Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    anongirl17 Posts: 50, Reputation: 4

Jun 28, 2009, 06:26 AM
    Driving is ruining my life.
    I passed my driving test just under a year ago and here in the UK, for the first 2 years of after passing we are put on a probationary period in which we only need 6 points to have our licence revoked. This could happen if, for example, you were caught speeding twice (3 points each).

I am not a dangerous or careless driver in the slightest, but I fear that if I make one genuine mistake I will somehow get 6 points and lose my license. And of course, as a new driver I do make some small mistakes as I am still inexperienced. My fear of having my license revoked is making me want to lock my car in the garage until my 2 year probationary period is up. The thing is, it took me a long time to learn to drive and I would be absolutely heartbroken if one mistake made me lose my license.

Every time I drive anywhere, all day and that night before I go to sleep I replay all of the days journeys in my head and try to pinpoint where I might have done something wrong (causing me to lose a lot of sleep). I am paranoid that there are CCTV cameras all over the roads looking out for drivers who make mistakes. Every letter I receive makes me panic as I think it's something to do with a mistake I've made when driving. On days when I've been past a speed camera, I spend the rest of the day convincing myself that I've been caught speeding even though I practically halve the limit when I know there's a camera... It's ridiculous :mad:

My mum said all I have to worry about coming through the post is a red light-jumping offence or a speeding fine. Nothing else gets caught on camera. And as I do neither of these things (even though I convince myself I do without realising!) I have nothing to worry about. Is she right?

I'm booking myself in for counselling about this anxiety which is general across many areas of my life, but I was wondering if anyone here would be kind enough to offer some reassurance specifically to driving, as that is definitely my main problem.

Many thanks, and sorry for sounding like such a nutcase :(
    albear Posts: 1,594, Reputation: 222
    Ultra Member

Jun 28, 2009, 07:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by anongirl17 View Post
    I passed my driving test just under a year ago and here in the UK, for the first 2 years of after passing we are put on a probationary period in which we only need 6 points to have our licence revoked. This could happen if, for example, you were caught speeding twice (3 points each).

I am not a dangerous or careless driver in the slightest, but I fear that if I make one genuine mistake I will somehow get 6 points and lose my license. And of course, as a new driver I do make some small mistakes as I am still inexperienced. My fear of having my license revoked is making me want to lock my car in the garage until my 2 year probationary period is up. The thing is, it took me a long time to learn to drive and I would be absolutely heartbroken if one mistake made me lose my license.
    Hi anongirl17, yea I can see your problem and understand it, I'm coming up to the end of my second year of driving (actually from when I had my first car and started driving it), also in the uk, you passed your driving test right, that means that YOU have been deemed a good enough driver to legally drive on britons roads :) and as such you shouldn't worry about committing any driving offenses, because you ARE a good driver and you won't make those mistakes as long as you stick to what you've learned

Quote Originally Posted by anongirl17 View Post
    Every time I drive anywhere, all day and that night before I go to sleep I replay all of the days journeys in my head and try to pinpoint where I might have done something wrong (causing me to lose a lot of sleep). I am paranoid that there are CCTV cameras all over the roads looking out for drivers who make mistakes. Every letter I receive makes me panic as I think it's something to do with a mistake I've made when driving. On days when I've been past a speed camera, I spend the rest of the day convincing myself that I've been caught speeding even though I practically halve the limit when I know there's a camera... It's ridiculous :mad:

My mum said all I have to worry about coming through the post is a red light-jumping offence or a speeding fine. Nothing else gets caught on camera. And as I do neither of these things (even though I convince myself I do without realising!) I have nothing to worry about. Is she right?

I'm booking myself in for counselling about this anxiety which is general across many areas of my life, but I was wondering if anyone here would be kind enough to offer some reassurance specifically to driving, as that is definitely my main problem.

Many thanks, and sorry for sounding like such a nutcase :(
    No worries :), the more you drive the more confident you will get, and eventually those replays will stop.

As for losing sleep, that isn't good, if you drive tired you are more likely to make a mistake, so you need your sleep, maybe try some herbal help to get a good nights sleep k

Your mum IS right by the way, and to be honest if your overstressing about speed cameras while driving and going half the speed, you ARE being a risk so it is important that you calm down, k

I think counseling would be a good idea, and I hope you realise that you are a good driver and nothing bad is likely to happen if you are a good driver, you don't sound like a nutcase, I completely understand (and reminisce back to when I did it ) but it will go away, you just have to keep telling yourself you're a good driver, have you tried playing positive music with you to help boost yourself esteeme and confidence that would help I think :)

Good luck and see you on the roads ;)
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Jun 28, 2009, 07:05 AM

When you go to counselling ask about how to deal with obsessive compulsive thoughts as well because the techniques they use to help people with OC disorder. You should be able to apply and benefit with those same methods.
    Is there anywhere like way out on some country roads you could take roads where you don't have to worry about cameras and police/bobbies?
    One thing they teach you about OCD is that doing the very thing you fear is what helps you over come that fear.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My PMS Is so severe its ruining my life. Is there any way to fix it? [ 17 Answers ]

About a week and a half before my peiriod(and during), I get so emotional and have so many depressing mood swings that it is ruining my relationships with others. Most of the time I fight with my boyfriend it is around this time. I am tired of these feelings getting in the way of my life and I am...

Depression is ruining my life and I don't know what to do [ 5 Answers ]

I was diagnosed with depression in August 2006. I have been taking anti-depressents since then but they don't help. I was signed off work for a month in April and my work monitored me constantly, because I was not performin well enough, they told me that if I didn't resign I would be sacked, so I...

DARK UNDERARMS are ruining my life [ 6 Answers ]

I have dark underarms -- and I hate them. I can't wear anything that I want to wear. Whenever I want to wear a cute sleeveless top I get slapped by the reality that I can never show my dark armpits to anyone. It also hurts myself confidence. I feel so gross and pitiful. :( I can't afford one of...

View more questions Search