Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bc472556 Posts: 40, Reputation: 2

Jun 16, 2009, 08:48 AM
    Heroin recovry time. Support needed
    Ok so if you have read my other post you know my boyfriend has admitted that he had a heroin problem. I don't know anything about the drug or the affects. I know that last night he got very drunk and he was very depressed because he has been getting blamed for problems with his friend and his dad is dying of cancer and I guess he doesn't know how to solve his problems with out drugs. And even though he hasn't used them when he gets stressed and upset like this that's all he can think abou and he craves it and he said it controls him.. well he woke up his parents last night and made them take him to the hospital cause he can't live like this. So now he will be detoxed for 3 days then moved to rehab.. how long is rehab? And what am I supposed to do? I want to support him I'm in love with him but he needs to fix him before he can worry about me I'm still going to be here I'm fine I'm not the one with the problem I just don't know what to do.
    Megan2345 Posts: 239, Reputation: 8

Jun 16, 2009, 09:21 AM

Typically rehab programs are 28 days. There are programs that can last for about 18 months. It differs, you'd have to find out what kind of rehab place he's going to.
    OzSocialWorker Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jun 19, 2009, 07:12 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by bc472556 View Post
    Ok so if you have read my other post you know my boyfriend has admitted that he had a heroin problem. I don't know anything about the drug or the affects.

Heroin is a depressant. Heroin is a powder substance that is mixed with water, heated, then injected. Shortly after, it generally makes people very relaxed and sleepy. Users report feeling calm and happy.

I know that last night he got very drunk and he was very depressed because he has been getting blamed for problems with his friend and his dad is dying of cancer and i guess he doesn't know how to solve his problems with out drugs. and even tho he hasn't used them when he gets stressed and upset like this thats all he can think abou and he craves it and he said it controls him.. well he woke up his parents last night and made them take him to the hospital cause he can't live like this.
    Drugs can become a copy strategy. It is a regular pattern for people who are stress to use the category of drugs known as depressants, which includes alcohol and heroin, as it slows the body's processes down, and brings about a sense of calmness.

So now he will be detoxed for 3 days then moved to rehab.. how long is rehab? and what am i supposed to do? I want to support him I'm in love with him but he needs to fix him before he can worry about me I'm still gunna be here I'm fine I'm not the one with the problem I just don't know what to do.

Rehab differs depending on where you live.

People can only stop drug use if they want to, it is difficult to force someone to do so.

Google "cycle of change" and it will Googly the process of shaping a life without drugs. However, often drugs aren't the only problem, other problems such as family issues or illness etc So a holistic approach should be taken. Hopefully your boyfriend has linked in with a rehab service. Is he on methadone or suboxone? Or did he go cold turkey? Following discharge from the detox service is he on a methadone or suboxone reduction plan? If he is, another way to support him is to learn about these medications and how they work and how you can support him as he reduces.

Ceasing substance use is more than removing the drugs from a persons system...

I have worked in this area for a while, please free to ask me further questions.

Best wishes.
    slapshot_oi Posts: 1,537, Reputation: 589
    Ultra Member

Jun 23, 2009, 08:51 AM
    how long is rehab? and what am i supposed to do? I want to support him I'm in love with him but he needs to fix him before he can worry about me I'm still gunna be here I'm fine I'm not the one with the problem I just don't know what to do.
    A good friend of mine went to rehab for this and there were there for about a month, but it depends on the program. I'm sure you can find out the length of his stay.

You can write letters to him and let him know you've got his back, that's probably the best thing you can do.
    MeghanM Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jun 29, 2009, 11:12 PM
    You can help him by going to alanon meetings. The meetings will help you to cope and better understand what he is going through. The family of an addict is just as sick as the addict himself. You take care of you while he takes care of him.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Materials needed for sales support [ 1 Answers ]

What materials/market information will sales people be expecting when I hire them? I work in the commercial and residential service industry.

FriendShip is slowley falling. Support is needed :( [ 2 Answers ]

OK I'm 14 and I'm a boy. My best friend asked me to come with him to some baseball game that these kids and some adults are going to have at some park. I said sure ill go. (there was 2 of these games and we went to both). Just to put out. I knew him for almost 8 years and some reason he can't...

He needed time [ 20 Answers ]

Ok, so here it goes. Over the summer I became involved with an old friend who was going through a divorce. We started talking in feb and didn't hang out until June when his wife moved out. We saw each other once or twice weekly(we both have children) He always treated me to dinner and drinks, and...

View more questions Search