Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pare_john Posts: 97, Reputation: 3

Jul 4, 2009, 09:45 PM
    Toilet wax ring
    Hey guys,

I am rwady to install the toilet. My question is as follows... I went to Home depot and the guy gave me a wax ring with an ABS collar on it. He says that is what I need since my flange is ABS. Is it okay to use this style or should I be using just the rgular standard wax ring. Please let me know...

Thanks
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Jul 4, 2009, 11:33 PM

If the toilet flange in flush to the floor a standard wax ring is fine. An ABS pipe has noting to do with any wax ring period.

The floors that are added to or build up will use a wax ring with a "horn" the added plastic piece to the wax ring.

Little tip
    YouTube - NEW OR USED TOILET INSTALLATION
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Jul 5, 2009, 12:21 AM

It is a wax ring with flange. It is OK to install it. It helps to direct water to the pipe better.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 5, 2009, 05:21 AM
    he, the Home Depot guy, says that is what I need since my flange is ABS.
    That just proves out what I'ved always claimed. If big box guys could do plumbing they'd be out there doing it instead of being in a store giving bad advice.
    pare_john Posts: 97, Reputation: 3

Jul 5, 2009, 02:58 PM

Thanks guys

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toilet wax bowl ring drying out [ 13 Answers ]

I moved into a condo because I travel a lot and did not want to worry about things going wrong in my house while away. Two people have told me I need to worry about the wax bowl rings on my toilets drying out and causing flooding to the unit below me. How long can a toilet go without flushing...

Trouble replacing an OLD toilet wax ring [ 10 Answers ]

When I removed my toilet from the floor, I found that the johnny bolts are fixed to the old base and cannot be switched out. The problem is, that I had to hack-saw one of them off due to the rust build up. This toilet is the original one from 1958 with the original wax ring. It seems that the pipe...

No ring on my toilet flange [ 1 Answers ]

Hi. I'm replacing my old toilet in my basement. When I removed the old one I saw that there was no flange collar and the toilet was only held in place by the wax ring. How can I mount my new toilet to the floor with out this collar. I've searched the local hardware stores for a solutions...

Standard or oversize toilet wax ring [ 1 Answers ]

How do I determine whether I need a standard toilet wax ring versus the thicker wax ring? Is there a gap distance that would suggest one over the other. I installed tile and now have a 1/2 inch gap between the flange surface and the floor (tile) surface.

Replacing Toilet Flange Ring [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I have a PVC toilet flange without the ring that goes on the outside. I am trying to snap a new ring onto it but it just won't go on it is very frustrating. I push and push and use a rubber mallet and it just won't go on. Does anyone have any tips on getting this ring on? Thank you.

View more questions Search