Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    krosado Posts: 29, Reputation: 1

Jul 1, 2009, 11:57 AM
    3 year old Yorkie who doesn't poop
    Hi

I'm dog sitting a 3 year old Yorkie for my co-worker. She told me that he does not poop outdoors however he does on the training pad. I was a little annoyed but I agreed to watch him.

First he didn't want to eat the food she had given me (same as he always eats)- I left his bowl in the same place as his water and his bed and he hasn't eaten in two days. I called her and was told to give him some table scraps - so against that but I wanted him to eat.

Okay- now its day 4 and he pooped once. We were out at a BBQ from 2pm to 11:30, as soon as we got back he pooped on the living room floor. I was happy he pooped but annoyed he held it in until we got home.

He pee's every time I take him out and on everything but he won't poop.

I'm starting to wonder if this is healthy?

I took him on a 2 hour walk and NOTHING. Its now going on two days and nothing.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Jul 1, 2009, 12:02 PM

Has he eaten much over those 4 days?
    If he is not eating a lot then he wouldn't be pooping much.

It sounds like he is stressing about his owner being away.

You could try boiling some chicken for him, (table scraps aren't the best as you know) it will be gentle on his stomach and I don't know many dogs that will refuse chicken.

How long are you taking care of him for?
    Keep an eye on him and if he hasn't pooped again by tomorrow I would call the owners back and ask permission to take him to the vets.

Jul 1, 2009, 12:32 PM
    Hi shazamataz

When I spoke with my co-worker she just told me not to worry about him not eating or pooping- I guess this is something that's "normal" for her.
    I'm concerned - I never knew an animal that didn't eat or poop- if it were Normal I think there will be less strays in the street.

I made him some hot dogs and mixed it with his food- he nibble but didn't eat it all. I understand he is a small breed but it was only 2 hot dogs!
    What's weird is he get wet and dry food mixed together and I tried giving it to him together as well as separate- he smells it and walks away.

I'll try the chicken- hopefully that will do the trick.
    Day 1- didn't eat anything
    Day 2 didn't eat anything
    Day 3 ate 1 hot dog
    Day 4 didn't eat this morning and my husband said he hasn't touched his food yet.

I have him for 4 more days!
    Uber Member

Jul 1, 2009, 10:28 PM

No, it's not normal that he is not eating for days at a time.
    I'm more concerned about the owners not seeming to care that their dog is not eating.

Give the chicken a go and let me know if you have any luck with that.

Is he drinking water? That is more of a concern than the food at the moment. If he is drinking plenty but only having a small amount of food he can get by over those last 4 days but if he is not drinking it is very serious.

Jul 2, 2009, 06:06 AM
    Okay- so I tried the chicken and he ate it as it was his first time eating chicken. I was VERY happy- I also tried mixing in some pieces with his dry food but he wouldn't eat it. So I came to an conclusion he does not like the food he is being forced to eat.

Its all natural -Organic stuff- the can food has Chicken chunks, apple slices and potatoes- I think its suppose to be POT PIE or something - not sure what the dry food is as I only have an unlabeled jar.

After he ate I waiting an hour or so and took him on a long walk... He finally POOPED.

It was little soft and I noticed he was struggling a little but I'm not sure if that's from the chicken.

To answer you question about water- he drinks tons of water- maybe that's why he is always peeing.

THANK you for you help.
    Uber Member

Jul 2, 2009, 04:43 PM

That's great to hear!

I'm glad the chicken worked for you, it may have caused him to have slighlty soft stools if he does not usually eat it but it is nothing to be concerned about.
    A lot of dogs don't like a particular brand so maybe you could suggest a change to his owners?
    I have tried a lot of high end brands and none of my dogs like it, they preffer good 'ol Pedigree dry food and VIP dog sausage.

Jul 3, 2009, 09:13 AM
    Oh yes, he now has un controllable diarrhea. I feel bad for him but I'm happy that he is eating and pooping.
    jmjoseph Posts: 2,727, Reputation: 1244
    Ultra Member

Jul 3, 2009, 09:19 AM
    It's not the dog I feel bad for now. Good luck on finding the carpet shampoo machine. Just kidding, glad all is well. You should get him some other type of food. Try Alpo in the can, or Mighty dog. I'd probably eat those, (before I'd eat my mother in laws dressing again.)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My yorkie has Poop blocking him to poop. [ 2 Answers ]

I noticed that my 10 week old Yorkie was trying to poop like 5 times in a roll, he was trying real hard and I noticed that there was nothing to pick up. He did the same thing serval times. I looked at his anal and there is hard poop that is blocking him to poop. What do I do? :confused:

How to train my year old yorkie! [ 1 Answers ]

I have been struggling with my shorkie lately. She doesn't listen, does her business all over the house and furniture, leaves running every time they open a door, she is just out of control. What should I do? How do I house train her? Can I do something to change her? This is getting way out of...

2 1/2 year old russell / Yorkie snips when she meets other dogs [ 3 Answers ]

I have an 8lb 2 1/2 year old Jack russell/ Yorkshire terrier who is getting increasingly worse when she meets other dogs. She gets nervous and snips at them. After doing some research I realized that part of the problem was the way I was holding the leash. I'd get anxious (about her snipping) when...

My 4 year old dog still will pee or poop in the house [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 4 year old Jack Russell / Rat Terrier mix. She is sweet as she can be, but she still poops and pees in the house. We house trained her when she was a pup, and she does use the bathroom outside. However, she will go out sometimes and then come in the house and go poop in a room. She...

Why does my one year old lab still poop in his crate? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a one year old lab who still poops in his crate what do I do?:(

View more questions Search