Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    goldnugget Posts: 99, Reputation: 9

Jun 30, 2009, 08:03 AM
    Milk supply for toddler during pregnancy
    My son is 22 months old and I am currently in the first trimester. He still breastfeeds around 10 times a day and I'm a bit worried about my supply dropping as my pregnancy progresses. Has anyone here been able to maintain a good supply throughout their pregnancy? Thanks :)
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jun 30, 2009, 08:46 AM

You should be able to.
    Make sure you take your prenatal vitamins.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Jun 30, 2009, 09:17 AM

You may notice a slight decline if he drops any feeds, which sometimes happens as a taste change can occur. Some children don't notice it, others will adjust. In most cases the decline, if any, is short term.
    jenniepepsi Posts: 4,042, Reputation: 533
    Ultra Member

Jun 30, 2009, 09:31 AM

Definatley very possible.

Steps to Follow if You are Pregnant and Nursing
    Needing extra rest is normal in pregnancy. Breastfeeding during your pregnancy may help you get extra rest if you breastfeed your toddler while lying down. Completely childproofing one room with a mattress or pallet on the floor would allow you to continue to rest if your toddler goes off to play. Who knows, you both may drift off for a little nap!

Some mothers develop tender nipples during pregnancy. Careful attention to your child's position can help. Breathing techniques from childbirth classes can help you cope with the increased sensitivity. The breathing techniques may also help if you become restless while your toddler breastfeeds. If your child is old enough, you can ask him or her to nurse more gently or for shorter periods. This will help with both your tender nipples and your feelings of restlessness.

I got this from Breastfeeding During Pregnancy, Pregnancy, Breastfeeding, Breastfeeding Answer Book, Tender Nipples, Milk Supply Decreases and you may find lots of other information on that site that may be useful :)

Good luck :)

Jul 1, 2009, 01:46 AM
    Thanks so much everyone!
    Maccaroni Posts: 17, Reputation: 2

Jul 4, 2009, 04:34 PM

Are you planning to breast feed both babies? That sounds like really hard work to me. I struggle to feed my baby when he goes though a growth spurt and he is only 3 1/2 months.

Jul 18, 2009, 08:08 AM

Yes Maccaroni I am planning on tandem feeding. I am hoping to breastfeed both children until at least 3 years old so will be feeding both together for at least a year. I have never found breastfeeding difficult so hopefully I will manage.
    KARIEMELIA Posts: 110, Reputation: 8

Jul 18, 2009, 09:17 AM

My opinion is... once they get teeth, they are done! Good thing no one asked what my thoughts on it were. LOL, more power to you!
    Uber Member

Jul 18, 2009, 09:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by KARIEMELIA View Post
    My opinion is... once they get teeth, they are done! Good thing no one asked what my thoughts on it were. LOL, more power to you!
    Ahhh, but what about a situation where a baby is already born with a tooth or two?. ;)

You can always work around teeth!
    KARIEMELIA Posts: 110, Reputation: 8

Jul 18, 2009, 09:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by DoulaLC View Post
    Ahhh, but what about a situation where a baby is already born with a tooth or two???...;)

You can always work around teeth!
    Let's just say this... yes I understand why mothers continue to do it since it is very healthy for a baby/child, but at the same time it is very weird to see a mother breastfeeding her almost 2 year old!
    Ultra Member

Jul 18, 2009, 03:15 PM

I'm glad you have decided to breastfeed as long as you can/want. And don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Its all about YOUR choice. :)

Reading this makes me feel so wistfull. I wasn't able to breastfeed (I was making 'water' instead of milk) and the doctor had me give her formula in the hospital on our 3rd day there because she just wasn't gaining anything and was Always hungry. He had me pump and looked at the milk and it was obvious it wasn't 'milk' lol. It wasn't even colostrum. It was just... almost clear. You know how if you take a glass, that used to have milk in it, and its empty, but when you fill it with water to rinse it, the little bit of residue at the bottom makes the water cloudy?

Yeah that's what I made. Hehe.

So kudos to anyone who can breastfeed. :D
    Ultra Member

Jul 18, 2009, 03:17 PM
    Let's just say this... yes I understand why mothers continue to do it since it is very healthy for a baby/child, but at the same time it is very weird to see a mother breastfeeding her almost 2 year old!
    Nah, I don't think 2 is weird. 9 years old is weird! Lol
    Uber Member

Jul 18, 2009, 03:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jenniepepsi View Post
    im glad you have decided to breastfeed as long as you can/want. and dont let anyone tell you otherwise. its all about YOUR choice. :)

reading this makes me feel so wistfull. i wasnt able to breastfeed (i was making 'water' instead of milk) and the doctor had me give her formula in the hospital on our 3rd day there because she just wasnt gaining anything and was ALWASY hungry. he had me pump and looked at the milk and it was obvious it wasnt 'milk' lol. it wasnt even colostrum. it was just...almost clear. you know how if you take a glass, that used to have milk in it, and its empty, but when you fill it with water to rinse it, the little bit of residue at the bottom makes the water cloudy?

yeah thats what i made. hehe.

so kudos to anyone who can breastfeed. :D
    Jennie... I do hope next time, and I hope it happens very soon for you! that you have a lactation consultant available to support you so that things might go differently next time for you... :)
    Ultra Member

Jul 18, 2009, 03:29 PM

I agree. I found out after I had dried up, that if I had continued pumping, real milk may have come through. But the doctors and nurses simply pushed a bottle into my hand with formula. So I assumed (new mother naivity) that it was for the best you know?
    Uber Member

Jul 18, 2009, 03:36 PM

I know exactly what you mean... happens quite often... good intentions, but not the most informed advice or best support is given sometimes.

Sending you loads of baby dust~~~~~~
    Ultra Member

Jul 18, 2009, 04:06 PM

Ooo thanks hon. You guys are definitely ONE of the first to know when and if I conceive again. (hubby and parents being the first of course hehe)

Jul 20, 2009, 10:40 AM
    Unfortunately many people think it looks weird simply because not many women breastfeed their babies past 6 months, let alone 2 years. I really hope this changes. Worldwide, the average age of weaning is four years and based on our biology, children are designed to wean after they are 2.5 to 7 years.

Children need breastmilk for at least 2 years and preferably at least 3 years. So much education and support is needed to improve breastfeeding rates in the western world. The overall health of these countries would improve no end if women breastfed for longer.

Jul 20, 2009, 10:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jenniepepsi View Post
    i agree. i found out after i had dried up, that if i had continued pumping, real milk may have come thru. but the doctors and nurses simply pushed a bottle into my hand with formula. so i assumed (new mother naivity) that it was for the best you know?
    Jenni this has happened so often. In Australia they are not allowed to give formula to babies in hospital now without written consent. I do hope that next time you get the right support. Definitely get a lactation consultant if you are having problems as almost all problems can be sorted out. Don't let the hospital give your baby formula because this is often the start of the end for breastfeeding. Good luck! I love your positive attitude :).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How can I produce breast milk without pregnancy? [ 1 Answers ]

How can I produce breast milk without getting pregnant? Because we have plan to adopt a little 2-3 month baby & I want to feed her with my own breast. Can u Pl.tell me is there any medication is available for that in the market? Pl.reply me at the earliest. Thanking you, JIGNESH SHAH

Supply line won't stop running. Main water supply off [ 3 Answers ]

I was doing some bathroom remodeling and attempted to remove an old supply valve. It would not budge so I decided to cut the copper tubing underneath it and put on a new shutoff valve with a compression fitting. The problem is that water just kept coming out of that supply line. The main water...

Breast milk supply [ 6 Answers ]

My son is 7 weeks old, and I'm starting to have issues with my milk supply. I feed pretty much on demand exclusively from the breast. I may give a bottle once in a while but only if necessary. I am concerned because I start back to work, tonight, and while I will be pumping with a good Medela pump,...

Uncertain whether this is related to milk production or just part of pregnancy: [ 1 Answers ]

This will be a change of topic for you, as I see that most of the topics in this section are basically whether the person is pregnant or not. I'm pregnant, exactly 17 weeks today and I just started noticing that my nipples have turned red and have this strong sensation of burning. Nothing...

Which milk rottens faster soy milk or cow milk and why [ 1 Answers ]

Which milk rottens faster soy milk or cow milk and why?

View more questions Search