Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    iam5050 Posts: 7, Reputation: 2

Jun 21, 2009, 02:14 AM
    Basment Slab
    I have a thin slab that is really wavy, lots of cracks... Not trying to tie up thousands into it, but would like to have a nice clean area for kids, wife and me to haves areas where we can do things...

Very difficult with wavy floors and in the mid west - the rain hits hard several times per year VERY HARD!

area is 19' x 32'

What would you all do? To right the ship??
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 21, 2009, 09:34 AM

Are you talking about a slab foundation under your home or an outside patio slab?

Jun 22, 2009, 03:50 PM
    Slab foundation in the basement of my home
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 22, 2009, 03:59 PM

Hard to tell what's under this slab since its very poorly constructed. There may be too little gravel and vapor barrier. I would recommend total tear out and a new gravel, barrier and 3" pour. Patching with 2" may get you sometime but the uncertainty of the old floor indicates it may just continue to crack further and take the patch with it.

Jun 22, 2009, 04:15 PM
    Thanks - that was my thought and what I was afraid of the answer being.

Is this what you do for a living? Do you know what avg. rates are per sq ft?
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Jun 22, 2009, 06:14 PM

Average rate is between 5 to 7 dollar a square foot for a tear out and replace. I recommend a 3 1/2" plus Crete floor at min 3500 Psi...

Bal gave good advice here re do it.....

When we lay out a job like this we add a sump pump pit or and out of basement drain tile around the basement inside walls and punch through foundation wall and out to a sloped yard if grades permits. Might as well do it 100% right the second time.

Min would be 3" crushed stone 6" crushed stone one the inside perimeters, then a vapor barrier over that with 3.5 inches of Crete over barrier. Also a Crete sealer after it dries out...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Washer in basment [ 2 Answers ]

How to hook up a washer in the basment?

Connecting new concrete slab to old slab for an addition [ 1 Answers ]

I want to expand my master bed room/walk in closet to house. Need to puor new slb for addition and connect to the old slab.

Pouring new Concrete slab over OLD basement slab [ 2 Answers ]

I have a house placed on its exsisting foundation and basement concrete floor in 1934. The floor is solid, uncracked, and level but has several areas that are very uneven. To the point, the basement is unusable for living space. Is it possible, and reasonable, to pour a new slab over the...

Leak under carpeted slab by bathroom door - does slab have to be ripped up? [ 2 Answers ]

Could the leak be caused from something else? There is no water on bathroom floor, but could it be the toilet seal? Or a clogged vent backing up water or sewer? Help, we don't have much money and need answers fast.

View more questions Search