Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mr handy joe Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 1, 2009, 02:46 PM
    Cast iron to pvc transition for main vent stack
    Hello to all. I am adding a 2nd story to my home. I have a 4" cast iron vent that y's off to pick up a galvanized 2" pipe for the bathroom below. I have a 2 part question. (A) The vent runs horizontally at a 90 for about 6 feet, then goes up through the roof. I would like to cut this out, relocate the run straight up from where the y fitting is now. Is this acceptable? (B) I would like to do this using 4" pvc. Would I be able to do this transiton with a sleeve? Thank you in advance to all for your replys.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Jul 1, 2009, 03:17 PM

Yes, it is acceptable. Actually, it is better when you eliminate horizontal section of the vent.

Yes, you can extend existing Cast Iron with PVC or ABS. Just use appropriate Fernco shielded coupling and keep the diameter of new pipe consistent with the old one.
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Jul 1, 2009, 03:27 PM

Milo said it. You will be just fine.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jul 1, 2009, 03:32 PM
    it is better when you eliminate horizontal section of the vent.
    Milo, Can you explain to me why it's better. I had always thought since it was simply air that bends and the position of the pipe didn't make any difference as long as the pipe was clear to the outside. Where did I go wrong? Thanks Milo

Joe,
    You will transition from cast iron to plastic using a No-Hub Band or a shielded coupling, (see images) Good luck, Tom
    Attached Images

mr handy joe Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 1, 2009, 05:32 PM
    Thank you gentleman for your timely feedback

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cast iron vent stack and PVC waste lines [ 1 Answers ]

I decided to replace the cast iron portions of my waste lines from a double vanity sink to the waste line. Previously a plumber had replaced the accessible portions with PVC so I have quite a mix. Now that I have opened up the wall, I see that I have a cast iron vent stack / hub (see pics: ) that...

Cast Iron Vent Stack [ 2 Answers ]

I have just purchased a 1950's rental property with a cast iron vent stack. The insurance co. wants me to replace it as they are prone to leaking in older homes. The job seems fairly straight forward, but do you have to replace the elbow/cleanout at the bottom that is cemented into the basement...

Crack in Cast Iron Main soil stack [ 3 Answers ]

:confused: I just moved into a Bi-level house approx. 40-50 years old. It has a Cast Iron Main soil stack (main vertical sewer line). On the lower level I noticed that it has a crack that is approx 5"-6" long about 1/4" thick. Now I bought a new pluming book because of some other repairs I had...

Cast Iron Main Vent [ 5 Answers ]

Just looked at a property I want to buy and flip. During inspection, two red flags for me. About a 40' run of cast iron drain pipe is rusted and leaking. All radiators need to be moved to maximize space. Q1: My question is: Is the job of replacing the cast iron to tough for a DIY'er like me?...

Cast iron vent stack [ 7 Answers ]

I'm installiing a new basement bathroom and when running a vent stack I would like to tap into the existing cast iron with PVC using a saddle on the cast. My question is what method is used to cut a hole in the cast iron, where I wish to place the saddle and connect the PVC.

View more questions Search