Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    logan176 Posts: 341, Reputation: 6

Jun 30, 2009, 02:18 PM
    Roofing Ice Shield Placement
    I have been getting quotes to reshingle my roof. Some roofers said they wanted to put ice shield in the normal spot... the bottom. Others want to put ice shield at each edge of the roof, including at the ridge.

Is ice shield really needed at any other place besides the bottom edge of the roof?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 30, 2009, 08:00 PM

I'll be interested in reading what my peers have to say on this. Ice shielding is only needed on the roof above the eave near the gutter. That is the only place where melted ice refreezes and requires the protection. Did the other roofers offer and explanation of why, other than their kid was going back to college.
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Jun 30, 2009, 09:43 PM

Is ice shield really needed at any other place besides the bottom edge of the roof?
    No the bottom edges is all you will need. Ice shielding is basically a doubling up on your tar paper and or first course of shingles. The old days metal flashing was used at the eves where the gutters are

Logan, the ONLY reason Ice damming is caused is because of POOR insulation at the eves. This allows heat to escape during the warmer part of the day and the evening it freezes up to create an Ice dam. With the proper conditions this repeats its self and can become HUGE in ice hanging off the gutters

Here's site I found last year to prove my answer about ice damming on an apartment complex and what causes it.
    Ice Dams and Attic Condensation

I would ask the roofer how ice damming starts and what causes it to see if he knows roofing.
    logan176 Posts: 341, Reputation: 6

Jul 1, 2009, 01:16 PM

Thanks guys, that's what I thought. Some of the roofers said that sometimes in a severe storm, wind could possibly lift the edge of the house and water could penetrate.
    sidingpro Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Mar 17, 2011, 11:55 AM
    As a wakefield roofing contractor the reason for more ice water coverage could be you have a very low sloped roof. I don't have all of the facts, but if you have a low sloped roof, and you're using asphalt shingles, having ice and water shield covering your entire roof deck would be a smart option.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

The Shield anti virus [ 3 Answers ]

Is The Shield a good anti virus?

How Can I Shield or Replace The Glass Shield in a Single Light 256-759 Track Light [ 1 Answers ]

I purchased a Hampton Bay Single-Light Track Light (256-759) to be use for my wife's statuettes in a lower bookcase. The light works great but unfortunately, the translucent glass shield around the bulb gives out too much light through the glass and is very distracting when looking at the...

IB Roofing (pvc) vs. CertianTeed Roofing [ 3 Answers ]

Can anyone tell me the pros and cons between these two roofing materials. I am in charge of having a roof replaced for our city council. We have had several contractors come in and give us estimates and its down between these two. Both are at the same cost. This is going on a building with a flat...

Soldering heat shield [ 2 Answers ]

What is the best way to protect wood studs and fiberglass insulation when you are soldering inside wall stud bays ? I have to solder a 1.5 inch elbow and there is only about one half inch between the wood stud and the elbow. Someone told me that aluminum foil is a good heat shield. I have some thin...

View more questions Search