Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    andreap1984 Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Jul 2, 2009, 03:22 AM
    Hot to lift my base 6 to a 7
    My hair is a base 6 and I would like to lift to a 7. Can I lift usinga level 7 colour with a 20 or 30% vol?
    Perito Posts: 3,139, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Jul 2, 2009, 04:54 AM

Very definitely yes. If you're only lifting one level, 20-volume peroxide should work very easily. If you later find it's a bit brassy, use 30-volume peroxide.

Jul 2, 2009, 06:10 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Perito View Post
    Very definitely yes. If you're only lifting one level, 20-volume peroxide should work very easily. If you later find it's a bit brassy, use 30-volume peroxide.
    Thanks Perito, giving it a go tonight and will post tomorrow to let you know the outcome

Jul 7, 2009, 06:15 AM
    Ok, so I put a level 7 on with 20vol and everywhere else is fine but my roots have turned gingery in comparison to the rest? It looks awful. The level 7 I used was a permanent and was medium blond ash gold

Any help please, I have a wedding this weekend!!
    Ultra Member

Jul 7, 2009, 06:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by andreap1984 View Post
    Ok, so I put a level 7 on with 20vol and everywhere else is fine but my roots have turned gingery in comparison to the rest? It looks awful. The level 7 I used was a permanent and was medium blond ash gold

Any help please, I have a wedding this weekend!!!
    The gingery roots indicate that the roots have not been lightened enough. If your natural color is, indeed, a level 6, and you're only going to level 7, I'd reapply the color to the roots (only!) and let it process (45 minutes). How long are the roots? If they're very long (more than 2 cm (3/4 inch), you may have some difficulty getting an even color.

If your natural level is much darker than level 6 (I was assuming, initially, that your natural level was a 6), you may have to do "root highlights" with bleach.

Jul 7, 2009, 09:14 AM
    The gingery roots indicate that the roots have not been lightened enough. If your natural color is, indeed, a level 6, and you're only going to level 7, I'd reapply the color to the roots (only!) and let it process (45 minutes). How long are the roots? If they're very long (more than 2 cm (3/4 inch), you may have some difficulty getting an even color.

If your natural level is much darker than level 6 (I was assuming, initially, that your natural level was a 6), you may have to do "root highlights" with bleach.
    My natural hair colour is a level 6 but with warmth not a flat colour, the colour on the rest of my hair is a level 6 but with less warmth and looked slightly darker to my root, the root area is only about 2cm I would say.

Do you think I should reapply the colour to the root only using 20 vol?

Getting worried now as my hair colour isn't consistent throughout, not sure if I should use something like colour oops to get all of the colour off and then go from there, what do you think?

Andrea x
    Ultra Member

Jul 7, 2009, 10:08 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by andreap1984 View Post
    My natural hair colour is a level 6 but with warmth not a flat colour, the colour on the rest of my hair is a level 6 but with less warmth and looked slightly darker to my root, the root area is only about 2cm I would say.

Do you think I should reapply the colour to the root only using 20 vol?

Getting worried now as my hair colour isn't consistent throughout, not sure if I should use something like colour oops to get all of the colour off and then go from there, what do you think?

Andrea x
    Yes, I think you should reapply the color to the root only and 20-volume peroxide should be sufficient. From what you're telling me, it should work without difficulty. If there's a marked difference between the root and the ends, you could use 30-volume peroxide. I'm not sure it will make much difference in any case.

I think that if you were to use Color Oops (or ColorFix) to get a clean slate, that you would be causing yourself many more problems. I'm not sure what has caused your colour inconsistency, but normally variation in color is sought after. (ColorFix and Color Oops use essentially the same chemistry -- they're both sulfur-based reducing agents.) If you really want to do that, here are some instructions for using ColorFix:

http://www.robertcraig.com/php/index...ation=colorfix

And Color Oops

http://www.developlus.com/products/coloroops/index.html
    http://www.developlus.com/advice/app...ops/index.html

Note Color Oops has two "strengths".

Jul 7, 2009, 11:02 AM
    Yes, I think you should reapply the color to the root only and 20-volume peroxide should be sufficient. From what you're telling me, it should work without difficulty. If there's a marked difference between the root and the ends, you could use 30-volume peroxide. I'm not sure it will make much difference in any case.

I think that if you were to use Color Oops (or ColorFix) to get a clean slate, that you would be causing yourself many more problems. I'm not sure what has caused your colour inconsistency, but normally variation in color is sought after. (ColorFix and Color Oops use essentially the same chemistry -- they're both sulfur-based reducing agents.) If you really want to do that, here are some instructions for using ColorFix:

Hair Color, Hair Care and The No More Bad Hair Days Kit by Robert Craig Salon Products, Ltd.

and Color Oops

Developlus - Color Oops
    Developlus - Applying ColorOops

Note Color Oops has two "strengths".
    Thanks for this, going to try the roots first and see if that solves the problem, if not I may try Colourfix or Colouroops, which do you think is better and kinder to the hair?
    Ultra Member

Jul 7, 2009, 01:18 PM
    They're both so similar that I can't recommend one over the other.

Jul 9, 2009, 07:09 AM

Ok I am confused. I put on Igora 7.3 which is medium blond gold with 30 vol watered down to 20 and still my roots are gingery, not as bad as before but definitely ginger.

I have a wedding at the weekend and my hair is fine everywhere else but why is it going this colour? Do I need a toner to cancel out the gingery colour and if so what toner and colour or should I try putting it on my roots again but this time 30 vol?
    Ultra Member

Jul 9, 2009, 07:28 AM
    OK. I am confused. I put on Igora 7.3 which is medium blond gold with 30 vol watered down to 20 and still my roots are gingery, not as bad as before but definitely ginger.

I have a wedding at the weekend and my hair is fine everywhere else but why is it going this colour? Do I need a toner to cancel out the gingery colour and if so what toner and colour or should I try putting it on my roots again but this time 30 vol?
    The "toner" that you used is the "medium blond gold" dye. So using an additional toner wouldn't make any sense.

I'm wondering if the fact that you used a golden blonde shade is causing the ginger. Maybe you should have used a medium ash blonde. I wish I could see a picture of the hair.

Each time you put dye on the roots, the peroxide lightens the natural pigment that's remaining. 30-volume will lighten it (and get rid of the "warmth") a little bit better than 20-volume. That's the idea for putting the color on again. However, all these treatments do incrementally increase the damage to the hair, and you want to minimize that.

I expect that if you waited a couple of weeks, that the roots would fade to the same color as the rest of the hair. Unfortunately, you have this wedding coming up that you want to look good for. :(

Let me suggest the following. I don't like to recommend anything that will damage hair so the very best suggestion would be to simply let it fade. If you decide that it's just too noticeable to leave alone, then use an ash blonde color, or a neutral blonde, and not a golden blonde (you want to minimize "warmth"). It probably doesn't make much difference whether you use 20-volume (6%) or 30-volume (9%) peroxide so I'll leave that up to you. Apply it only to the root area, and let it process for 40 minutes. If it's still gingery after that, then I'm stumped because all the chemistry I know says that it has to work.

I wish you good luck.

Jul 9, 2009, 07:32 AM
    The "toner" that you used is the "medium blond gold" dye. So using an additional toner wouldn't make any sense.

I'm wondering if the fact that you used a golden blonde shade is causing the ginger. Maybe you should have used a medium ash blonde. I wish I could see a picture of the hair.

Each time you put dye on the roots, the peroxide lightens the natural pigment that's remaining. 30-volume will lighten it (and get rid of the "warmth") a little bit better than 20-volume. That's the idea for putting the color on again. However, all these treatments do incrementally increase the damage to the hair, and you want to minimize that.

I expect that if you waited a couple of weeks, that the roots would fade to the same color as the rest of the hair. Unfortunately, you have this wedding coming up (I hate pressure) that you want to look good for.

Let me suggest the following. I don't like to recommend anything that will damage hair so the very best suggestion would be to simply let it fade. If you decide that it's just too noticeable to leave alone, then use an ash blonde color, or a neutral blonde, and not a golden blonde (you want to minimize "warmth"). It probably doesn't make much difference whether you use 20-volume (6%) or 30-volume (9%) peroxide so I'll leave that up to you.

I wish you good luck.
    Hi thanks for coming back to me so quickly. As its already light enough but just to ginger do you think I should use level 7n which is medium dark blond instead of the medium blond gold, or am I best picking a colour with an ash tone to it? Everywhere else is fine and it is an improvement from the first time but I just don't want to have gingery roots at the wedding that's all, especially if its sunny they will stand out!

Andrea

Jul 9, 2009, 07:44 AM

I expect that if you waited a couple of weeks, that the roots would fade to the same color as the rest of the hair. Unfortunately, you have this wedding coming up that you want to look good for. :(

Let me suggest the following. I don't like to recommend anything that will damage hair so the very best suggestion would be to simply let it fade. If you decide that it's just too noticeable to leave alone, then use an ash blonde color, or a neutral blonde, and not a golden blonde (you want to minimize "warmth"). It probably doesn't make much difference whether you use 20-volume (6%) or 30-volume (9%) peroxide so I'll leave that up to you. Apply it only to the root area, and let it process for 40 minutes. If it's still gingery after that, then I'm stumped because all the chemistry I know says that it has to work.

I wish you good luck.
    Hi thanks for coming back to me so quickly. As its already light enough but just to ginger do you think I should use level 7n which is medium dark blond instead of the medium blond gold, or am I best picking a colour with an ash tone to it? Everywhere else is fine and it is an improvement from the first time but I just don't want to have gingery roots at the wedding that's all, especially if its sunny they will stand out!

Andrea
    Ultra Member

Jul 9, 2009, 07:49 AM
    Hi thanks for coming back to me so quickly. As its already light enough but just too ginger do you think I should use level 7n which is medium dark blond instead of the medium blond gold, or am I best picking a colour with an ash tone to it? Everywhere else is fine and it is an improvement from the first time but I just don't want to have gingery roots at the wedding that's all, especially if its sunny they will stand out!
    I'm sorry for being as vague. I really don't know how to get more specific.

Let me explain a bit more. "Ginger" usually refers to the brassiness or warmth (red and yellow tones) in the hair. Most people try to limit the brassiness so they use neutral shades or, if they're really plagued with brassiness (due to natural pigment), they use ash shades. "Golden" shades aren't very popular.

The real problem is the remaining natural pigment of the hair. As hair lightens, it goes through color changes as shown in this graphic:

Link to haircolor graphic

In the graphic, the colors on the right side are the undertones. The left side is what is achievable using a toner; not necessarily what one gets.

Your natural color is a level 6, so your undertones should be orange-gold. As the natural pigment of your hair lightened, the undertones should have achieved gold or yellow-gold status just by the action of the peroxide. (Note: you can't see only the undertones; one could only do this if one used peroxide without any colorant.) Hair dyes are formulated to try to counteract the remaining undertones (and give the color that you see at the left of the graphic). 20-volume peroxide/40 minutes will normally lift 2 levels -- in your case from level 6 to 8. One more application should have lifted it to level 9. The dye in the coloring that you are using is actually darkening the hair back to level 7 by adding pigment.

Normally, if you lighten the undertones a bit more, you eliminate the red in the undertones as you can see from the graphic. That's what I was hoping to do. What I expect is happening is that the golden blonde tint is adding too much warmth into the overall color, and that is what is making it appear gingery ("ginger" is not as specific a name of a color as one would like to use). It would be nice to strip the artificial pigments from the roots and re-dye with a more neutral or ash shade, but that's not really a reasonable thing to do.

I'm going to have to let you pick whether to use a neutral or an ash shade. It depends on how gingery the roots actually are. I'd like to recommend the ash shade but since I can't see the color directly, I can only guess at what is right. The downside in using an ash is that it might turn the roots too greyish or greenish. You could try a strand test and base the shade selection on that.

Jul 9, 2009, 08:06 AM
    I'm sorry for being as vague. I really don't know how to get more specific.

Let me explain a bit more. "Ginger" usually refers to the brassiness or warmth (red and yellow tones) in the hair. Most people try to limit the brassiness so they use neutral shades or, if they're really plagued with brassiness (due to natural pigment), they use ash shades. "Golden" shades aren't very popular.

The real problem is the remaining natural pigment of the hair. As hair lightens, it goes through color changes as shown in this graphic:

Link to haircolor graphic

In the graphic, the colors on the right side are the undertones. The left side is what is achievable using a toner; not necessarily what one gets.

Your natural color is a level 6, so your undertones should be orange-gold. As the natural pigment of your hair lightened, the undertones should have achieved gold or yellow-gold status just by the action of the peroxide. (Note: you can't see only the undertones; one could only do this if one used peroxide without any colorant.) Hair dyes are formulated to try to counteract the remaining undertones (and give the color that you see at the left of the graphic). 20-volume peroxide/40 minutes will normally lift 2 levels -- in your case from level 6 to 8. One more application should have lifted it to level 9. The dye in the coloring that you are using is actually darkening the hair back to level 7 by adding pigment.

Normally, if you lighten the undertones a bit more, you eliminate the red in the undertones as you can see from the graphic. That's what I was hoping to do. What I expect is happening is that the golden blonde tint is adding in too much warmth into the overall color, and that is what is making it appear gingery ("ginger" is not as specific a name of a color as one would like to use). It would be nice to strip the artificial pigments from the roots and re-dye with a more neutral or ash shade, but that's not really a reasonable thing to do.

I'm going to have to let you pick whether to use a neutral or an ash shade. It depends on how gingery the roots actually are. I'd like to recommend the ash shade but since I can't see the color directly, I can only guess at what is right. The downside in using an ash is that it might turn the roots too greyish or greenish. You could try a strand test and base the shade selection on that.

Looking at the graphc I would say the colour it looks is between organe - gold and gold, I don't want a flat tone so I'm worried that putting a neutral level 7 will make it look flat, but if I put a stronger vol it would light it even more which it doesn't need.

However, I would definitely say that my root area is not a level 9, it is probably 7 or 8 at most I don't think when I put the colour on it lightened it by 2 shades, it only looks one shade lighter which is what I wanted.

I will try to take a photo later tonight so you can see and maybe that will help to advise better as you can see what I have and what I'm trying to achieve?
    stylist101 Posts: 43, Reputation: 3

Aug 26, 2009, 12:35 AM

Here's your first mistake! You were only lifting one level! You only needed 10volume! The 20 and 30 is uncalled4 and will only make your hair more gingery! Even lifting one level your hair was still pulling warm pigment Wich needed2be counteracted with a 7 ash to cancel out the warmth! This wouldv gotten you to a nice level 7!
    janeselby Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 10, 2009, 08:50 PM
    You need to use a 7.1 ash blond the blue tone will kill the red. 2 shades lighter 20 vol 3 shades lighter 30 vol

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Gold base and blue base hair color [ 2 Answers ]

I have many times colored my hair in years past. I always used miss clairols blondest beige and it always turned out fine. About 4 years ago I grew it all out my natural color. Light light brown (dishwater blonde) Anyway.. last night.. I decided to color my hair I bought lightest golden blonde...

Hi lift [ 1 Answers ]

Hey I was wondering if it is possible to use a hi lift light blonde color on medium brown hair. I've bleached my hair before and I was told hi lift blonde such as Ion from sally beauty supply would work on my hair color,but I am kind of hesitant to use it unless I get some feedback.Any advice?

Dry laid Flagstone: sub-base only, or sub-base and base? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I live in Northern VA and am installing dry laid 1.5" natural cleft flagstone on 4" of bluestone sub-base. I'd like this 500 sq ft. patio to last 20 years or more. My question: Is it overkill to add 2" of stonedust as a base on top of the bluestone sub-base, or is this unnecessary? If my...

Can't lift over 10 lbs! [ 3 Answers ]

All right - I desperately need a job and I'm 6 months pregnant. I am not able to lift over 10 lbs due to a bicornuate uterus.. my doctor just doesn't want anything to happen to me. I have a very healthy pregnancy besides that though. Question being.. what kind of job could I do to make decent money...

New Face Lift! [ 26 Answers ]

I was surprised when I came to askmehelpdesk just a few minutes ago. Everything looks so different and set up differently. What was behind the changes and how many more changes are coming. Joe

View more questions Search