Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    slc258 Posts: 68, Reputation: 3

Jul 7, 2009, 10:25 AM
    Timing belt change
    I own a very reliable(so far.. knock on wood) 2004 Toyota 4runner with approx 113K miles... I have not changed timing belt as of yet... Im hearing conflicting opinions on this... should I be proactive and change it before it breaks and if so at what mileage is it reasonable to do so... or should I just "press my luck" and just deal with it when it breaks... what is the usual recommendation? Thanks
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Jul 7, 2009, 10:29 AM

Definitely be proactive and change it. 90,000 miles or 7 years, whichever comes first.
    ZoeMarie Posts: 2,049, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

Jul 7, 2009, 10:30 AM

To be honest, I wouldn't wait until it breaks because when it does, you're going to be replacing more than just the timing belt, or so I'm told.

Edit: and I've heard around 100K miles.
    RickMN Posts: 244, Reputation: 52

Jul 7, 2009, 11:51 AM

Conflicting opinions? From whom? About what? If you're referring to the fact that this isn't an interference engine, that only means it won't self destruct when the belt eventually breaks. But why would you want to risk being stranded somewhere when it does break?

There's no conflict here. It has to be replaced. You're already way overdue. You'll save absolutely nothing by waiting and it will probably cost you more to have the vehicle towed and the repair done on an emergency basis when it finally blows.
    kitch428 Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Jul 7, 2009, 01:25 PM

It doesn't pay to be "cheap" with this issue. Git-r-dun!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Timing Belt? [ 1 Answers ]

My 91 honda civic is not starting even with a new fuel pump! I thought that's what it was and I guess I was wrong, but I took the cover off my timing belt and the belt is loose not tight like it should be, could this be the reason its not starting? Help me!!

1998 Honda Civic Timing Belt Change [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am planning to buy a used 1998 Civic Lx- 117 K from a Dealer .Do I need to change the Timing Belt. as I am not sure if the previous owner has changed it or not. Is there a way we can find that out. At what intervals do we need to change the Timing Belt? Is it OK to buy the car? ...

2003 honda odyssey ex timing belt change and crank sensor [ 3 Answers ]

I had a friend change timing belt and now when I start and drive it loses power and stalls, transmission light comes on also.I took to tranny shop and he put OBDII on it and he said it was crank sensor and contrl ,He said it wasn't transmission.I was able to drive it to the shop and back...

View more questions Search