit, it was smelling a little like burned plastic, probably piece...

Air conditioner won't come on at all [ 1 Answers ]

The thermostat is on auto and set for cool, but the air conditioner unit won't come on. I don't know what the problem could be. The unit outside is about 4 years old and I have a new evaporator coil (maybe 3 months). I'm hot and frustrated!! Help. Sun

Outside air conditioner [ 1 Answers ]

My compressor and fan to my outside air conditioner is not turning on when I turn on my Air conditioner. What could be the problem

View more questions Search