Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dpadenmwd Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 11, 2009, 05:29 PM
    1996 ford f-150 overheating
    When driving around town without the a/c in 95-100 deg weather, temp. gauge is normal. If a/c is running temp runs hot. I have changed the fan clutch, water, pump, t-stat, and radiator flushed professionally, but truck continues to run hot when a/c is on.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Jul 11, 2009, 05:49 PM

Likely, you need to replace the radiator, or have it rodded, due to phosphate scale buildup. Only use a 50/50 mixture of manufacturer-recommended antifreeze and distilled water, in the future. An IR thermometer may show relative cold spots in the radiator.
    RickMN Posts: 244, Reputation: 52

Jul 11, 2009, 07:48 PM

We'll have to assume you did the obvious radiator fin cleaning on both the radiator and the condenser, right?

If so, then there are only two things left--the radiator and the baffles/shrouds around the radiator. Believe it or not, if the baffles or shrouds are missing, broken, or out of place, it can REALLY affect airflow through the radiator.

TX makes a really good recommendation with the infra-red themometer. You can pick them up cheap (around $30 for a good one). Then point it at several places along the water route and the radiator. It will immediately show you the spots that aren't cooling properly.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Overheating 1996 Dodge Ram 3500 truck with snowplow [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 1996 Dodge Ram 3500 V10 truck with a snowplow. The temperature gauage only goes up over 200 degrees, up to about 240 degrees only when I have the snowplow attached and going down the road. If I stop and idle the truck the temperature will go back down to 195 degrees. Has anyone...

1996 FORD Explorer [ 3 Answers ]

OK. 1996 Ford Explorer replaced computer, water pump, ETC, plugs, plug wires, and starter. Put in head/lock sealant in coolant -new coolant. Hard to start once started will start as long as motor is warm once motor cools off hard to start ,also backfires while trying to start. If has set for a...

Straight 6 300 in Ford overheating [ 3 Answers ]

I have an '85 F150 with a straight 6 300 engine in it. It sat in my brother-in-laws driveway for 3 years, never being started. I put a new battery in it, changed fuel filter, changed oil, oil filter, air filter, and drained and flushed radiator and replaced thermostat. After idling 20 minutes,...

View more questions Search