Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    WONDERINGHERE Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 15, 2009, 09:18 PM
    VOP in Florida
    My sister was on Probation for two cases in Florida. She was put on probation for 18 months. She has since gotten arrested again for grand theft 3rd degree over 300 under 20000. She goes to early resolution tomorrow this case. She does not have a court date until the 29th of June for her VOP cases. I am assuming that she will have to stay in jail until her VOP hearings for the other two cases?
    What would the chances be of her just getting extended probation? Her need is not jail, her need is a source of rehab,bridge... something to help her... not teach her more ways to do something... as we all know most of the ones that go to jail learn from other inmates. She unfortunately got addicted to RX drugs... I did not know this until it was too late.
    felonouschick Posts: 33, Reputation: 1
    -

Jun 16, 2009, 03:46 PM

Usually on VOP, there's what's called a probation hold, (no bailing out). In rare cases the P.O. will lift the hold, but it's VERY rare. Your sister will have to wait until the probation hearing to get it lifted. There are a lot of programs for drug addict, they're different in every state, but if sis wants help, bringing that up in the hearing might help.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 16, 2009, 05:05 PM

If she needs to be in rehab why was she not in rehab before she got arrested? I would assume because she does not want to be.

Now when arrested all of a sudden they all want rehab since they got caught.

But I would say this is a third issue, my guess ( and it is just that, it will depend on the judge you get often) but my opinion, some additional jail time for the vioaltion of probation. But first worry will be as a third crime, they may require jail time for this
    felonouschick Posts: 33, Reputation: 1
    -

Jun 16, 2009, 06:10 PM

It's never too late to make a change for the better. Everyone comes to things in there own time and supporting your sister if she wants help is a good thing. Hang in there.
    WONDERINGHERE Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 16, 2009, 06:33 PM
    Thanks for the responses. She went to court today on the Grand Theft one... she got another court date... July 15th.. for a Docket Sounding. I think the offer she turned down was 18 months in Ocala at some inst. And then 6-8 months house arrest when she got out. I guess her PD told her that it could be better and for her to wait. Now I do not know how that works... but she could bail out. She told my brother in law something about this was a result of combining all of the charges together. But far as I see she has to see a different judge for the VOP cases. Any input from anyone? And as far as her getting counseling, she did... but I guess she stopped going... she lost a good job and she knows better than this.. but really all in all depression is a bigggg part of this I think... and also a Dr giving her pain meds when she didn't need them... Thanks to all for listening and helping my mind get a break
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 16, 2009, 07:45 PM

I think she will serve more time than the offer, if there is no chance of her being found not guility, and it goes to trial, with this being a thrd offense, while on probation ( I think for two other probations)

They could get the full time of the original probation to serve in prison fairly easy, normally the DA offer is something to keep it from court and about 2/3 to 1/2 of what they expect them to get at trial

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Florida State University? University of Florida? [ 1 Answers ]

Hey all. I live in southwest Florida, and I'm almost a senior in high school. I really need to start thinking about college, but I feel so overwhelmed and nervous. I've decided I want to go to school for herbology, but I have no idea where to go from here. I am so shy and I struggle with change, so...

Florida HOA [ 2 Answers ]

What rights do homeowners have to hold HOA accountable for enforcing property upkeep? The community documents do not spell out my rights. Where and how would I go about obtaining that documentation?

Florida Law [ 1 Answers ]

Is Florida a community property state?:rolleyes:

From NYC to Florida [ 3 Answers ]

I'm writing a story for school and I need info about how long it takes to fly on a jet from New York City to Palm Beach Florida does anybody know about how long? I really need that info... Thanks

View more questions Search