Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Fredkatol Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 17, 2009, 07:46 AM
    KAIC Meaning
    What KAIC stands for? If there is a number before the word KAIC, what does it mean, say, 14 KAIC?

Thanks..
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jun 17, 2009, 08:11 AM

Killo Amp interrupting capacity
    danar Posts: 69, Reputation: 2

Jun 20, 2009, 11:30 AM

14KAIC this meas that your CB is capable to handle 14kiloampered fault current with out damging your cercuit breaker..
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jun 20, 2009, 12:26 PM
    Exactly.

The value is a rating of electrical overcurrent devices that if a fault exceeds it can result in catastrophic failure, or blow up into shrapnel.

To size this value, a short circuit coordination study needs to be done. Along with the impedance of transformers and copper wire due to distances, and voltages and current ratings, will either raise or lower the value equipment must be able to withstand.

This is a serious engineering task sometimes ignored.

Along with this info and additional detail, an Arc Flash study can and should be done.

Jul 18, 2009, 11:02 AM

Any body who knows the standard on the number of maximum operation of a circuit breaker under a fault condition?
    Newton1Law Posts: 60, Reputation: 5

Jul 20, 2009, 06:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by danar View Post
    Any body who knows the standard on the number of maximum operation of a circuit breaker under a fault condition?
    The ratings as I remember them are only for one operation at full rating. If this occurs, the circuit breaker should be replaced. Also in the discussions above, I found no comments on the asymetrical fault duty for the circuit breaker. This should also be considered.

Jul 20, 2009, 09:39 PM

Does this mean that after a cb is trip on earth or line to line fault it is not allowed to swith on again after clearing the fault?
    Newton1Law Posts: 60, Reputation: 5

Jul 21, 2009, 06:29 AM
    Ratings for circuit breaker interrupting capability may be different for different voltage, current and circuit parameters. For most in home, 240/120 volt circuit breakers rated for 200 amps on down to 15 amp circuit breakers, if they have an AIC rating for 10,000 amps symmetrical or asymmetrical. If a short circuit to ground or phase to phase or line to line develops and due to system parameters (voltage, impedance, X/R ratio, etc.) the current level reaches 10,000 amps, the circuit breaker is designed to successfully interrupt this current for one time. It should be replaced with a new CB at that time.

Since most faults are well below the AIC rating of the CB, it is OK to reset it and reuse to protect the circuit. The ratings are based on how much energy the CB can mechanically and electrically withstand and may be measured by the cumulative amount of IIt, or I squared multiplied by the time it takes for the current to reach zero. So if the CB is designed to interrupt the full fault of 10,000 amps in 0.0333 seconds then a total of 3.3 million amp-seconds of energy are what it is designed to handle. If we assume most short circuits seen in a home are on the average of 1500 amps, you could say the CB can be used 2,222 times successfully.

This same application of total energy is used for 12 kV through 500 kV circuit breakers used by most power companies. In their case however, the circuit breaker is overhauled in accordance with the manufacturer’s recommendation or an internal procedure developed through operating experience and performance.

I hope this helped.
    mackycan Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 24, 2010, 08:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by danar View Post
    for KAIC rating we have what we called Icu/Ics.. Icu-ultimate, Ics-service
    for ex you have a kAIC rating of 15/7.5 (Icu/Ics)

if there's a short circuit or major fault along the system >=15,000A, then the CB will trip to protect the ckt and needs to be replaced after.

But, if there's a fault along the system >= 7500A , then the CB will trip to protect the system too. Take note that CB can still be used for 3 times (up to 10 times for some, it depends on the manufacturer) under the same condition.

I would appreciate any feedbacks. Twitter name: MackyCan
    (if you need Induction motors, freq inverter, ac motor controls, MCCB, and other electrical products please contact me through mcanay {at} taiandotcomdotph)
    rob100 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 14, 2011, 08:48 AM
    Kaic means a circuit breaker can withstand without damaging with fault occur on it.
    rob100 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 14, 2011, 08:49 AM
    Comment on rob100's post
    When
    gerlon Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 5, 2012, 09:20 PM
    Kaic means kiloamps interrupting capacity, 1000amps is equivalent of 1 kaic, ex. When have a CB 50AT, 220V, 3 pole 60hz. 18 kaic, this means your CB is able to withstand or capable to handle up to 18kiloampered fault current without damaging its mechanism. However this will still depend on the manufactures recommendation.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Main disconnect breaker kAIC ratings? [ 4 Answers ]

Can I use a 10 kAIC main breaker in a main disconnect or does it have to be a 35 kAIC main breaker? I have a 10 kAIC, 225 amp breaker on hand, and I did not want to have to buy a new 225 amp 35 kAIC breaker if I did not have to. My indoor load center has a 10kAIC, but the outdoor, main disconnect,...

Interrupting Capacity (KAIc) [ 1 Answers ]

Could you please provide a formula for the computation of Interrupting capacity of circuit braker.

Meaning of SKU [ 1 Answers ]

What is the meaning of SKU

Meaning of bad p***y? [ 24 Answers ]

One of my best friends has a problem but I don't know what to tell her she thinks she has a bad (p***y) but I don't know how to explain how bad p***y is can someone help asap I'm tired of her asking :(??

Other meaning of a name [ 2 Answers ]

Is there any other meaning for the name 'Harrison' other than son of harry?

View more questions Search